VIP622 handling of OTA-HD reflections?

Marzen

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
How does the VIP622 (or any model) of OTA-HD receiver deal with signal reflections? Does it incorporate an error compensation circuit or a PLL?

Regards,
Ward

I have a 622 and live about 3 miles from the TV towers. I bought the top line Wineguard HD antenna. I was losing the signal all the time (I was getting to strong of a signal). Then I connected a small bowtie antenna and got better reception. One of my problems I live in the woods so the signal bounces around. With analog I got a lot of double images. With digital it's a totally different. I tried the tuner on my Sony verses the 622 and they both do a great job, in my opinion. I didn't answer your question but thought I'd tell you my experience.

The 622 and the 211 do not handle multi-path very well at all.

Agreed. But in all honesty I've tried the built in tuner in my Samsung TV and an HD Samsung TV and they both have problems with multipath. I live in an area surrounded by tall trees and hills so that's most likely the problem.

Well, I think I'll change ANT inputs to analogue and see if there's any ghosting that would indicate signal reflections on the only HD channel (VHF) I can't receive. I'm using rabbit ears (VHF/UHF) and live within 8 miles and <30° of all towers.
I'm not sure why only one (CBS) VHF station would have refection issues when the others don't. I have a roof antenna that I haven't mounted yet due to severe cold and snow. Other than that we've been really pleased with the recent ($199) VIP622 receiver upgrade. We use it in our basement theater on a 106" 16:9 screen with a Panasonic AX100U pj.
I was disappointed to read here that the hdmi output only supports 2 channel audio, seems like too nice a receiver to scrimp on the hdmi decoder chip though.
Thanks,
Ward

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts