Vip622 modulator and CATV issue

frankb

Original poster
Nov 1, 2006
london, Ontario, Canada
I am unable to to get cable channels in the modulator setup.

Set to cable, channels 73/75 but "connection" is grayed out. The cable signal strong. I am able to "see" Digital channels on Local set up with same coaxial i/p. (switched to Antenna feed while testing local setup). I have tried various channels above the existing CATV channels.
Ideas or pointer to solution would be appreicated. I have read similiar threads here but no fix.
Regards

VIP 622 and ATV

Not sure what you are trying to do.. But you can't get cable channels through the dish receiver like the OTA Digital channels come through

Thank you for the prompt reply Mark.

However, the way I read the manual and the modulator set-up help, it does lead me to believe it can be done. OTA thru Local set-up and CATV thru Modulator set-up. Do not nderstand why the connection button in the Mod set-up is grayed out. Possibly need a trap for some frequencies (?)

If I find a way, possibly resorting to talking to DN tech support, I will post the result either way. I am a bit of a bulldog when it comes to tech issues.

Thanks again for you prompt reply Mark.

Regards

However, the way I read the manual and the modulator set-up help, it does lead me to believe it can be done. OTA thru Local set-up and CATV thru Modulator set-up..

The cable/modulator is solely for choosing cable range channels for TV2 to tune to, ie Ch 80. Dish receivers do not have QAM (cable freq.) tuners.

VIP622 and CATV

The cable/modulator is solely for choosing cable range channels for TV2 to tune to, ie Ch 80. Dish receivers do not have QAM (cable freq.) tuners.

Thank you KAB for your insight. Might as well be old channels 3 and 4. Too bad, DN really had the opportunity to really shine better with this product. I guess they do not want any competition. QED!protest

Regards

The modulator will only combine the receiver's output through the home distribution to match the signal with cable to other tv's. It does not allow cable channels into the receiver. Many have tried with no luck getting it to work. As stated above, Dish HD receivers do not have analog or QAM tuners.

Modulator is an output, not an input

Connection button used to add/remove attenuator, may only be active when TV2 selected (not near my recever at the moment to check)

Above the existing cable channel numbers is not necessarily "clear". Lots of stuff related to digital cable and/or cable modems. The cable company won't tell you what is where.

The highest "numbered" channel on my cable is 78. A scan with a QAM-equiped TV finds lots of digital channels. With a low-pass filter (pass 78 and below) inserted, I lose a bunch of the digital channels.

I've got another low-pass filter that passes below a higher channel number. Been meaning to use it and see it I get some of them back. Then I'd set the 722k to modulate above that.

In any event, after you combine the modulated channels with the CATV you'll need to connect it directly to the tv (ant/cable RF input)

Mark

The easiest way to look at this is to rember that the modulator is an out put not an input. As for the input screen it is a bit misleading since it discusses cable but it will not tune QAM signals.

Thank you KAB for your insight. Might as well be old channels 3 and 4. Too bad, DN really had the opportunity to really shine better with this product.

And they have. Remember, satellite company. Not cable.

Actually the OTA tuners can tune cable channels, In HDTV setup the first column is Off aIr Cable HRC and IRC, the rub is that it liiks for ATSC instead of QAM signals. If you hav a cable system that transmitts HD via ATSC instead of QAM you're in luck (I do not know of any that do).

You can test this by setting it to cable and tuning your ota antenna to a VHF channel, if you have one and it will show up, but the UHF channels will not because the frequencies of UHF OTA channels are different from the UHF cable channels. Some subs found this when their receiver arrived set that way and the only OTA Channels they could find were VHF.

This is probably an anacronism from something, somewhere.

If Dish had made this a cable QAM tuner instead of a cable ATSC tuner they would have a gold mine considering all the crappy cable DVR's out there.

Is the ATSC tuner on these in software or hardware, if software, it might be possible to make it QAM? NAAA!!

Thank you again for your valuable information. Actually DN has the solution on their Tech Portal

"http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/receiver/622.shtml"

Using a third party Super Home Node which retails on the web for under $8.00 seems to be the device to solve the problem. I will order one unit and post the results when I receive the device and test it.

Thanks to you all for your help. I hope you holiday season is a great safe one.

Regards

Last edited:
Thank you again for your valuable information. Actually DN has the solution on their Tech Portal

"http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/receiver/622.shtml"

Using a third party Super Home Node which retails on the web for under $8.00 seems to be the device to solve the problem. I will order one unit and post the results when I receive the device and test it.

Thanks to you all for your help. I hope you holiday season is a great safe one.

Regards

The SHN will take off-air/Cable to your TVs, but you still will not able to tune them (QAM cable) in on the Dish receiver if that is what you are still trying to achieve.

Just trying to integrate the o/p of the VIP622 into my existing distribution system. Right now, except for the family room which is on HDMI, I either have cable or DN. All I want to do is inject the DN RX o/p - e.g. ch 73 - into the existing cable line up.
Regards

Thank you KAB for your insight. Might as well be old channels 3 and 4. Too bad, DN really had the opportunity to really shine better with this product. I guess they do not want any competition. QED!protest

Regards

Nah 3 and 4 would be bad. You can't mesh your receiver with other services that might have channel 3 and 4 taken.

The SHN will take off-air/Cable to your TVs, but you still will not able to tune them (QAM cable) in on the Dish receiver if that is what you are still trying to achieve.

Understand. That was never a requirement. Just wante to provide the DN o/p channel to the rest of my house cable system.

Cheers
f

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)