VIP622 non-HD channel audio loss

EnduroGuy

Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Hi all. New member here. I got a problem so here goes...

I have a VIP622 (since last year) with HD programming. As of the morning of 8/19/08, I have lost audio signal from non-HD channels only. (The VIP622 PCM audio is not working through my 5.1 receiver)

The VIP622's HDMI goes straight to my HDTV, then the HDTV has a COAX audio output that's connected to my 5.1 receiver. This has worked flawlessly for almost a year. Now all of a sudden only HD channels have sound through my 5.1 system.

Here's the real twist. If I turn up the volume on the HDTV using the TV speakers, the non-HD channel audio can be heard through the HDTV speakers only.

I've verified that the HDMI and COAX cables are not faulty.

I verified that the VIP622 digital audio settings are on "Dolbly Digital/PCM" and "Line" enabled.

I tried resetting the VIP622 receiver via power button/power down re-boot to no avail. I was going to attempt the "Smart Card" method but there is no card in the slot. (I wonder why is there no smart card?)

The reason I have COAX going to the 5.1 from the HDTV is for the luxury of not having to switch audio sources on my 5.1 rcvr everytime I choose different A/V devices. In other words, the way I currently have it set up is "what goes into the HDTV, goes to the 5.1 rcvr via (1) COAX from the HDTV regardless whether I'm watching DVD from one player, or VHS from another player, or satellite programming from the VIP622".

I don't have an option of using the VIP's Toslink to go to my 5.1 rcvr as I have it already going to my DVR/DVD/VHS player. Besides, I hate to bastardize my seamless approach that I like to think that I have now.

I can't help but think Dish has changed someting about their PCM signals. I have sent them (Dish tech support) an e-mail to see what they think, or whether they have changed something...

Anyone have a clue?

FYI:

My 5.1 rcvr is a Sony STR-K402 5.1. It has (1) Toslink "in" and (1) Digital COAX "in". I only use this Sony rcvr for sound. (No video at all is processed through the 5.1 rcvr)

I have a Philips (50PFP5332D) 50" HDTV that has (2) HDMI "in", a couple of other Component and Composite connections BUT only (1) Digital Audio COAX "out". That is the reason why I use the COAX "in" on my 5.1 rcvr.

So, I have a Sony upconverting DVD player w/HDMI "out" to the HDTV. I have a Panasonic DVR/DVD/VHS combo with component "out" to the HDTV. Then finally the VIP622 with HDMI out to the HDTV.

The multiple connections available on my HDTV accomodates all of my inputs from all of my individual players, etc... The audio signal from those inputs (the(1) Digital Audio COAX "out" from the HDTV) goes straight to my Sony 5.1 rcvr's Digital COAX "in".

I'm not exactly sure right now (without being home to look) but I think the VIP's extra Toslink and Component Video for TV1 goes to my Panasonic DVR/DVD/VHS combo player.

Crazy hey?

Remember, this all worked perfectly for dang near a year until 3 days ago.

FWIW, I might add that when I initially turn on the VIP (to a SD channel), HDTV and Sony 5.1 rcvr, the sound does come through the Sony 5.1 rcvr for just a few seconds, then it's gone.

Makes it even stranger I suppose.

Hi all. New member here. I got a problem so here goes...

I have a VIP622 (since last year) with HD programming. As of the morning of 8/19/08, I have lost audio signal from non-HD channels only. (The VIP622 PCM audio is not working through my 5.1 receiver)

The VIP622's HDMI goes straight to my HDTV, then the HDTV has a COAX audio output that's connected to my 5.1 receiver. This has worked flawlessly for almost a year. Now all of a sudden only HD channels have sound through my 5.1 system.

Here's the real twist. If I turn up the volume on the HDTV using the TV speakers, the non-HD channel audio can be heard through the HDTV speakers only.

I've verified that the HDMI and COAX cables are not faulty.

I verified that the VIP622 digital audio settings are on "Dolbly Digital/PCM" and "Line" enabled.

I tried resetting the VIP622 receiver via power button/power down re-boot to no avail. I was going to attempt the "Smart Card" method but there is no card in the slot. (I wonder why is there no smart card?)

The reason I have COAX going to the 5.1 from the HDTV is for the luxury of not having to switch audio sources on my 5.1 rcvr everytime I choose different A/V devices. In other words, the way I currently have it set up is "what goes into the HDTV, goes to the 5.1 rcvr via (1) COAX from the HDTV regardless whether I'm watching DVD from one player, or VHS from another player, or satellite programming from the VIP622".

I don't have an option of using the VIP's Toslink to go to my 5.1 rcvr as I have it already going to my DVR/DVD/VHS player. Besides, I hate to bastardize my seamless approach that I like to think that I have now.

I can't help but think Dish has changed someting about their PCM signals. I have sent them (Dish tech support) an e-mail to see what they think, or whether they have changed something...

Anyone have a clue?

I have the same configuration as you, except with a 722 and I have the same problem. With software 6.12 I can get the SD audio back by tinkering with the Dolby Digital settings on the 722 (Menu, 6, 7). After every change to the settings I need to change the channel on the TV off the Sat(HDMI) input and then back to the Sat input. Most the time I will get about 3 seconds of audio and then it cuts out. I believe this has something to do with HDCP maybe. Not real sure though.

Please keep us informed if E* support actually provides any good info.

My audio config worked perfectly before the "Turbocharged" 6.10 update.

Eureka!

I do believe we have a problem in Dish's latest s/w upgrade then.

I'll let you know what they say but I have a feeling that Dish isn't gonna give a rat's behind about our audio problem though. Especially if it's just a few customers experiencing the issue. I hope I'm wrong...

This is actually quite amazing because I'm also using a philips plasma and a sony receiver. The receiver I have is the STR-K620p though.

I know this worked fine before but I wonder if there might be some settings on the receiver. I know the TV is getting an audio signal from the 722 on SD channels but for some reason it isn't being forwarded to the Sony receiver or the receiver doesn't know what to do with it. I'll tinker with the receiver settings and see if I can come up with anything.

This HAS to be a Dish Network software change that inflicted a problem upon us (and people with similar hardware configurations).

They changed something in the last few days with their PCM signal strength or something.

I still haven't received a reply from them but it has only been 14 hours or so since I sent them the e-mail. However, I don't like the smell of this at all...

The thing that keeps confusing me is that TV is receiving the audio signal on the SD channels since you can turn the volume up on the TV and hear it but it doesn't seem to be passing it to the receiver.

I agree that the software update from E* caused the change but I'm wondering if there are other ways to correct the issue.

I have been having a similar issue but not on SD, on HD. My receiver is attached via optical and i thought i just had a bad recording of Flashpoint from the OTA last night.. everyones voice was muffled. Went over to sat channels, all fine. A little while later switched to a live movie in HD and same thing.... then a recording of PEnn and Teller from Showtime had zero sound for a segment (playing another recording then going back to it fixed that).

So what seems to be happening here is that i am loosing the center channel. I get music/background etc all fine but cant hear the voices! Its bizarre. Will continue to check this tonight, happens both live and recorded. Tested receiver from HDDVD and no issues there.

did you try sending the email to ceo @ dishnetwork.com without the spaces?

No, I used Dish website's "Support"-->"Contact Us"-->"Email Us"--> "Category: Technical" email option.

Should I give the ceo email a whirl?

Otherwise, I was considering calling them up directly this weekend if I didnt get a reply by noon or so on Saturday.

I figure for this issue wouldn't the the dishquality e-mail be better to use?

FTR, the 622 audio works fine via HDMI into my receiver. The SD channel audio is still many, many dB's louder than the HD channel audio.

I use Toslink out on my 211. I've noticed no change. I believe the issue is as was previously stated an issue with the software changes to the 622/722 rather than an issue with Dish Network overall.

Enduroguy,

Your HDMI Cable from your dish 622 receiver to your TV only puts out PCM only, if you want Dolby 5.1 your going to have to run a Toslink cable from your 622 to your audio receiver. The digital cable your running right now from your TV to your audio receiver only puts out 5.1 digital audio if it's an Over the air program broadcasting from off the air antenna.

The HDMI output definitely carries Dolby 5.1.

You may or may not be right about the optical output from the TV, depending on what TV it is. But he's saying he got sound before, and doesn't now. I think most TVs will at least output a 2-channel PCM signal from their optical jacks even if they're receiving an HDMI signal.

The real solution, of course, is to get a video-switching receiver. But this doesn't address the issue of why something changed with the change in Dish software.

Also, many people are saying that with the latest software the volume levels are closer between HD and SD channels. This seems to be true for me; however, it also seems to me that my receiver's ProLogic II processor is having a very hard time synthesizing any surround content from 2-channel signals since the change. I hope this is just a coincidence involving what channels I've been watching, and not Dish smashing the dynamic range of the SD channels' audio worse than it already was.

I'm also having this problem and it appears to have coincided with the Turbo update. HD sounds just fine but will cut in and out during an SD commercial, although not every time. Also, while watching the football game last night in SD (unfortunately), the audio during MOST of the game was just fine (it did get worse later in the game), but the audio during the commercials was terrible. I've got the Yamaha YSP4000 and the graphic displaying the 5.1 kept flickering on and off in sync with the audio.

I've rebooted my 622 and it had no effect.

Should i message tech support through Dish's website or send an email to the CEO address?

I'm also having this problem and it appears to have coincided with the Turbo update. HD sounds just fine but will cut in and out during an SD commercial, although not every time. Also, while watching the football game last night in SD (unfortunately), the audio during MOST of the game was just fine (it did get worse later in the game), but the audio during the commercials was terrible. I've got the Yamaha YSP4000 and the graphic displaying the 5.1 kept flickering on and off in sync with the audio.

I've rebooted my 622 and it had no effect.

Should i message tech support through Dish's website or send an email to the CEO address?

Both!

Here's what Dish's email reply to me said:

Thank you for your email. We apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused. Please perform the following steps to correct your audio issue.
1. Make sure the volume is up on the TV or Stereo system.
2. Change channels to verify that the issue is not isolated to one particular station.
3. Reset the receiver:
• If you have a Smart Card then remove the smartcard until the system information screen appears on the screen, then reinsert. The receiver will reset and acquire satellite signal. Once this is complete picture and audio should return.
• If your Smart Card is built in, then press and hold the power button on the front of the receiver for 10 seconds. The receiver will reset and acquire satellite signal. Once this is complete picture and audio should return.
If audio has not returned please continue:
4. Verify that your audio cables are securely connected.
5. If the satellite receiver is connected through a stereo, make sure the stereo is in the correct mode.
6. If you have a DVD player or VCR, insert a movie into it and verify that there is sound on the TV.
• If you do have audio, the television is working OK.
• If no audio is heard, check connections from VCR to TV. There is no problem with the receiver. The problem is between the VCR and the TV. The cable may need to be replaced. This would be more common when using RCA cables or an optical wire for Dolby Digital.
7. If you have the receiver connected directly to the TV then change the cable between the receiver and the TV.
Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have further questions you can respond to this e-mail or access our online technical support at the following link: http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/techportal/index.shtml
A Technical Service Representative is available via live chat 24 hours a day, 7 days per week regarding your concerns. Please click the following link to use this option. http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/techportal/content/tech/techchatadvcustformrf23.shtml
Thank you,
Heather F.
DISH Network Technical E-care

Here's my reply to that:

All of the suggestions below have been tried. I am absolutely convinced that Dish's latest software upgrade to my VIP622 has done something adverse to all Dish SD channels (that use PCM audio signals).

All HD channels perform good.. All Dish SD channels do not perform. This is not acceptable for the money I pay per month for Dish service. If this can't be rectified I'll have no choice but to cancel my service with Dish and go another route.

Please advise.

Well fellas, this doesnt look good at all...

Well, I was testing out an HDMI cable this weekend and I broke one of my HDMI inputs to my TV so I'm now using component and *gasp* rca (red & white) for audio. Now my problem has gone away, but that's because I'm no longer getting a 5.1 signal and just using PLII+ via the composite cables.

Heres a question for you EnduroGuy. Are you usingn a standard HDMI cable (male-male), or are you using an HDMI-DVI with a DVI-HDMI converter? I was using an HDMI-DVI with a DVI-HDMI converter that was given to my by the Dish Network installer. I wonder if using a standard HDMI (male-male) would have helped matters at all.

Well, I was testing out an HDMI cable this weekend and I broke one of my HDMI inputs to my TV so I'm now using component and *gasp* rca (red & white) for audio. Now my problem has gone away, but that's because I'm no longer getting a 5.1 signal and just using PLII+ via the composite cables.

Heres a question for you EnduroGuy. Are you usingn a standard HDMI cable (male-male), or are you using an HDMI-DVI with a DVI-HDMI converter? I was using an HDMI-DVI with a DVI-HDMI converter that was given to my by the Dish Network installer. I wonder if using a standard HDMI (male-male) would have helped matters at all.

Yes, I am using a standard male-male HDMI (Philips brand).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)