VIP722 an OTA antenna

AshaNeOmah

Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
This should be a pretty simple question to answer seeing as how I only am interested in a one tv setup....

I have moved into a new apartment in the Chattanooga, TN area that does not provide the option of cable television. I just had Dish Network installed yesterday and, much to my dismay, only two local stations are offered in HD on Dish. Therefore, I plan on purchasing an OTA antenna to receive these stations.

I live about 20 miles from the towers and am going to attempt an indoor antenna first but I have a feeling that I will not be satisfied with the reception. If this is the case, I will need to install an outdoor antenna. Now for the real question:

The new apartment was already wired for satellite TV. I did not have to drill through walls or the floor to hook up the dish to the television. I understand that the ViP722 has an OTA input but I cannot drill the appropriate holes to run a coaxial from my roof to the receiver.

Is there any way I can have both the satellite and the OTA antenna send the separate signals through the existing wiring and have both types of signal recognized by my receiver?

This will only be for a single television so it should be a clear yes or no. Feel free to use some technical jargon. I'm usually pretty good with tech but new to satellite tv.

If I'm understanding correctly, that sounds exactly like what the installer did on my setup. He installed a diplexer down in the basement where the satellite feed comes in, and a separator on the cable before it goes into the VIP722. That is then split again into the two satellite signals so I'm essentially sending 3 different signals over the same cable for short stretch.

Since you are only 20 miles away from the antennas I would try the indoor option first. Just be sure to buy the antenna from a place that has a good return policy. If it does not work then you can begin to worry. Why spend more if you do not need to. You can probably even make you own antenna that might even be better then the store bought antenna. Check this coat hanger antenna out [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw]YouTube - Coat Hanger HDTV Antenna![/ame]

:up

Considering All your OTA HD channels are uhf or high VHF, I would purchase a CM 4221 and put it behind my TV set. I know several who have done this with excellent success.

Ok. So indoor antennas are a no go. Just too many 'mountains' in the foothills of Appalachia to get the signals.

Let me get this straight. I have 2 dishes and wand to add an OTA antenna. That gives me three inputs. Can I have

1) 2 diplexers in series going into one coaxial and the
2) two in series to break the signal back up to go into my 722?

Is there a switch/multiplexer that may perform this better?

If a mod feels the need, move this to the technical forum. Didn't realize it was there.....

You would use two diplexers, one to join the sat and ota signal to bring into the home, one to separate them once inside probably by the receiver and then a DPP separator to feed both the sat inputs on the receiver. You do not need any diplexers to join the two sat signals together if you use Dish Pro Plus lnb's or switches as they will do this for you, also the separator comes with every dual tuner receiver.

Ah! Dish uses a separator to divide/unite the satellite signals? I had figured it was just a diplexer also.

So looks like 2 diplexers, 5'-10' of outdoor coaxial, a good outdoor antenna, and mounting equipment. Got to go shopping tomorrow....

Thanks for the help.

Ah! Dish uses a separator to divide/unite the satellite signals? I had figured it was just a diplexer also.

So looks like 2 diplexers, 5'-10' of outdoor coaxial, a good outdoor antenna, and mounting equipment. Got to go shopping tomorrow....

Thanks for the help.

There are differing types of diplexers, make sure your set is for ota and Dish. Not Direct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts