Vip722 Cabling

fharris770

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Georgia
Upgraded to a 722 from a 508 and 510 almost a year ago. Considering rerouting cables from dish to receiver. I have an opportunity to run cables from dish on roof into attic and down a chase to receiver. This would eliminate most outside cabling. Run would be about 25 feet longer than existing. Can I use barrel connectors to lengthen cables? Also, I discovered the installer used one of the two cables from dish to split to inputs on the 722. Then he connected the second cable from dish to the ANT input. I realized he wasn't the sharpest when he was on site, but hard to believe. Is there any advantage to eliminating the splitter and just using the two cables to the two SAT inputs?

Q: Can I use barrel connectors to lengthen cables?

A: Yes you can. However, it is not recommended. Barrels in the line can cause signal loss to the receiver and voltage drop to the LNB. If you choose to use barrels make sure that they can pass 2150 MHz and 19VDC. Also make sure that you use RG-6 cable with the same specs as above. It is also recommended that you do not bypass the system ground. If the install was completed to standards; the tech would have ran coax to a ground block, bonded that ground block to the home's electrical and then ran another line inside to the receiver.

Q: Also, I discovered the installer used one of the two cables from dish to split to inputs on the 722. Then he connected the second cable from dish to the ANT input. I realized he wasn't the sharpest when he was on site, but hard to believe. Is there any advantage to eliminating the splitter and just using the two cables to the two SAT inputs?

A: I am assuming that you are using the 722 as a two room setup. If this is true then the installer ran one line to the in/out of a diplexer. One side of the diplexer went into the separator and the other into the home distribution port on the receiver.

If you do not already have the tools (compression tool, cable stripper, compression fittings, etc...) you may wish to consider having a pro rerun the line. You may also be able to have Dish come out and move the lines for you. If you have the service plan they should only charge you $15. Just tell them that you want to move your equipment/lines and it should not be a problem.

I omitted reference to ground block. Yes, there was one from the prior install of the 508 and 510. I traced the two cables from the dish to the block and from there the two cables entering the house. One cable was split (DPP) to the two SAT inputs. The other cable actually did go to the ANT input. As I do not have an OTA antenna I had not paid attention to the connection previously. Yes there is a cable from the home distribution output. It again was a remainder from the previous install. I configured the output to send sat1 and sat2 to remote locations myself. All works. I appreciate the heads up on the possibility of getting the work done under my service plan. I will explore that option.

I don't know why the installer would hook up the antenna if you don't have one. But then again who knows maybe he thought every job needs a diplexer????

I hope you don't think I'm trying to discourage you from DIY. Sometimes it's just easier and cheaper having it done professionally.

If you need any more help there are alot of knowledgeable people on this site that can help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)