VIP722 OTA signal is great, but always dropping.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

--sexy-warlock--

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
Chattanooga
I have strong signal strength for my OTA stations, 85-95. But sometimes it will be great, and other times the signal drops every couple of seconds. It just drops from mid to upper 80's to 0 constantly.

Is this a known bug because plugging in my antenna directly to the TV I have no problems whatsoever.

Do you have an attic or can you mount a stronger antenna outside? Also, how far away are you from those VHF stations? Distance is not so hot for your type of antenna. Go to AntennaWeb

I am between 11 and 14 miles from those 3 stations, and I could get a better antenna and mount it outside, but I'm really just looking for the OTA to perform on par with a direct to tv hookup. I can watch for hours from the TV, with no problem and the signal staying above 85 at all times. But when using the 722 sometimes it's just as perfect, and other times it is 85+ to 0 every few seconds. :(

I am between 11 and 14 miles from those 3 stations, and I could get a better antenna and mount it outside, but I'm really just looking for the OTA to perform on par with a direct to tv hookup. I can watch for hours from the TV, with no problem and the signal staying above 85 at all times. But when using the 722 sometimes it's just as perfect, and other times it is 85+ to 0 every few seconds. :(

As gdarwin said, you are getting multipathing. Location, height and antenna type can overcome it, without amplification. It is a know fact that the tuners in most Dish receivers are not as able as most TV's own...so you need to feed them a little more "octane".

I always hook up my OTA antenna directly to my Toshiba Regza HDTV. Too may problems using the cruddy ViP tuner. I know I can't record OTA which is not reliable or pause it and stuff but at least I know it works.

Sounds like you have the same problem as the OP. I'm recording and time shifting Idol off the air right now and also recording another HD local off the sat.

I have the same problem. I have an AntennasDirect C4 that has a 65 mile range and our tower is 15 miles away. Signal is usually 98-100% directly to the sets, about 5-10% lower through the boxes. The antenna is mounted up on top of my chimney with my two dishes. The Field Super that came out to check why my 1000.2 is dropping 129, said, while he was seeing for himself the PQ between OTA direct and through the box, of which he was grateful to see and amazed that OTA direct was so much better, confirmed that there are "issues" with the OTA sections. AND the way the software is built to "notify" you of dropped channels gets in the way. This is a known issue by DISH, and no word if it will ever be addressed, if at all.

Antenna030310.jpg

The two dishes are leftovers from a two 500 DPP set up that I was forced to change to a 1000.2 in order to get a 722. Now they are saying that since I'm having issues with 129 they are going to switch me to a "two dish set up". Hmmm, didn't I have one of those before? The 1000.2 is connected to a 722 & 625 and the 500, repurposed a year after the 1000.2 was installed, to a 501 (just to keep things clean).

Had this same issue, just posted in technical discussions that I was using a DB8 and getting 99% on all stations and still had the error '002, searching for satellite". Disconnected the antenna, subscribed to locals and nothing for two days now.

Crosses fingers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)