ViP722k "in-home distribution output"

Joe4U

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Continental, CO
The down-converted coaxial "in-home distribution output" from our ViP722k receiver has worked fine when connected to old-fashioned standard definition tube televisions.

Recently I purchased a new Vizio 22" 1080p HD flat screen which I took home and tested on the hdmi connection and it looked great, very crisp and clear with natural looking color. Then I tested it on the coaxial connection, and it looked blurry and distorted. So I reluctantly returned the Vizio to the retailer and started making phone calls to other electronics stores to see if they carried either the old-style tube TVs or a modern flat screen that would be compatible with the 722k's down-converted standard definition signal.

According to everyone I've spoken with thus far, any of the new HD flat screens will not look nearly as good in standard definition as the old-style tube televisions that were designed for it. There are local thrift stores in our area that occasionally carry like-new used standard definition CRT TVs for dirt cheap. I'm not that picky, and I can always go upstairs and watch our 1080i big screen to get my "high def" fix. If anyone reading this knows of a better or newer type of television that can be connected to the coaxial output of the 722k and get a good picture, I'm interested to find out more about it.

Any HD TV will not display a good SD signal due to it having to strech the 4:3 SD aspect ratio to fill the 16:9 HD screen. I would take a look at getting a HD reciever for that room, such as a 211K or the new Hopper / Joey system.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

It's true, SD on an HD TV will look worse than on a standard tube TV as since the HDTV is capable of higher resolutions, it makes flaws in the SD feed stand out. There is also the issue with the aspect ratio. You either have to stretch it which looks awful, deal with black bars on the side, or zoom in which cuts off the top and bottom, and further makes flaws stand out.

I got a 25" tube TV at the thrift store the other day for $30 for the garage. It's plenty good enough for when I'm working on the car and whatnot. I have three other HDTVs if I want HD.

Any HD TV will not display a good SD signal due to it having to strech the 4:3 SD aspect ratio to fill the 16:9 HD screen.
Stretching is not required or even recommended.

The issue has nothing to do with aspect ratio but rather that new TVs aren't designed to deal with the vagaries of NTSC signals.

The OP's problem may have more to do with the channel chosen than the TV being crummy.

My HD CRT from 2007 displays SD channels fine...even better than SD CRT TVs due to its upconvert circuitry. It's a shame the industry completely phased out the proven CRT technology in favor of flat panel plasma/lcd.

dare2be said:
My HD CRT from 2007 displays SD channels fine...even better than SD CRT TVs due to its upconvert circuitry. It's a shame the industry completely phased out the proven CRT technology in favor of flat panel plasma/lcd.

Why would anyone want a huge CRT anymore? I certainly don't miss my fat CRTs at all.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

My Samsung Slimfit HDTV CRT is no more "fat" than a DLP. :p

To answer your question, because there is still plenty of SD content either owned or being transmitted/broadcast. One tv handles both SD and HD well.

Well the CRT HDTVs can handle SD content better just like CRT computer monitors can handle non-native resolutions better than LCDs. It's just the nature of the technology. CRT is dying because it's heavy and bulky.

I had a real nice Phillips 27" that recently shot craps (it got a lot of use, about six hours per evening every day for three years). It looks like the dwindling supply of thrift store / garage sale tube TVs will have to do. Thanks to all who replied in this thread.

"When the word is runnin down, you make the best of what's still around."--Sting

I have a 46" Samsung and a 50" Optoma DLP both connected to my 722, the Samsung via Coax and the Optoma via HDMI. Before the Samsung I had a 32" LCD connected via HDMI and the Optoma via Coax. The Optoma looked terrible via coax to the point I ended up using a Sony VCR to act as the tuner then via composite to the Optoma. The picture was signifcantly better, which leads me to belive the internal tuner on the Optoma is marginal. On the other hand, the SD picture via Coax on my Samsung DLP is very good, telling me it's tuner is good.

Long story short it may be worth trying a differnt tuner than what is in the TV as I suspect the analog tuners on "New" TVs are the lowest priority for quality. A good test would be connecting the new TV to the TV2 Composite (Yellow, Red and White) output of the 722 and see how it looks.

An HD TV does magnify the shortcomings of an SD picture, but it should look better than an older TV. I paid $125 for my Samsung DLP through Craigslist, and I'll say my SD picture over Coax is at least DVD quality.

Hope my rant helps.

Miner

Economies of scale dictate everything.

By the same token, what you propose is kind of like wishing that you could still buy a new 1969 Suburban.

Thanks for the detailed reply. When the Dish technician setup our "HD free for life" system back in 2010, he showed me how much better the coaxial connection from the down-converted 722k SD signal looked compared to the s-video connection from the old 510 receiver. It seemed counterintuitive to me at the time, but the greatly improved picture was worth a thousand words. We can get tube TVs in good working order for $10 a pop from a large thrift store in our area. Next time I'm down there I think I'll buy half a dozen of them before tube TVs vanish into the antiquity of obsolete technology.

Enjoy,
Joe

Economies of scale dictate everything.

By the same token, what you propose is kind of like wishing that you could still buy a new 1969 Suburban.
Agreed on the economies of scale.

However, the transition to digital was rushed/mandated. I'm just glad I got a transitional technology that allows me to enjoy both digital HD and analog SD content, with no complaints about either. My set will probably last longer than most plasmas/LCDs too. :p

I agree. All 3 of mine are hd crt displays. It certainly gives the best of both SD and HD viewing.

My 61" LCoS RPTV displays watchable, not great, SD. I leave it at 4:3. Size has a quality all it's own. I'd hate to see how big an equivalent picture sized direct view CRT would be. Certainly, it would weigh so much that the floor would have to be reinforced. I think the largest direct view CRT TV ever sold to the public was 38".

Around here, thrift and pawn shops are overflowing with CRT TVs. I think the Salvation Army will not take them anymore.

Heck, I've got 13", 27" and 36" CRT SDTVs. The big one is still in limited use and is perfect. I'd hate to see it go to the landfill. But I'd love to see it go!

Want 'em? Free for the taking. But you carry. I won't be lifting a 27" or 36" TV anymore!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)