Vip722k - L662 update

lparsons21

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 17, 2009
Herrin, IL 62948
OK, I got this a couple nights ago on my 722k. What is it supposed to fix/add to the mix?

Seems to me my 722k is working just like it did all along... :)

Many updates have no UI changes that we can "see". The changes could all be back-end, not front-end. As for what changed, Dish seems to no longer provide this info.

What changed for me is the box no longer worked as it did before the update. After over a month of back and forth, numerous techs, and 2 box replacements (wiping out all the timers and recordings) I narrowed it down to my OTA module. Now when recording off the OTA, the box locks up and eventually reboots on its own. It's really sucked. Wish I didn't have a little over a year left on my contract, I'd be gone.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Mine has been nearly flawless and I use the OTA module all the time.

I've got mine plugged into a UPS that also massages the power a bit maybe that makes a difference.

What changed for me is the box no longer worked as it did before the update. After over a month of back and forth, numerous techs, and 2 box replacements (wiping out all the timers and recordings) I narrowed it down to my OTA module. Now when recording off the OTA, the box locks up and eventually reboots on its own. It's really sucked. Wish I didn't have a little over a year left on my contract, I'd be gone.
With all your replacements, the question begs asking...Do you have it in a WELL ventilated area, non stacked with other electronics??? Sounds like overheating to me.

With all your replacements, the question begs asking...Do you have it in a WELL ventilated area, non stacked with other electronics??? Sounds like overheating to me.

As well ventilated as it gets.

Open shelf media rack, no back, no sides, nothing on top of it and not stacked on top of anything else.

The first replacement they sent me actually ran hot despite all that, it overheated almost instantly. Ambient temp in the room was about 70, and there was a ceiling fan running, yet it overheated.

Here's the stand it's on

Should have plenty of room to breath, any more would seem impractical. These lockups only started when those ad's started appearing in the guide. So it seems like it's something in the new software that hosed my setup. Had worked pretty flawlessly for the 9 months prior.

These lockups only started when those ad's started appearing in the guide. So it seems like it's something in the new software that hosed my setup. Had worked pretty flawlessly for the 9 months prior.

Have you disabled the guide ads?
Menu, 6-1-6...disable banner in guide.

Have you disabled the guide ads?
Menu, 6-1-6...disable banner in guide.

Oh yeah lol That was so damn annoying. If I want to order a movie I'll do it on my own, not because they put an ad in the menu.

I'm trying something new at the moment and so far it's working ok.

I've disabled all the OTA channels I don't use. I really only need the OTA for when the major networks are all airing things I want to see at once, and I like it for live football off the local feed.

So far no lockups since I made the switch. There were also no lockups when I completely disabled OTA.

Since it sounds like you've really pinned it down to a bad OTA module, why not push on Dish to replace it?

My 722k works fine with OTA, with the exception of the losing signal bug. Never a lockup.

Since it sounds like you've really pinned it down to a bad OTA module, why not push on Dish to replace it?

My 722k works fine with OTA, with the exception of the losing signal bug. Never a lockup.

I did, and they have. Problem persists. I haven't had any issue since removing most of the OTA channels. I only needed CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC, and CW on the OTA so I've removed all the other stuff it found and I haven't had a reboot since. Can a bad OTA channel, even if it's never tuned or used cause these lockups? Also, when it would lock up, video would freeze and audio would continue. Then after about 2 or 3 minutes the entire box would power off and restart as if you just plugged it in.

The only issue I've had with my OTA module and the 722k is the 'lost signal' bug that causes the receiver to say it lost signal even though I'm not looking or recording the OTA signal that it really is bitching about.

No lock ups from that.

That said, I have seen when I lose all sat signals due to clouds during a storm times when it will sit trying to find a signal and then reboot after an extended length of time. I'm losing signal when I shouldn't at times, for a very short period, but I'm pretty convinced that is caused by a pesky tree doing more growing than I want it to.

I'm losing signal when I shouldn't at times, for a very short period, but I'm pretty convinced that is caused by a pesky tree doing more growing than I want it to.
Sounds like time to call a tree trimmer and top off that dude.;)

Well, it is actually 2 trees that need a bit of trimming. The one in my yard is easy to get someone in to do. Unfortunately the one that is most likely causing the issue is in another yard and so far the owner hasn't been too willing to let me get his tree trimmed. :(

The possible good thing is that if the Paducah DMA HD lights up on 77 I'll try to get my arc switched. No problem there except they'd have to move the dish to get that arc.

Yes, AFAIK a bad OTA signal, even with not being "on" an output can cause trouble.
The tuner is on, even when both outputs show satellite signals, and need a good signal or none.
Try swap and/or recall and you may find the OTA channel displayed.
-Ken

The only two new things I've noticed with this update are volume leveling in audio options, and a grayed out option for wireless setup under broadband options. I think Dish is getting ready for the wireless multiroom device they have listed on their site.

The only two new things I've noticed with this update are volume leveling in audio options, and a grayed out option for wireless setup under broadband options. I think Dish is getting ready for the wireless multiroom device they have listed on their site.

Kinda belate: Multiroom is unlikely. My best educated guess is they are just adding the option to use WiFi instead of ethernet on these boxes for VoD and remote programming. More profitable for them cashing in on pricey Wifi usb adapters that their boxes are locked to than people going out and buying WiFi bridges elsewhere. ;)

Again, just my edicated guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)