VIP722k & power inserter issue

Peytbass

Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
We had Dish come out to our home and upgrade our 622 to a VIP722K (we also have a 322G) a few weeks ago due to the 622 overheating (we have gone through 5 622’s in the past 4 years). After the install we started having Signal Loss (error 015) issues and narrowed the issue down to the power inserter. When you simply unplugged the power inserter and plugged it back it, the 722 came back to life after about 2 seconds, with no need for the 722 to reacquire the signal, etc.

We spoke to our tech. about this and he came back out to the house and replaced the power inserter but we still had the same issue a few days later. The tech. came back out and installed a new DP44 (we subscribe to German programming) including a new power inserter, installed a new LNB and installed a SlingLink Ethernet/power adapter. We are now experiencing the same issue.

We just spoke to out tech. again and he is baffled (so is his boss) as to why we are having an issue (the 722 provides programming to our HDTV as well as another TV in another room, the 322 is used for a TV in our master bedroom). The tech. and his boss think the next step to this would be to have two dishes installed (one for the North America programming and the other for the German programming) as this set-up will not require a power inserter. I’m not too keen on having another dish installed on the roof just to see if this solves the problem. The issue only happens sporadically and at different times of the day.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'd be looking for a "hair wire" short in a connector or a broken wire if the system breaks down after it warms up.

It sounds distinctly like something is drawing too much power but not a complete short circuit. I would be setting up some sort of load test on the cabling or just replacing it.

722 Problems

Any receiver with a DVR has a hard drive inside it. Voltage fed to these type receivers can cause sporadic problems if there is anything wrong with that. I would use a volt meter to determine if the voltage from hot to neutral is 120 +/-2.5 volts, Hot to ground is 120 +/-2.5 volts, and ground to neutral is less than 1 volt. If this criteria is not met it will cause the hard drive to speed up or slow down and can cause sporadic problems within the receiver. If the ground is open or the polarity is swapped it will also cause problems. You would need to have an electrician look at it. Just a thought. It could be a bad connector but if you have had multiple techs in your home I would like to think they most likely would have found that.

I'll give that a try. I looked at all the wiring and found it to be intact. A DN field rep. is scheduled to come to the house this afternoon. I'll see what he figures out.

Thanks for the info.

Any receiver with a DVR has a hard drive inside it. Voltage fed to these type receivers can cause sporadic problems if there is anything wrong with that. I would use a volt meter to determine if the voltage from hot to neutral is 120 +/-2.5 volts, Hot to ground is 120 +/-2.5 volts, and ground to neutral is less than 1 volt. If this criteria is not met it will cause the hard drive to speed up or slow down and can cause sporadic problems within the receiver. If the ground is open or the polarity is swapped it will also cause problems. You would need to have an electrician look at it. Just a thought. It could be a bad connector but if you have had multiple techs in your home I would like to think they most likely would have found that.

Living only 9 blocks from a book bindery, in the City of Chicago, our power leaps as high as 140 volts and drops as low as 102 volts - depending on time of day and time of year. We now run Tripp-Lite SMART 1000 LCD backup battery / surge protectors / voltage regulators on ALL of our electronic equipment - including our Dish Network receivers, our televisions, and our surround sound systems. The unique thing about this particular Tripp-Lite is that it will actually clamp the power DOWN to a safe voltage if it goes up too high. It will also boost the voltage level if it goes too low, and give us between 10 and 30 minutes to properly power down equipment in the event of a total power failure.

Since adding these Tripp-Lite SMART 1000s to our home entertainment systems, we have had ZERO problems with any equipment. They also carry a $250,000 connected equipment insurance provision and are manufactured by an AMERICAN company - Tripp-Lite - based in Chicago. Incredible tech support!

What is the cost on one of the Tripp-Lite SMART 1000's. We run into a fair amount of homes that could use something like this and it would be nice to let them know where to look and the approximate cost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)