VOD Activation Information for HR21 CE Users

Cincyray

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2005
Reading Pa
Hey guys an gals im new to this ce downloading. I downloaded the ce software this weekend in the alloted time frame. My question is this i have the HR-21 200 How do i know if the ondemand is working. I relealize it may not be active on all units. Before the download whenever i would select ondemand a bluescreen would come up pointing me to Directv website. Now when i select it i get the doink sound and nothing happens. I know the download took because the menus are different as well as the recording series function. Is there any hr21 200 that has ondemand working yet. Thanks for any and all replies.

Hey guys an gals im new to this ce downloading. I downloaded the ce software this weekend in the alloted time frame. My question is this i have the HR-21 200 How do i know if the ondemand is working. I relealize it may not be active on all units. Before the download whenever i would select ondemand a bluescreen would come up pointing me to Directv website. Now when i select it i get the doink sound and nothing happens. I know the download took because the menus are different as well as the recording series function. Is there any hr21 200 that has ondemand working yet. Thanks for any and all replies.

Is your rec. connected to the internet ?
I don't have a HR21, so I don't keep up on that series as much as the HR20's, has the DOD been activated for the HR21's yet ?

Jimbo

DoD has been enabled in the past few CE's for the HR21's, both versions of the box have it. So if you have the 01F8 version in the box you've got the code.

I've seen someone say if you call the DirecTV 800 number and at the voice prompt asking what you want say "Activate DirecTV on Demand" they here a few beeps then a voice saying it's been activated. If that works it still might take a few hours for your guide to start to be populated with the DoD info.

I D/Led the last CE this past Friday evening, but had no success with the DoD function until I read the post about calling the 800 number to physically activate the service. I called DTV on Monday afternoon, and after doing the tap dance through the phone menus, I got the beepity-boop sounds suggesting that they were in fact doing something.
Tuesday morning the DoD worked on my HR21-700. I D/Led "The Caine Mutiny" from TCM and watched it later that evening.
I noticed that you can't watch while the download is in progress, and whatever modem is used, it takes a LONG time to snag a movie. I'm on a 3Mbps DSL line from Verizon. I also noted that when I unsuccessfully tried to view the download in progress, I couldn't immediately get back to live TV. I got the Guide to display, but after making a channel selection, I was greeted with a blank gray screen. :( That is probably a temporary glitch, because I then selected a recorded program to watch instead, and after a half hour, live TV viewing was back. I didn't want to jeopardize the DoD download with a reboot at that time.

That's the first I have heard of asking the automated system to activate on-demand. Can anyone else confirm that worked. There were many people waiting for it to be activated on their account - this could help them :)

Dod

Hi All! Just phoned Directv and activated DOD on my HR21-700. At the prompt when it asks you what your calling about, just say "Directv on Demand". After that there was about a minute of Beepidity boops. Then the auto attendant came on and said that my Directv on Demand has been activated! I am at work now in Eastern PA. I will check at home on my lunch hour and let you all know if its working.

Thanks to all on this site who contribute!

I also did the phone activation though I don't have the CE software. After you make the call it shows up online on your billing statement. Is there a download window this weekend? I would like to get one of my HR21's to get the CE.

Hi All! Just phoned Directv and activated DOD on my HR21-700. At the prompt when it asks you what your calling about, just say "Directv on Demand". After that there was about a minute of Beepidity boops. Then the auto attendant came on and said that my Directv on Demand has been activated! I am at work now in Eastern PA. I will check at home on my lunch hour and let you all know if its working.

Thanks to all on this site who contribute!
Well, I went home and nothing has changed. There is no DOD. And the remote scheduling did not work. I did get the e-mail confirmations from DTV that I scheduled something but there was nothing in my playlist or to do list. Any ideas out there?

I called and asked the automated system to activate DOD and a couple of hours later a pop up appeared on my tv. It said guide download complete. I had not downloaded anything. I tried the DOD feature and it worked. Nothing was there to dowload yet. An hour later a couple dozen programs were there. Now, another hour later, tons of stuff is there and when I switch to all channels, the 1000's have a bunch of channels with DOD. I have had my HR21 hooked up to ethernet for about a week continuously and have had the last two CE's. I was being patient as everyone kept saying, but nothing happened until I called.

In case you didn't notice it, the DoD channel numbers are basically the regular channel + 1000 (Starz ch 520 is 1520 for the DoD Starz channel).

In case you didn't notice it, the DoD channel numbers are basically the regular channel + 1000 (Starz ch 520 is 1520 for the DoD Starz channel).

I just learned that on the welcome to DOD video I downloaded. It also said only available on the HR-20, but I have a HR-21. Must be an old video.:)

Ok all the phone activation does work as stated in the above post. I have begun downloading a few things. Takes me about 30 to 45 minutes to complete download i have a pretty fast cable connection. Couple of bummers are there are a lot of pay ones and no Hd at this point. But beggers cant be choosers. Thanks for all the post all they were very helpful.

Thanks for verifying it works, I'm going to sticky this and change the title - many people have been waiting for this!

What is the CE? How to I find out when the next is and what my current status is prior to the download? How do you find out when and if you need to download.

Thanks,

RE: Calling and saying "Activate DirecTV on Demand" - It seemed to take for my account but got foiled by the extra password that is on my account. That triggered a message after the tones saying that the account had a password and it forwarded me to a CSR. Even though they don't know much about DoD she made a great attempt to add the service to my account but couldn't. (I haven't downloaded the CE software release yet so I wasn't calling a CSR to request assistance, just to activate DoD in advance of the download as some others have done.) What was interesting is the suggested course was to remove the password, use the automated voice response system to activate DoD and then call back to add the password back.

Based on the advice from a previous post, I restarted my HR21-700 and entered 02468 as it was starting up. It downloaded software, but it doesn't look any different than before. The version is 0193. I don't see anything about CE. I also called and activated the VOD, but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Based on the advice from a previous post, I restarted my HR21-700 and entered 02468 as it was starting up. It downloaded software, but it doesn't look any different than before. The version is 0193. I don't see anything about CE. I also called and activated the VOD, but it doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Based on the information in the Sticky's about the CE program the software download window is normally offered on Friday and Saturday nights. (I think it was from 23:00 to 2 or 3:00). If you perform the download process with 02468 at any other time it will return your unit to the current national software release. That would be 0193 for your unit.

Check the forums on Friday. The download windows are posted once they are known. The last windows were on 2/1 and 2/2. http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-cutting-edge-ce-discussion-forum/123406-ce-s-2-1-2-2-a.html

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)