VOD Activation Information for HR21 CE Users

It is important to remember the VOD is still a BETA product - it may not work.

I was suprised and happy to learn that the account activation issues are now resolved as users can call to activate it on their account through the automated system.

That doens't fix it all. you need to have an internet connection on your hr21, it needs to connect, and you need the latest CE software.

If you still don't have it working then, report it here so DirecTV knows. That's part of the development process. There is NO GUARANTEE that this will work yet.

DON'T SPOUT OFF that it isn't working and you're paying for it. IT IS A BETA PRODUCT - you're NOT paying for it.

I woke up this morning to my receiver saying Acquiring Guide Data. Is this the what happens when it downloads the data for VOD? Also received the email saying I changed my programming. Hope this is it.

Also does it download the guide data from the Internet or the Satellite? Because I noticed that the lights on the back were my internet is hooked up to aren't blinking like it is downloading something.

Data comes from satellite, the blinking indicates it is communicating with the server.

Give it a while. It may be 24 hours before it works completely, but it should not stay on the acquiring guide data that whole time, that only took a few minutes for me.

Hi,
I have a HR-20 700 connected to the Internet and DOD works fine. I also have a HR-21 700 that is at the latest CE level but is not connected yet to the Internet. On this box I do not see a menu entry for DOD. My question is do I need to have the HR-21 700 networked before DOD shows up in the System Setup menu?

Thanks,

Mark

I just got hooked up to D* a couple of days ago (changed from E*). I have a HR21-200, software shows 0X195, so I know I will need to get the newest CE when it's available.
My question is, does it cost extra to use/activate VOD if I try it?

Thanks

My question is, does it cost extra to use/activate VOD if I try it?

Thanks

The feature itself is free and most of the content is free. There are some PPV movies available for the standard PPV charge but that's it.

Data comes from satellite, the blinking indicates it is communicating with the server.

Give it a while. It may be 24 hours before it works completely, but it should not stay on the acquiring guide data that whole time, that only took a few minutes for me.
Ok did RBR because box totally froze. After I did that I checked channel 1000 and have at least 25 VOD Channels showing up. Tried going to menu and pressing OnDemand, but I still get bonk. First thought was maybe it has to finish downloading all channels first. Will keep you posted.

Ok did RBR because box totally froze.

Another FYI, you should always try to avoid pressing the red button to reset the box. If you do need to reset you should try the reset function in the menus, which allows for a nice quiet shutdown of the box. Pressing the red button is like pressing reboot on a PC while it's doing something, not a good thing to do.

Also, I've seen it posted that if you're running CE software DirecTV would like you to avoid resetting the box unless it's hung up/non responsive. The reason that's been given is that when the HR20/21 is network connected it reports back to D* stats on resets and unnecessary resets skews their numbers on software performance.

Can anyone help another person out? How do you verify the version on your receiver?

Thanks,
if you mean model number, then just open the door on the fron of your receiver where the card goes. If you mean which software version. go to main menu select info and test. software version should be under that.

WOOOOOOOOO. Finally have OnDemand working. The hype wasn't worth it. I realize it is still in Beta, but lack of channels and shows that are worth watching really sux. I have HBO and there is no HBO ondemand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts