Vonage and DISH

x203409

Original poster
Jan 24, 2007
I have 3 dual DISH Receivers all connected to Vonage. When I first installed it in 2004 I had some difficulty getting the dial-in to work via Vonage. But once I adjusted the Vonage bandwidth everything worked just fine. The DISH Receivers dialed 800 267-9084 to "call home."

Just within the past 60 days DISH changed the dial-in number in the Receivers to 866 366-8634 and now it will no longer successfully connect. It tries to to connect... Vonage is not blocking the call or anything like that. It's just the modems won't sync up.

I suspect it's a bandwidth problem. I'm guessing the old number 800 267-9084 was connecting at 1200 or 2400 baud. The new number probably wants to connect faster and the Vonage service can't handle it.

So once again DISH makes a change, puts the screws to the customer, and the extra monthly charges are back on the bill. :what

I only have one Receiver that's Internet (Ethernet) capable... the others are a 222 & a 322.

I tried calling DISH but the CSR's have NO CLUE what I'm talking about. Yes, I've tried more than once.

Any ideas? :eureka

You try going to vonage forums? I think they exist, might want to chime in there and do some digging. *99 is what I was taught at "Dish University" for vonage, and it looks like your already on top of it.

I've got a 622 connected to my Vonage service and haven't had any problems with it...no annoying "You must keep your receiver connected" messages.

Maybe this will help you guys.

Not sure if this will help but I have Majic Jack and I had the same problem as you Vonage guys when Dish Network change the number to 866-366-8634. There is a filter that you can get for Digital and Analog problems. I got a free one from Comcast when I had thier phone service. When I switched to Comcast phone servcie neither my fax or home alarm worked. The technition put this simple filter inline between my modem and phone line. After that everything work fine. Then when I switched to Majic Jack I did not seem to need this filter anymore but I was smart enough to save it. Anyway my Dish Network box would not connect to the 866-366-8634 number so I tried the filter and now it works. I know that I got my filter from Comcast but maybe Radio Shack sells the filter as well. I hope this helps any of you that are having problems.

I have Vonage over a Comcast internet connection and did not use the 'phone' line. We went with the wireless bridge method and it works great.

I have Vonage over a Comcast internet connection and did not use the 'phone' line. We went with the wireless bridge method and it works great.

I just went to VoicePulse and used the wireless bridge as well. I never tried the dial up with Dish, just decided to go internet/LAN when I lost CallVantage.

Wireless works good. You can get an old linksys on ebay with the ww-drt firmware if you can configure it yourself. I already had a spare linksys and flashed it myself.

i just installed vonage and connected my 722 via phone line to it. it shows local connection when i check.

the modem is deisnged for a landbased phoneline, not a broadband phoneline. ever consider blaming vonage for having a service that doesnt allow all analog modems to work?

i just installed vonage and connected my 722 via phone line to it. it shows local connection when i check.

I have Vonage and I get the same thing. I also have an ethernet connection to my 722. Since February, I have gotten charged for not having it connected to a phone or internet, even though there is nothing to send and the diagnostic test shows it to be connected to both.

I have a 522 connected to the same line. The connection goes directly from one receiver to the other. Dish sent a technician and the best he could do was to use a new 'Y' connector for the phone line.

It is still causing a problem. I can understand having a problem with Vonage. The service was never designed for modems (even though it has worked for my 522 in the several years). I cannot understand the internet connection problem.

Dish has had a difficult time rolling out software that doesn't break something as long as I have had it. I wonder how that plays into this problem?

I have 3 dual DISH Receivers all connected to Vonage. When I first installed it in 2004 I had some difficulty getting the dial-in to work via Vonage. But once I adjusted the Vonage bandwidth everything worked just fine. The DISH Receivers dialed 800 267-9084 to "call home."

Just within the past 60 days DISH changed the dial-in number in the Receivers to 866 366-8634 and now it will no longer successfully connect. It tries to to connect... Vonage is not blocking the call or anything like that. It's just the modems won't sync up.

I suspect it's a bandwidth problem. I'm guessing the old number 800 267-9084 was connecting at 1200 or 2400 baud. The new number probably wants to connect faster and the Vonage service can't handle it.

So once again DISH makes a change, puts the screws to the customer, and the extra monthly charges are back on the bill. :what

I only have one Receiver that's Internet (Ethernet) capable... the others are a 222 & a 322.

I tried calling DISH but the CSR's have NO CLUE what I'm talking about. Yes, I've tried more than once.

Any ideas? :eureka

Look, I think the "phone-line fee" is a bunch of crap, but that being said, it isn't Dish's responsiblity to make sure the customer's phone service works correctly. As long as the modem in that receiver is functioning properly, any other problem is between you and your phone service provider.

Just like it isn't ATT's responsiblity for the Dish receiver to dial-out correctly as long as their phone line is functioning properly.

Did you install anything recently that uses inhouse wiring, such as an alarm system or an electonic bug repeller? Those interfere with VOIP.

Call dish and dispute the $5 say its conected and tell them your sending status. Next day call in tomake sure they recived the dile home and offer to resend signal . On third day call and see if she phoned home iff not dish can wave the fee for your recivers. I've had to do it many times for sertin land line telco's.

45min of tottal time on the phone to save you $180 over the year is worth it in my mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)