Vonage, Caller ID, and the Hopper

aviation76

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 23, 2007
DFW, TX
Tried searching the forum but was not able to find an answer. I am thinking of dropping my land line and signing up with Vonage. My Hopper w/Sling is connected to the home network. Will caller ID still display if I disconnect the phone line from the unit. If not, is there a way to allow caller ID to display on my TV?

Thanks.

It's been a while since I had vonage, but caller ID worked with VIP and Hopper. You have to have the receiver connected to the vonage line though.

I suppose it could be dependent on the model of the adapter, but I use another VOIP device now and both it and the vonage adapter I had work.

I believe it will work but, you'll have to run a phone line from the vonage box (may require a splitter depending on how many phone outs are on the box) directly to the receiver. The wiring within the walls of your home aren't going to work anymore.

The wiring within the walls of your home aren't going to work anymore.
Actually, you should be able to use all your in wall wiring. Disconnect the internal wiring from the phone co at the interface box. Plug the vonage adapter into a free wall jack. Leave all your phones (and Dish receiver) plugged into the wall as they are now.

Actually, you should be able to use all your in wall wiring. Disconnect the internal wiring from the phone co at the interface box. Plug the vonage adapter into a free wall jack. Leave all your phones (and Dish receiver) plugged into the wall as they are now.

Interesting...good idea.

Just an update. I setup Vonage at home today. I disconnected the phone line at the phone company's interface box outside of the house. I plugged the Vonage box directly into a phone jack. Caller ID appears on the Hopper. Thanks JM42!

Being a Vonage user, this thread sparked my interest. I have two Hoppers and 2 Joeys and did some experimenting and here's what I found.

Hopper no.1 and Joey: Phone line connected to Family Room Hopper. Adjacent room Joey linked to this Hopper. Caller ID is also displayed on Joey.
Hopper no. 2 and Joey: Master Bedroom Hopper and adjacent Bedroom Joey. Caller ID also displayed on Joey.

Disconnected phone line on Bedroom Hopper. Caller ID disappeared. I did this experiment to see if two phone lines were needed or if this could be done thru MOCA.

Bottom line. You need a phone line to each Hopper for Caller ID to work.

Keep in mind that if you use the existing wiring you must first disconnect the phone company's interface outside the house because these wires are powered and you can fry your system if you don't disconnect it.

yes that was addressed already but never hurts to reinforce it!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keep in mind that if you use the existing wiring you must first disconnect the phone company's interface outside the house because these wires are powered and you can fry your system if you don't disconnect it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)