Voom Additional Receiver is $199.99 NOT $499.99

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
I just verified with VOOM that the second (additional) receiver is only $199.99. $300 will be credited to my CC. So if you have been charged the $499.99, call VOOM and tell them that you saw the price of $199.99 at Sears way before you order VOOM but just realized looking through your bill that you were charged incorrectly.

Thanks to our Guests (Dan Berndt, VOOM 2nd reciever price) for pointing this out. It saved me $300.00... :D

To be exact Voom owes me $300 + $Tax (25.87) = $325.87. I will check my CC statement and make sure that VOOM does the right thing!

Scott G posted the following at AVSforum:

Originally posted by Scott G
I just called VOOM Customer service and also verified the $ 199 second receiver price. They told me I would be receiving a rebate letter for the $ 300 in the mail in the next week or so. So everyone who bought a second receiver at $ 199 look out for the rebate.

Scott

Here is where I disagree with this rebate letter.

I wished we can get a consistent story from CSR to CSR. I was told that the credit will appear in my CC. I welcome the rebate letter but wouldn't it be easier to just credit this back to the CC. Also, it is not only $300. There is $25 tax money that should also be returned (in my case NY Tax). I do not want to wait 3 months for rebate $$$ when it can easily be returned by crediting my CC.

I wonder what prompted this change in policy? It would be interesting to know if the introduction of the 811HD receiver by Echostar was one of the reasons. The fact that E* is giving away HD receivers to new subscribers and selling them to existing subscribers for $199 seems very similar.
Its just great news for us though.

Well,

Someone else posted that if this (refund) is treated as a rebate then the tax $ collected will not be refundable. It is good the VOOM is refunding the $300 but in all fairness if they want to do it right, VOOM should refund the entire amount $300 + Tax.

This is good for people with more than one tv, although I dont see very many people having more than one HDTV at the current time as expensive as they are, they would still need the additional receiver for the SDTV's.

12/22 - no credit, no rebate letter - nothing. So I decided to call them again to find out what's going on. If you are in the same situation, you should call them as well. The CSR told me that he will put the paper through the billing department so that I can get this $300 credit. No mention of any rebate papers... Let's hope I hear something about it.

Sean,

I thought you got the dual charge, one full amount and one reduced for the lower 2nd receiver, and had to get the initial one credited. I may be thinking out of school.

Tim

rudolpht said:
Sean,

I thought you got the dual charge, one full amount and one reduced for the lower 2nd receiver, and had to get the initial one credited. I may be thinking out of school.

Tim

That's what I wanted but they did not do it that way. After charging my cc twice (2nd charge being the lower amount), V* credit my cc for the 2nd charge. The first charge was not credited for the second receiver being overcharged.

I am also getting a run around from Customer service regarding the refund. They tell you they will put in the paper work, but they have not decided how to give the refunds how to adminster it, etc. It sounds like one big excuse. All they have to do is put in for a credit on our credit cards. It looks like they are trying to keep the money from us as long as possible.

Let's keep at it until we get it. I will call back again next week if I do not see the credit in my cc.

Just got a call from VOOM. Accordingly, they are creating a list of everyone who was charged $499.00 for the 2nd receiver. Once the list is complete, they will start refunding everyone through the credit card it was used. No rebate-a refund through your cc. This is good. Let's hope it does not take long.

Sean- I noticed the price of $199 some time ago on their web site.

It caused me to assume that this will be the final resting price for the first receiver when VOOM gets into full swing later next year. In other words, they will probably run promotions to get hold outs like me to come on board.

Actually, I was going to get the two now and send the $199 one to 169Time to do some R&D work on for a 1394 wire but I understand he doesn't need one. As they say- work in progress. So, I decided to just sit it out for awhile and let the cost of the STB come down before becoming a VOOM newbie.
Besides I need to see what the big boys will do after CES regarding new HD offers. Lots of rumors flying now.

Don Landis said:
...Actually, I was going to get the two now and send the $199 one to 169Time to do some R&D work on for a 1394 wire but I understand he doesn't need one. As they say- work in progress....

Don,

Thanks for posting regarding the 169time. This is good to know as a second alternative just in case the "free 1394 wire upgrade" from VOOM does not comes through.

Ok, just got home and got a call from VOOM from Jason Davi (sp??). He was calling to confirme that my credit card will be credited $300 + Tax for the incorrect charge. Of course, I went to check my credit card online and did not see the credit yet. I guess I will see it Monday or Tuesday. Great that VOOM decided to do the right thing. So if you are in the same boat, you might get a call from them soon.

Just checked my credit card today. Guess what? I got $326 back from VOOM for the extra money spent on the 2nd receiver. :) Great!!!