VOOM HD content:Should I do something or not.

PILMAN

The Cable Killer
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 2, 2005
Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Just want your suggestion. With the new voom lineup looks like everyones saying at first all the content will be on 61.5 but will be mirrored on 148 later on. I've also heard rumours of them adding it in the future to 110. I'm using a Superdish and I'm not even positive I can get LOS for 61.5. Dish wants 100 bucks for them to setup a second dish and a new switch on my property. Should I just wait and see what happens or should I agree to a second dish like now? Seems kinda stupid that I need a 2nd dish seeing as I thought a huge dish like the superdish would handle all my programming by means of a single dish.

Even though it is pretty clear that the channels will be on 61.5, I will wait until the dust settles and see that current and new customers can see the channels. I am waiting to see when they show up. I am a current dish sub with only HD pack. I would like to see if I can sub to them without core programming. So best bet is to wait until everything is on the satellite on the clear.

The reason I ask is a lot of people are saying 110 already is full. I would hate for the channels to be compressed even more but it just seems kind of inefficient having 2 dishes. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with 1 dish in my yard but 2 kinda looks rediculous especially where I live you know? Then again they are in my backyard so not like anyone would notice. I've heard a lot of future programming will be on 61.5 plus when Rainbow 1 goes live (or is that whats going to be broadcasting the 10 voom channels?) at least I'd be able to get picture from that. I heard their also moving that to the 110 area though.

You can sub to just the voom channels with the dish HD pack and service fee.

9.99 + 5 + 5 = 19.99

of course you have to own your own receiver, so lucky Sean.

I need to own mine so I can dump these SD channels I never watch...

So would you guys consider it efficient buying a 2nd dish? I mean would buying one for 61.5 be efficient or not really? Would it be futureproof? Simon keeps telling me because I live in florida it'd be a birdbath.

I thought you had 61.5?

Well if you wanna watch voom hd and dish hd then you'll need 2 dishes.

Well what I was trying to say is I have a superdish, 105, 110, 119. When we signed up a year and a half ago we did it to benefit the entire family. I never really knew we needed a seperate box for hdtv or whatever. I had a plasma in the other room but we were just concerned about how many channels we got and locals. The installers set up what would best suit what we needed and they set up the superdish. I wanted to get HDTV and I was lucky when I got the 811 that they had some HD content on 110. I guess they won't really be adding anything to 110 for a while because it's packed. I was asking if it would be futureproof HD wise to get a 61.5. Obviously it wouldn't benefit anyone else in the family since I'm the only one who uses the plasma tv in the house but to me I'm just hoping I won't need a 3rd dish in the future to get more HD content. Right now I only have 1 dish a superdish.

No you will never need 3 dishes, the most will be 2.

Having a seperate dish for 61.5 will be fine for HD. Supossedly they may move to 129, but then you'd just take your 61.5 dish and move it to 129

PILMAN said:
Just want your suggestion. With the new voom lineup looks like everyones saying at first all the content will be on 61.5 but will be mirrored on 148 later on. I've also heard rumours of them adding it in the future to 110. I'm using a Superdish and I'm not even positive I can get LOS for 61.5. Dish wants 100 bucks for them to setup a second dish and a new switch on my property. Should I just wait and see what happens or should I agree to a second dish like now? Seems kinda stupid that I need a 2nd dish seeing as I thought a huge dish like the superdish would handle all my programming by means of a single dish.

Do you want the new channels now? If so, get the 61.5 dish and enjoy. If you don't want them now, then wait.

PILMAN said:
So would you guys consider it efficient buying a 2nd dish? I mean would buying one for 61.5 be efficient or not really? Would it be futureproof? Simon keeps telling me because I live in florida it'd be a birdbath.

I'm south of you and my Dish300 works extremely well on 61.5. I don't quite understand the birdbath comment. If you're talking elevation...mine is about 50 degrees.

Futureproof? If you have an additional dish and the necessary switching installed...nothing says you have to keep it aimed at 61.5 forever. ;)

Well they will halfto move them over to where the rest of the HD channels are due to thats where most of their HD subscribers are now. In the future as folks get their MPEG4 receivers then they will be even more able to move things around because MPEG4 use's less bandwidth which will free up allot of space.

the birdbath comment Simon was referring to was because of the elevation it "sees" a lot more horizantal than other parts of the country, and for $100 for a new dish, new DP lnb and a DPP 44 switch that is pretty reasonable

PILMAN said:
PILMAN: (a/k/a nation4ceo) I told you - that's a joke. :D

It will NOT be aimed so high in Florida as to catch water.

Also, as per our AIM last night, I explained why one dish can't catch all those birds. An 18 degree spread is about as wide as it can get - let alone the aiming problems of trying for more.

Bottom line, the wise man waits for the moment, but getting a 61.5 dish is gonna be a good move for msot people. Me, I'm on 148, but if it starts looking like too much delay before they start feeding from there. I'm gonna try to get LOS to 61.5 - not easy for me because of terrain.

If I go that route, then I have to think about whether to drop my new DPP-Twin and try to keep my 148 dish.

DP Twin, DP Single for 61.5 into a DP34. I've got a pair of DP21's, so a new D300 with DP Dual aimed ast 61.5 will give me 2 4-bird feeds, and 2 3-bird feeds.

Or, bite the bullet and get a DPP44 instead of the DP34 and pair of DP21's.