Voom Price?

Overlord66

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 9, 2005
I am planning on adding the Voom package to my account but am waiting to put up a Dish 1000. The weather has been fairly crappy and I'm waiting for it to get a little better before I put a new dish up on the roof.

What I'm worried about is that if I wait until the remaining 10 Voom channels go live the price will go up. Should I just bite the bullet and sign up now or will the price stay the same when the other channels go live. :confused:

I'm wondering a similar thing too.

I've got an install scheduled for Friday to upgrade to a 942 (couldn't wait for whatever new hardware may or may not be coming!), and I'm wondering if I should add Voom at the same time. I just got off the phone with a CSR who told me I didn't need to add any hardware, just call and have Voom activated once my new receiver was hooked up.

Now this seems suspicious to me. I thought Voom was living on a different satellite. I only have a Dish 500. I'm in Portland, OR, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Do I, or don't I need to switch or add a dish???

And, is it worth it anyhow? Voom that is...

I would go now and get it while its only 5 buvks extra. Just in case the grandfather clause comes into effect I mean even if it takes you a month to get it up it would only be 5 bucks wasted in case any changes happen. But Im sure once the other channels come on board there could be a price increase in there

dogday said:
I'm wondering a similar thing too.
I've got an install scheduled for Friday to upgrade to a 942 (couldn't wait for whatever new hardware may or may not be coming!), and I'm wondering if I should add Voom at the same time. I just got off the phone with a CSR who told me I didn't need to add any hardware, just call and have Voom activated once my new receiver was hooked up.
Now this seems suspicious to me. I thought Voom was living on a different satellite. I only have a Dish 500. I'm in Portland, OR, so I'm not sure what the deal is. Do I, or don't I need to switch or add a dish???
And, is it worth it anyhow? Voom that is...

Well the CSR is right to a degree there isnt any new hardware you need to buy for your room :) just a new dish or dish 1000 to pick up the 129 sat. you wont get it with a dish 500.

jmcgee_jr said:
Well the CSR is right to a degree there isnt any new hardware you need to buy for your room :) just a new dish or dish 1000 to pick up the 129 sat. you wont get it with a dish 500.

:eek:

that's exactly what I asked - "Do I need a new dish?" The CSR seemed to not know what I was talking about, and kept asking if he should go ahead and add the Voom package.

If I need a new dish, I want to know now so I can have the installer add it and have everything done in one shot. I've installed my systems before, but it's getting crowded now with the dual tuners, extra/different dish, etc.

thanks

dogday said:
:eek:
that's exactly what I asked - "Do I need a new dish?" The CSR seemed to not know what I was talking about, and kept asking if he should go ahead and add the Voom package.
If I need a new dish, I want to know now so I can have the installer add it and have everything done in one shot. I've installed my systems before, but it's getting crowded now with the dual tuners, extra/different dish, etc.
thanks

In order for you to receive Voom you must have a dish pointed to either the 61.5 or 129 satellite and have one of the HD receivers (6000, 811, 921, or 942). The Dish 1000 is made to get the 110, 119, and the 129 satellite. I hope this answers your questions.

Dishpointer said:
In order for you to receive Voom you must have a dish pointed to either the 61.5 or 129 satellite and have one of the HD receivers (6000, 811, 921, or 942). The Dish 1000 is made to get the 110, 119, and the 129 satellite. I hope this answers your questions.

Thanks, it's what I suspected all along. Of course, when I called back to Dish, the (different) CSR told me that I needed a second dish - that there was not a single dish that would work.

I'm glad these forums exist so I can get proper information. It's too bad the company can't educate their own people the same way.:p

So next question - should I get the 1000 now and have it installed at the same time, or how hard would it be for me to add it myself later on??

thanks again

Dishpointer said:
and have one of the HD receivers (6000, 811, 921, or 942).

Let's hope it stays that way. I have a bad feeling that the new Voom channels will be MPEG4

dogday said:
So next question - should I get the 1000 now and have it installed at the same time, or how hard would it be for me to add it myself later on??
thanks again
If you live in the northeast US (east of Cleveland north of Wash DC) then you need a second dish at 61.5. Else you could replace you existing dish500 with a dish1000 or add a second dish to either 61.5 or 129. Find out which is cheaper and/or easier.

You'll also need a switch added if you go for the extra wing dish probably 1 or 2 DP21s.

Also compare with the $99 dish install price. They might use either technique for the same price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)