[VOOM] Re: Dish said............

S

Scott P. Bushey

Original poster
[VOOM] Dish said............

I just cancelled my DISH network account and am looking forward to HD w/ VOOM. During my conversation w/ DISH, I was told by 2 reps that VOOM's HD is not true HD and that theirs (DISH) is?

Comments?

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------

Ummm, Not HD? Sure E* 6 HD channels are "true HD". While some (most) of the programming on V* exclusive HD channels is Up Converted, so E* is full of s**t

Just my 2cents,

i am sure they did tell you that they wanted you to stay with them. they will just about tell you any thing to keep you as a customer.

Dish has great PQ from what I hear. IF flippin through your HD selections in the time it takes to sneeze doesnt bother you I would go with Dish. Problem is they have NO capacity for anything else and NO expansion plans anytime soon.

"... no expansion plans anytime soon".

Well that's true if soon is less than 6 months. New satellite going up this summer to bring more bandwidth with Mpeg 4 scheduled to follow by the "fall of 2005". Which in Charlie speak means next March. Unless their churn goes above 5% or their subscriber additions level off.... THEN they may do something sooner.

BobMurdoch said:
"... no expansion plans anytime soon".

Well that's true if soon is less than 6 months. New satellite going up this summer to bring more bandwidth with Mpeg 4 scheduled to follow by the "fall of 2005". Which in Charlie speak means next March. Unless their churn goes above 5% or their subscriber additions level off.... THEN they may do something sooner.
Have fun waiting and have fun buying a new reciever.

Re: [VOOM] Dish said............

When you asked them to explain what they werer talking about, could they?
True HD?
----- Original Message -----
To: <VOOM@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 15, 2005 10:38 AM
Subject: [VOOM] Dish said............

>
> I just cancelled my DISH network account and am looking forward to HD w/

VOOM. During my conversation w/ DISH, I was told by 2 reps that VOOM's HD is
not true HD and that theirs (DISH) is?
>
> Comments?
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>
>
>
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

------------------------

They gave me the same line when I called a few months back. IMO they are liars. They could split hairs and say much of VOOM content is transfered from 35 mm but who cares.

I still hold the issue with the poor customer service, they may be lying about the pq but you can still go to the bbb homepage and see that voom is not supported because of multiple unresolved escalated issues. I know thats another thing dish customer retention tries pushing, the context that the dish net rep was referring to though is some of the channels are upconverted thus enhanced def at best. But I give Voom kudos when it is due and for the number of channels it has in hd instead of ed, yeah kudos voom. And facts to back up claims so I don't come off as a troll.

http://www.bbbnewyork.org/businessreports/Default.aspx?id=76866

Don't believe Dish when they talk about up-conversion. The way I understand it is the Voom Original Movie Channels (GuyTV etc.), as well as HBO and other premium movie channels are up-converted, but they have to be. Since these movies were filmed with regular 35 mm, before HD technology was around, the only way to broadcast these films in HD is to up-convert them. True HD is a program that is shot on HD film, and broadcast in HD. These movies in question are only broadcast in HD (up-convertion). You will notice that the programs on Equator look better than the movie channels. This is because they were shot on HD film. Dish should not bitch about up-conversion because in this case up-conversion is the best anyone can do since they weren't shot on HD film. Other Voom originals are shot in HD and broadcast in HD. For Dish to try to win business back by claiming up-conversion is in very poor taste, because if they ever got off their butt and created an HD movie channel, the movies they showed would be up-converted too.
I apologize if this is confusing. In short, Dish is lying when they say Voom is up-converting, because Dish would have to do the same for that certain programming. Now on another note, I wonder how the Dish Original HD channels are coming along? They have 6 HD Channels and Voom offers 4 of them. While Voom has 39 and 21 are original. I wonder if they will broadcast Charlie Chat in HD to explain why they won't be providing HD in the future.

VOOM movies are NOT "upconvertions". They're "transfers". An upconvertion means that the source material is of lower resolution than HD. In the case of VOOM and for the most part premium channels such as HBO, SHO, ect. movies are "transferred" from a 35 mm source which is of higher resolution than HD.
There are few exceptions in some of the (non-VOOM) premium channels (typically STARZ, Encore & TMC). Occasionally they show movies that were "transferred" from a 480p widescreen source. These are "upconvertions" since the source (480) is of less resolution than HD. Typically, these movies are not designated "HD" on the PG.

I was with Dish for many years. Both Dish and DirecTV have higher
compression rates, so their SD PQ is noticeably worse than Voom. HD
quality depends on the original source, some is great, some is O.K.
Overall, Voom's PQ is much better, and I hope it stays this way (it is
what sold it for me, that and the great HD movie channels they have +
Equator:).

--- In VOOM@yahoogroups.com, vurbano <satguys2004@y...> wrote:
>
> Dish has great PQ from what I hear. IF flippin through your HD
> selections in the time it takes to sneeze doesnt bother you I would go
> with Dish. Problem is they have NO capacity for anything else and NO
> expansion plans anytime soon.
>
>
> --
> vurbano
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by vurbano

------------------------

vurbano said:
Have fun waiting and have fun buying a new reciever.

Maybe, but I'm also having fun with Superstations and West Coast feeds of the Broadcast networks. I switched my fox timers from the east coast to the west coast and had no problems in the fall due to football. Any D* east coast subscribers that can say the same thing?

I agree that buying a new receiver will be bad, but I expect some kind of incentive being offered to offset some of the cost. In the mean time, I've enjoyed HD PVR recording since 1/04 so I will have gotten my money's worth out of it.

The "Walter L." from Portland?! Thanks for your clarification on
"upconvertions". I knew that it didn't sound right but hadn't thought
it through.

Still watching HDTV under rainfadeless Seattle skies, Gill

--- In VOOM@yahoogroups.com, Walter L. <satguys2004@y...> wrote:
>
> VOOM movies are NOT "upconvertions". They're "transfers". An
> upconvertion means that the source material is of lower resolution than
> HD. In the case of VOOM and for the most part premium channels such as
> HBO, SHO, ect. movies are "transferred" from a 35 mm source which is of
> higher resolution than HD.
> There are few exceptions in some of the (non-VOOM) premium channels
> (typically STARZ, Encore & TMC). Occasionally they show movies that
> were "transferred" from a 480p widescreen source. These are
> "upconvertions" since the source (480) is of less resolution than HD.
> Typically, these movies are not designated "HD" on the PG.
>
>
> --
> Walter L.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by Walter L.

------------------------

The quality of the transfer depends on the age and source of the original. Most of the transfers of today's films are done directly for the negative so it is a sharper and more vibrant then the older films that are trasfered from Postive prints. The negative is first generation and a positive print is actually second generation or sometimes more. Also 35mm is as high as film can get in HD but not necessariy the best HD. Video is actually better and what sometimes you see is that a program that is shot in video is then put through a process called filmlook. This makes it look like it was shot on film and actually sharper and usually looks more crisp that real 35mm. I did this for a living for almost 30 years.

Total, utter, complete BS, not even close to being true.

--
who_the
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by who_the

------------------------

i am sure they did tell you that they wanted you to stay with them. they
will just about tell you any thing to keep you as a customer.

--
TYORK
------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was posted via http://www.satelliteguys.us by TYORK

------------------------

Dish has great PQ from what I hear. IF flippin through your HD
selections in the time it takes to sneeze doesnt bother you I would go
with Dish. Problem is they have NO capacity for anything else and NO
expansion plans anytime soon.

--
vurbano