VOOM @ Wal-Mart? What the...

Erosman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
Recently, when facing a 20 -30 minute wait for a nearby appointment, I decided to see what electronics Wal-Mart is carrying nowadays. (It might be an old point of view, but I'd rather spend my money elsewhere, supporting local businesses whenever possible, than make the richest family in America even richer.) (Those new Philips HD TVs seem to have a very good picture!)

I noticed the programming feed for the display TVs changed. Suddenly, I was watching a beautiful outdoor sports show in the snow with great detail and clarity. Then the identifying information came on, "You are watching Rush HD on VOOM; a provider of exceptional quality HD programming. Contact your local satellite or cable provider to receive our programming." Then, a few minutes later a rare clip from a Montriux (spelling?) Jazz Festival on VOOMs Rave channel was showing.

My first thoughts were, How could they be getting programming that has become virtually unavailable almost everywhere? Why are they saying to contact DISH or cable folks to get VOOM when so many folks seem to be celebrating the announcement that VOOM is going out of business? Could I possibly once again get the best commercial free HD programming, the rarest HD concert clips, and the sharpest HD movies I've seen to date?

I asked the Wal-Mart staff person who appeared most likely to be able to answer my question, "Where are you getting this from and how can I get what is showing on these TVS?" He tried to put me off with a generic "Contact your cable company" answer. I replied that VOOM wasn't available on any cable service in this state or this part of the country; and it was no longer available through DISH. I said, if it is available, I'll sign up in a second.

He then said that the feed showing on their TVs is a Wal-Mart internal video loop designed to show the best qualities of HD TV. He had no idea whether or not if what they showed on their TVs was something their customers could watch at home once they bought a TV from Wal-Mart. He also said they keep using the same video loops if they do a good job of showing HD capabilities.

There are several possible conclusions one could take from this experience. Two that come to my mind are:
1) Is this an example of questionable ethics or misleading marketing by Wal-Mart when they show how great their TVs are by using programming their customers will never be able to receive or see at home?
2) Wal-Mart didn't choose HD Family or HD Fishing to demo their TVs. They chose programming from two VOOM channels. I wish I would have had this information last year when DISH staff tried to tell me their new offerings would be just as good or better than what I enjoyed from VOOM.

The satellite and cable providers have just about nip-tucked me to death with all the fees and programming issues. I can see the day when I get my HD TV over the air and the only satellite provider I subscribe to is SIRIUS/XM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts