Voomer with a question

adtoolco

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 9, 2004
Springfield, Massachusetts
What is it about Voom that didn't attract you? Sure, they went though some growing pains, but the service is a good one. Is the DVR that much of an issue? Or was it the locals? Or a combination of factors? What sucks is Voom was just getting into its stride. Anyway, just wanted to know what it was that didn't get people to nibble.

-Chris

I came very close to switching to VOOM from DISH when I got an HD TV in November. Even had an appointment scheduled. But after reading all the bad on this forum about Voom's billing, installation problems, tech support, customer service, not to mention uncertainty about Voom's life span, I decided to upgrade with DISH on a one year contract for the 811. That way I would give it a year to see which company got it's act together for HD/MPEG4/DVR come Jan. 06.

I had voom for 6mos and kept dish during this time. I loved it! My box was stable and didn't have that many problems. Heck my 811 at the time was less stable. I had vavavoom and it was pretty expensive so I had to give it up. I really thought it was great. Just not real packages if you didn't get the vavavoom. The hd content on some of the voom channels were repeats but man did it look good. I'm really sorry to see it go. At least I got my collectors dish. ; )

To expensive!!!!!

For me to keep my kids and wife happy I would have had to keep Dish, for all of the basic channels, and then have Voom. That would have been around $90 a month at the cheapest, not counting any movie channels! If Voom would have had all of the basic channels that I wanted, I would have come closer to getting Voom. Then the HD content, I don't care if it "looks good" as Brian says, I would require that there was something interesting and different. I guess I am one of those that are not that impressed with HD, I like it, but I am not going to spend lots of money to have channels that I am not interested in (News in HD? What the …). Out of their 39 or so Channels I was interested in about ten of them. In addition, the additional Cinemax, Showtime, channels would have been nice, but once again, they did not have some channels that Dish has. IMHO, Voom was before their time, if they had waited five or ten more years they probably would have done a lot better.

I had voom for a while and liked it. The problem I had was no OTA in my area with out an antenna the size of a car, and then it was only a few channels. I would have stayed with it if they had locals.

In my opinion, if they are/were to survive as a true alternative to the leaders they would have to deliver locals with the dish. I am not willing to pay for cable (cablevision in my area) for local channels and pay for satellite. If they had locals there is a good chance I would still be a subscriber.

I had some install problems and billing problems like everyone else but the picture was better then cable and they were a new company. The even gave me credit for service until they exausted all of the antenna options for the locals (4 tries).

Also what pushed me over the edge was thet I won a nice new TV and 811 receiver from Theis AWSOME website! Thanks again Scott!

The lack of all of the SD channels kept me away. Like others have said, I couldn't afford to keep Dish for the basic channels, then pay for Voom as well.

That being said, I am jumping to Cablevision cable end of this month. More HD channels, Lease of an HD DVR (which is supposed to be MUCH better then the 921) and won't have to pay a $250 surcharge for the pleasure of being able to pay a monthly fee for it.
Be nice to see some of the VOM programing that Charlie didn't buy, to make it's way to Cablevision cable.

No locals for the two other sets in my house that aren't HD. And I was scared off by all the reports of billing problems.

mboy said:
The lack of all of the SD channels kept me away. Like others have said, I couldn't afford to keep Dish for the basic channels, then pay for Voom as well.

Ditto...I still considered it, but was chased off by their archaic requirement of a phone line or no service, unlike E* which at least lets you pay the rip-off fee to no have one. :rolleyes:

Perhaps if they could have offered an HD only package at a reasonable price, more folks would have considered using it as a supplement to a primary SD service, be it cable or D*/E*

I had Voom and switched to Dish. I got sick of the constant lock-up and policies of not allowing self install for additional recievers..... The where running it to much like a cable company in my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)