Vote For Dish....

I don't see how Echostar can charge a dvr fee when you will own the box and have no more dealings with them other than if you buy their video on demand through the ethernet port. If they attach a monthly dvr fee , the box won't sell. THis box was designed to kill TIvo since they charge 12.95 a month for their dvr fee. It was also designed to tap the 21 million ota viewers who don't have satellite or cable .

I don't see how Echostar can charge a dvr fee when you will own the box and have no more dealings with them other than if you buy their video on demand through the ethernet port. If they attach a monthly dvr fee , the box won't sell. THis box was designed to kill TIvo since they charge 12.95 a month for their dvr fee. It was also designed to tap the 21 million ota viewers who don't have satellite or cable .

Bingo! This box is no different than a standalone Tivo except Tivo wants $13 from you I only want $3!

I dont believe there will be a DVR fee associated with this unit. Since it is for Over The Air use and not hooked to satellite there is no way for Dish to authorize or turn off the DVR functions if you don't pay.

However with that said some of the IPTV offerings that this receiver can tune to will have a cost associated with them.

Also remember this is NOT a Dish Network product, this is an ECHOSTAR product and is not aimed twards Dish Network customers.

ANd I WANT one just for the fact that they won't have a fee. I can get by with one of these babies in my bedroom and even combine the signal from my main 722 & the ota channels to my TR5o since it has both an analog and digital tuner in it. THat way I could see the 722 ota channel listed in my guide for my ota stations. I could watch it all through my Tr50 using the hdmi . It should make the picture look much better than it does today over coax straight to my analog tuner. Then I could eliminate one dvr and save the fees.

If there were a better selection of IPTV offerings then they might have something here as a replacement for traditional cable/satellite TV. With a fast enough internet connection, might this thing work for streaming IPTV? Maybe get a basic package of cable channels with some free on-demand content for one low price? It could work if done right. I can't see how they would be able to stream HD content at current home internet speeds, but downloading movies and on-demand content wouldn't be out of reach.

That was the impression I got at Team Summit in Dallas back in May. Charlie alluded to his problems with NAB and the broadcasters in regards to broadcasting distant networks. He said that all the congressmen on Capitol Hill get their local news channels over the internet. He said there are no restricitons such as SHVIA that apply to getting distants over the internet. I got the idea that Charlie was planning on bypassing the regulations by finding a way to transmit any distant network programming to anyone anywhere, regardless. And this was going to be done by streaming the content.

Stacy A said:
Charlie alluded to his problems with NAB and the broadcasters in regards to broadcasting distant networks. He said that all the congressmen on Capitol Hill get their local news channels over the internet.
Congressmen and anyone else can get their local news channels over the internet, because the local channel can stream their newscast via their website as the station owns the copyright. Other programming which the station licenses, such as network programming and syndicated programming is NOT streamed.
Stacy A said:
He said there are no restricitons such as SHVIA that apply to getting distants over the internet.
OH, yes there are.

Dish Network was found in violation of copyright law regarding their use of the distant network license. And in a nutshell, there will be no "legal" way of getting distant networks streamed over the internet. iCraveTV was shut down back in 1999 for trying it.
Stacy A said:
I got the idea that Charlie was planning on bypassing the regulations by finding a way to transmit any distant network programming to anyone anywhere, regardless. And this was going to be done by streaming the content.
I'll tell you now that if that is the business plan, this will never get off of the ground.
MikeD-CO5 said:
Riddle me this...

Does anyone know if this TR-50 infringes upon the TiVo Time Warp patent? And before anyone tries to answer no immediately, realize that the injunction (as currently stayed pending appeal) states:

U.S. District Court Judge David Folsom granted TiVo's motion for permanent injunction to prevent EchoStar Communications Corp. (Nasdaq: DISH; "ECC") from making, using, offering for sale or selling in the United States their DVR products at issue in the case (DP-501, DP-508, DP-510, DP-721, DP-921, DP-522, DP-625, DP-942, and all EchoStar DVRs that are not more than colorably different from any of these products).

If the TR-50 isn't "colorably different", it ends up added to the list.

Greg,

My point was that Charlie indicated that if congressmen could get their local news in Washington, on the internet, why can't those of us who aren't lawmakers? We should each be able to get whatever news we want from wherever. He indicated the internet was going to be the key to that. He said the only way to beat NAB was to take away their money - and where do they get their money? Commercials. How do you get rid of commercials? You watch programs on DVR. Simple point. A DVR for every home. I don't know why you have be such a Dish hater.

P.S. Please explain what you mean by "colorably different".

Stacy A said:
My point was that Charlie indicated that if congressmen could get their local news in Washington, on the internet, why can't those of us who aren't lawmakers?
Uh, because you can already do what the congressmen do, and that is go to the website of the local channel and get the news. The newscasts are streamed over the internet.
Stacy A said:
We should each be able to get whatever news we want from wherever. He indicated the internet was going to be the key to that.
And you can already. And it is because of the internet.
Stacy A said:
He said the only way to beat NAB was to take away their money - and where do they get their money? Commercials. How do you get rid of commercials? You watch programs on DVR. Simple point. A DVR for every home.
By watching newscasts?
Stacy A said:
I don't know why you have be such a Dish hater.
Someone made the "leap of faith" that, "Charlie was planning on bypassing the regulations by finding a way to transmit any distant network programming to anyone anywhere, regardless." That is IMPOSSIBLE. It is not allowed nor will it be. Copyright law already would stop this idea dead in its tracks.
Stacy A said:
P.S. Please explain what you mean by "colorably different".
I cannot. This came from the injunction in the TiVo v. Echostar lawsuit. My guess is if Echostar's appeal is unsuccessful, once the case is remanded back to District Court, TiVo will ask for a clarification on other Echostar DVR's that weren't yet released when the lawsuit started.

Here's what I am trying to figure out. The one true standalone DVR appliance maker left, TiVo, is very close to winning their suit against one IRD DVR competitor, Echostar. Echostar wants to enter the standalone market, with the same "Time Warp" feature that got Echostar in trouble with TiVo in the first place. The question is if the TR-50 is "colorably different" than any of the other Echostar DVR's. Why would TiVo agree to let this receiver on the market if it infringes on their patent?

As far as being a "hater", I am only trying to diffuse half-baked beliefs that have no basis in fact, such even thinking the internet would be a safe way to retransmit distant network feeds. Just call me a "realist".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)