w/ 921 do I have to buy a new Switch and Dish Pro

ScottChez

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2003
Question:

I currently have a 501 and a 4900 on an older Dish 500 that is using Two SW21 switches.

To add a 3rd Receiver like the 921 that requires TWO more Sat feeds, what switch do I need? Will it be free with the purchase?

Do I also have to change the older LNBs for something like Dish Pro?

What is Dish Pro?

What switch would I need if I also want a 148 Degree 2nd dish for my PBS Local station on the wing sat?

I plan to order a 921 on day one, if there is not too much of a wait on delivery. Needs something for Xmas.

DishPro is not required for the 921 but as you said two feeds are necessary. I switched to DishPro yesterday because I needed the two feeds for the 921 and one for the 811. I also have a PVR501. Until I get the 921, I am using a 301. They however are all DishPro. Your problem will be the 4900. A DishPro adapter will be needed with the 4900. DishPro LNBF's simplify the connections and you use less equipment. I have the Wing Dish at 61.5 in use with a DP single LNBF. You just unscrew the old old Legacy and attch the new one. On the Dish500 pointed at 110 and 119 I put a DP Twin LNBF. I have them connected to a DishPro34 Switch. Three leads go in and four feeds come out. No power supply is needed. Its very simple. Plus the DishPro34 has outputs for cascading another Switch to add a maximum of eight receivers. I have the extra cable from the 34 swith sitting next to the spot where the 921 will go. I could very well be one of the first to offer feed back on the 921. I have a good chance of receiving one before Christmas. I might even get one by Friday.

Ray S said:
Plus the DishPro34 has outputs for cascading another Switch to add a maximum of eight receivers.

Actaully, you can cascade 3 DP 34's, for a total of 12 receivers. In addition, if you replaace the DP Twin LNBF with a DP Quad, you can support another 3 DP34 switches, for a total of 24 receivers!

The DishPro "stacked" technology does simplify things, especially when you get above 2 receivers, and for long cable runs. That's why I upgraded from legacy to DishPro recently.

I am still confused.

I do not have any Dish Pro LNBs.

So when I place my 921 order do I need both a new switch and the Dish pro LNBs?

Since I have been studying this for 4 Years and know alot about dish and I am confused, image how confused a CSR will be?

So I can be sure to not also confuse the CSR, do you know the part numbers of what I need or the model of the switch and LNB?

ScottChez:
I was confused about all this until I went to DishDepot.Com and went to current subscribers and then to LNBF's and Multiswitches. The pictures and descriptions helped me to figure it all out. You can try to order it from Dish. You might want to wait for the next Charlie Chat and see if they are offering any free instillation.

The easiest way to do this is to get an SW64 switch from Scott. This switch will allow you to run 4 outputs from your dish, 2 for 921, 1 each for your other receivers. I assume you already have or are planning to run an extra line for your 921, as it will require 2 inputs to operate.

Earl

Ray S said:
[...]I went to DishDepot.Com and went to current subscribers and then to LNBF's and Multiswitches. The pictures and descriptions helped me to figure it all out...
Ray -

Could you please post a link? I've been to DishDepot.com numerous times (just looked again) and can't find the diagrams you mentioned.

Thanks

ScottChez said:
Question:

I currently have a 501 and a 4900 on an older Dish 500 that is using Two SW21 switches.

'sounds like you have 2 Dual LNBF's on the 500. One LNBF is for the 110 satellite, and the other is for the 119. Each LNBF has two outputs, which will output either the odd or the even transponders, depending on the DC voltage level fed into it by the receiver.

A SW21 switch is used for each receiver, to connect an LBNF output from the 110 bird and the 119 bird together. The receiver sends control signals to the switch to tell it which satellite to switch to.

To add a 3rd Receiver like the 921 that requires TWO more Sat feeds, what switch do I need?

In this case, you'll have 4 tuners. The most straightforward way to do this is to replace the two SW21's with an SW64 switch. It has 4 outputs for the 4 receivers. It has 6 inputs. You'll run the 4 outputs from the LNBF's to 4 of these. Two of the inputs will be left unconnected, and would be used in the future if you add a dish for the 61.5 or 148 degree satellite.

The SW64 will configure one of the outputs on an LNBF to emit the even transponders signal, and the other output the odd transponders. This way, all of the signals are continually available to the switch, and may be routed to any of the receivers as needed.

Will it be free with the purchase?

Maybe if Dish eventually has an upgrade deal for the 921 for existing customers, but I doubt it.

Do I also have to change the older LNBs for something like Dish Pro?

Not if you get the SW64. If you get a DishPro switch, such as the DP34, then you need to get DishPro LNBF's.

What is Dish Pro?

It's a newer technology. DishPro LNBF's are called "stacked" LNBF's because, unlike the legacy devices where only the either the odd or the even transponders are emitted depending on the DC voltage, the DishPro devices emit both at the same time, by putting one at a higher frequency band. Thus, all the transponders from a satellite can be carried on a single cable, at the same time.

Advantages are that only one cable per satellite is needed to the LNBF's. Also, since DC voltage is not used for switching, there's no need to worry about DC loss in the cable; cable runs can therefore be longer (~200 ft. of RG-6).

What switch would I need if I also want a 148 Degree 2nd dish for my PBS Local station on the wing sat?

As I said above, the SW64 would support that. You'll need to install a second dish with a legacy Dual LNBF.

This is an OK way to proceed, unless you want to go with more than 4 tuners in the near future. Doing so gets messy and costly with the SW64. With DishPro, it's alot easier, as the DP34 switch is made to be cascadable.

I plan to order a 921 on day one, if there is not too much of a wait on delivery. Needs something for Xmas.

Good Luck.

May be a dumb question but I have basically the exact setup as Scottchez.
Will the Dishpro apporved spliter on a single feed make it two feeds that will work with the 921?
link: http://www.dishstore.net/product_info.php?products_id=78

FREAK!

Nope. Each input on the 921 needs its own connection to the switch. That's the only way one input can look at one satellite, while the other looks at the other one.

So you currently have two SW21's, one for the 4900 and one for the 6000? They both would be replaced by the SW64. If You decide to keep the 6000, the SW64 would support that as well.

ok let me preface my next comment with this 'I don't know much about exterior wiring and such of the dishes. Once the wires come in the house I am ok'
I believe I have 2 sw21. I know where 1 is on the exterior wall of my house. The other, no friggin idea. I thought that the lnb's I have have a built in sw21. If I just replace the one sw21 I can locate with a 64, will that do it?
thanks
FREAK!

OK, you said you had the exact setup as Scottchez. Based on your comments, it appears that may not be the case.

Do you have a second dish for the 61.5 degree bird? I ask because you have a 6000. Without the second dish, there would have been no HD to watch until recently.

If you do have the second dish, is it only connected to the 6000 and not the 4900 (what does the Check Switch test on each receiver). Do you still want the 61.5 brid going to the 6000 and/or the 921?

Yes I do have the 61.5 and yes I still want it because I am one of the few who get CBSHD.
Sorry if I was wrong/confused. Like I said, I don't know jack..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts