wall fishing

bweiteka.

Dish does NOT pay for fishing walls!!

Dish pays $100 FOR A BASIC INSTALL: Dish mounted on existing structure, running cable to receiver(s), setting up, activating receiver.

fred

how much is the cost for installation of a 522? Not going thru dish? Two scenarios:

- If I buy the 522 as well
- If I have my own 522 ?

fishman said:
what about phone lines for a 322/522, do you run them for free?

Yes, if need be. I mean really, how hard is it to tie a phone wire along with your coax to a chain and do it all in one pull? It's still just one wall fish. In that case I use a wall plate that has a coax barrel and a phone jack all in one plate.

xcableguy said:
Yes, if need be. I mean really, how hard is it to tie a phone wire along with your coax to a chain and do it all in one pull? It's still just one wall fish. In that case I use a wall plate that has a coax barrel and a phone jack all in one plate.

Again, you are taking a risk installing that line into the customers system. If something happens with the customers phone system I will bet money that the phone company is gonna say you did it. Guess what all that work you just did for "FREE" just cost you alot more than you made. Also last I knew phone cable was not free, it cost you money to do that.

I charge to install a phone line, my time is money just like every other person around here. The phone company charges $75.00 to come out to your house, and $25.00 every 15 min they are there. Thats atleast $125.00 to get a phone line put in.

xcableguy,

People like you are the reason that we won't be able to make any money installing. Stop giving your talents away. They are worth something!

How many requests do you get for wall fish? I do 2-3 installs a day 6 days a week and never wall fish. Typically the receiver can be located on an outside wall or the wire can be brought up through the basement. With the new DPP twins coming out this should be even less of a concern as existing wiring can be used. As far as running phone lines, there is no way I would ever touch a customer's phone wiring. Typically the customer has spliced into the system and not done in properly, and as soon as you touch it, you are going to be on the hook for any problems pre existing. They can pay the $5/mo or purchase a set of wireless phone jacks from me.

fishman said:
I wish I could get a definition on what is covered in a standard install

There are multiple definitions of a standard professional installation within DISH Network. The DNSC employees have to do most of the work of everyone for free. You're talking about pole mounts, attic/crawl space wall fishes, and etc. As for retailers, pole mounts, attic/crawl space wall fishes are not required in our installation descriptions.

Just make sure you educate the customer and meet his/her expectations. If the customer is cheap and won't pay a cent for a non-standard installation, then walk away. The customer will likely come back to DISH if and when he finds that the next company will not install for free as well. But for the most part many customers do appreciate good work and will tip for extra labor that's beyond the standard installation. But they'll only know after you go over what a standard installation entails. Show that list and you should know whether that customer wants to play ball or not. ;)

To clarify, I sell all of my installs and it's part of my sales pitch to include running all necessary lines. So I make plenty of money on a job because I'm getting paid for the sale AND the install. I don't let greed stop me from making a sale and making money that I otherwise would not have made.

xcableguy said:
To clarify, I sell all of my installs and it's part of my sales pitch to include running all necessary lines. So I make plenty of money on a job because I'm getting paid for the sale AND the install. I don't let greed stop me from making a sale and making money that I otherwise would not have made.
And THAT'S the advantage of working with a local retailer!

The company I work for does pretty much the same thing. The boss isn't afraid to pay installers well, and expects them to be flexible on the tougher jobs.

We're small enough that it's easy for us to provide personalized service - which extends beyond satellite TV. ;) It's pretty darn impressive when a customer walks into my shop with a sick PC and I ask them how the E* system installed by "Joe" is working out for them. :) Can you say "word of mouth advertising"? :)

Same here, Simon,

I do all custom work for local dealers. I do all sorts of custom work, including custom electrical and network installs.

I stopped doing fulfill installs a long time ago. I hated doing marginal rushed jobs with results that I would not want for myself. A lot of customers just want cheap or free. They never fully realize the full potential of thier systems or have numerous problems.

They get basically what they paid for, "Nothing!" or even worse, "Less than Nothing!" in aggravation. It's sad, when you see a $2 million house with strings of spagetti like coax comimg down the front roof. I get a lot of jobs like that repairing the so called "free fulfillment install."

I have only one price, and that's the price with the highest quality. If they want less, they can go elsewhere.

Those who pay my price have never been disappointed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts