Wall Street Mocks DirectTV's HD claims

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Seems I have been reading about this in another thread...But thanks to KAB for once again bringing it to our attention. KAB looks like another E* sub that is trying to justify his choice. For the life of me, can't imagine how you would consider anything that D* is doing as a negative. Sounds like whatever they do will be a great help to everyone where HD is concerned. Funny, I still haven't seen the D* sub that is upset with the claims that D* is making. Funnier yet, I haven't found the D* sub that gives a hoot if D* hits their 100 HD channel mark. If we as customers dont why do you

Ah but - take a look back over the past 4 weeks at the ever coming announcements of new HD channels launching on DirecTV - this is only the start of the flow of this info. You can expect many more similar press releases in the upcoming 5 months!

Today from DirecTV regarding the 11 HBO/Cinemax channels:
DirecTV - Investor Relations - News Release

From May 23rd announcing Four Discovery HD Channels, Five Starz HD Channels, CNBC and Chiller to Join the HD Pack, More on the Way:

From May 8th regarding History and A&E:

I am going to break this down in my typical business analytical way.

Lets say the breakdown of HD channels is this.

50 accessible to you nationally and fulltime 24 hours/7 days a week.
20 are regional sports and you only get one.
15 are Sunday Ticket or some other Sports subscription
15 are something else, fluff or PPV

So the impact to me is potentially this much HD a week.

True National: 50 x 24 x 7 = 8,400 hours x 50% watchable or not dupes or just plain crap = 4,200 hours

Regional Sports: Lets just be fair and say 5 games a week or 20 hours at 4 hours per game

Sunday Ticket: 13 games x 3 hours = 39 hours

Other: 15 x 24 x 7 = 2,520 x 10% applicable(?) = 252 hours

So this launch gives me the option to watch 4,511 hours of HD. Lets say I watch 4 hours per day or 28 hours per week. Lets say 14 are already served in HD today (Sunday Ticket, HBO, Local Networks, ESPN, NESN, HDNet, etc.). So I could adjust my watching for the 14 hours unserved or would supplement with newer available HD. Thats potentially 4,511 hours to fill 14 hours or 322 hours of choice to fill 1 hour.

I like my odds that whatever the number, I only have to find choice to adjust or fill 14 hours per week. So the number could be off by 20 fulltime, but I am pretty happy with my odds that the new channels they are announcing is going to have enough content to make my unfulfilled 14 hours per week satisfying. Whether its 322 hours to 1 hour or just 100 to 1, its a great time to be an HD Directv subscriber.

I am going to break this down in my typical business analytical way.

Lets say the breakdown of HD channels is this.

50 accessible to you nationally and fulltime 24 hours/7 days a week.
20 are regional sports and you only get one.
15 are Sunday Ticket or some other Sports subscription
15 are something else, fluff or PPV

So the impact to me is potentially this much HD a week.

True National: 50 x 24 x 7 = 8,400 hours x 50% watchable or not dupes or just plain crap = 4,200 hours

Regional Sports: Lets just be fair and say 5 games a week or 20 hours at 4 hours per game

Sunday Ticket: 13 games x 3 hours = 39 hours

Other: 15 x 24 x 7 = 2,520 x 10% applicable(?) = 252 hours

So this launch gives me the option to watch 4,511 hours of HD. Lets say I watch 4 hours per day or 28 hours per week. Lets say 14 are already served in HD today (Sunday Ticket, HBO, Local Networks, ESPN, NESN, HDNet, etc.). So I could adjust my watching for the 14 hours unserved or would supplement with newer available HD. Thats potentially 4,511 hours to fill 14 hours or 322 hours of choice to fill 1 hour.

I like my odds that whatever the number, I only have to find choice to adjust or fill 14 hours per week. So the number could be off by 20 fulltime, but I am pretty happy with my odds that the new channels they are announcing is going to have enough content to make my unfulfilled 14 hours per week satisfying. Whether its 322 hours to 1 hour or just 100 to 1, its a great time to be an HD Directv subscriber.

Ah brewer - I sub to the Sports Pack - I will get all of the RSNs as they will be true CONUS and NATIONALLY OFFERED if you desire the tier. No different than ANY channel - as they are not all available on ALL tiers either. NOT every subscriber will get all HD channels, only the ones that you have in YOUR OWN SPECIFIC package - same as currently with SD channels.

Ah brewer - I sub to the Sports Pack - I will get all of the RSNs as they will be true CONUS and NATIONALLY OFFERED if you desire the tier. No different than ANY channel - as they are not all available on ALL tiers either. NOT every subscriber will get all HD channels, only the ones that you have in YOUR OWN SPECIFIC package - same as currently with SD channels.

I did this analysis specific to me. It was only an example of the ludicrous concept that 40 is different than 70 than 100. If at least 30 or 40 are good applicable HD options, then what does it matter? I just wanted to quantify the fact that 100 or so loosely described is a BOAT load of HD options to anyone. How many folks watch more than 20 SD channels right now?

Ah brewer - I sub to the Sports Pack - I will get all of the RSNs as they will be true CONUS and NATIONALLY OFFERED if you desire the tier. No different than ANY channel - as they are not all available on ALL tiers either.

Scobuck,
Am I reading this wrong, or did you point out that IF you have the Sports Pack you would actually get the pro games (outside of your reginal) once the new sats are up and operational.

Jimbo

Scobuck,
Am I reading this wrong, or did you point out that IF you have the Sports Pack you would actually get the pro games (outside of your reginal) once the new sats are up and operational.

Jimbo

Nope any pro sports games that are in MLB Extra Innings etc will be blacked out on all RSN feeds even with the sports pak. Now all the shows and nearly all of the college sports on those channels "won't" be blacked out so that could be a very nice package next year. With all of these RSNs doing HDTV college games I would be greatly interested in the fact that DirecTV will offer those RSNs using conus instead of spotbeams.

Nope any pro sports games that are in MLB Extra Innings etc will be blacked out on all RSN feeds even with the sports pak. Now all the shows and nearly all of the college sports on those channels "won't" be blacked out so that could be a very nice package next year. With all of these RSNs doing HDTV college games I would be greatly interested in the fact that DirecTV will offer those RSNs using conus instead of spotbeams.

I didn't think that the SP would actually become a worthwhile package outside of your local team .....
I don't recall seeing to much blacked out in college sports, maybe I am not paying close enough attention to it because I get what I need from the package.

Jimbo

If I remember correctly...and correct me if I am wrong but:

Was it not mentioned that all of the games in the MLB EI pack that are broadcast in HD will be available to those of us that have both the Sportspack and MLBEI next year? Also as a side note, what a great day it was the other day when the Phils/Chisox game on 730 was an HD Broadcast from none other than Comcast out of Phily. I never thought I would see the day.

Oh, and let me post this before any of the naysayers log on:

You D* fanboys are idiots! The sats that D is launching are none other than large balled up pieces of aluminum foil with bent coat hangers sticking out of them. You all actually think that those things at a cost of about $1.26 each are going to bring you more HD? Also, last year Tiki Barber told us that if we wanted the most NFL than we needed to have our E*. I believe Tiki because he is real and now and that dude form "Back to the Future" has been dead for 3 years! I don't have anymore time for you wishful thinkers, gotta go watch Godzilla for the 754th time on my beloved Voom. See you on the good side in January when you all finally understand that D* was actually playing a joke on you all.:eek:

There, I said it so you all don't have to give your 2 cents!

Last edited:

You D* fanboys are idiots! The sats that D is launching are none other than large balled up pieces of aluminum foil with bent coat hangers sticking out of them. You all actually think that those things at a cost of about $1.26 each are going to bring you more HD? Also, last year Tiki Barber told us that if we wanted the most NFL than we needed to have our E*. I believe Tiki because he is real and now and that dude form "Back to the Future" has been dead for 3 years! I don't have anymore time for you wishful thinkers, gotta go watch Godzilla for the 754th time on my beloved Voom. See you on the good side in January when you all finally understand that D* was actually playing a joke on you all.:eek:

LOL! All that is missing form that is "... that's my story and I'm sticking to it!"

If I remember correctly...and correct me if I am wrong but:

Was it not mentioned that all of the games in the MLB EI pack that are broadcast in HD will be available to those of us that have both the Sportspack and MLBEI next year? Also as a side note, what a great day it was the other day when the Phils/Chisox game on 730 was an HD Broadcast from none other than Comcast out of Phily. I never thought I would see the day.

There, I said it so you all don't have to give your 2 cents!

Where on earth did this come from ?
Another DISH person that has to come bash D* for doing what they said all along they were going to do.

Jimbo

Shouldn't they be waiting until DirecTV X is in orbit and functioning before claiming this stuff will launch this year? They'd look even more stupid if its delayed or there is a glitch on launch or insertion. Nothing like trying to jinx yourself.

Where on earth did this come from ?
Another DISH person that has to come bash D* for doing what they said all along they were going to do.

Jimbo

Uh, Jimbo, I think you need to re-read Flying J's post. You missed the lines between the lines, where his tongue was firmly planted in his cheek.

I did this analysis specific to me. It was only an example of the ludicrous concept that 40 is different than 70 than 100. If at least 30 or 40 are good applicable HD options, then what does it matter? I just wanted to quantify the fact that 100 or so loosely described is a BOAT load of HD options to anyone. How many folks watch more than 20 SD channels right now?

The problem that they are pointing out is not that D would have 150 channels- oh excuse me, thats up to 150 channels in HD but that D is not giving out much if at all any real information as to what the channel line up will be. If you watch the celebrity clad commercials and the serious Aussie actor public service anouncement of listen or else commercial the wording is such that the viewer is led to believe that he will have at his hands 150 choices to choose from for his or her HD viewing, this is where the speculation is coming in at and D's campaign could very well back fire on them if they arent careful.

You sounded like the same people when D* announched 100 HD national channels back CE "there's not a hundered channels to add". Look at the latest list of channels to be carried in september. Some act like kids, channels are being announced all the time (look at HBO this week).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)