Wally DVR compatible?

Is the Wally DVR compatible? I’m trying to add DVR functionality without having to upgrade to the hopper and joeys etc.
Yes, you need to buy a compatible USB hard drive and it can act as a DVR.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Yes, you need to buy a compatible USB hard drive and it can act as a DVR.

How does dish activate this feature once I hook up a compatable hardrive?

Some of the information from the blog posted above is outdated or incorrect. The hard drive capacities limits for a Wally are 500GB up to 4TB.

With the hard drive connected you have access to 2 satellite tuners so you can record one thing and watch something different at the same time or record two things at the same time.

If you are within range of broadcast television signals you can add the OTA module and have access to two additional antenna tuners.

In this configuration the Wally can record 4 shows at the same time.

And after you pay your fee you can actually add another hard drive to another Wally for no charge at all. Keep in mind that your DVR functions only work with the Wally it is plugged into.

Can't you do sneakernet by moving the EHD from one wally to another and see the programs recorded there by the other Wally? It works that way with the 211 series. WAAAY back when I had a 622 and two 211s with 3 or 4 EHDs for my 211s and could shut one down (important) and move the EHD to another (also shut down - unplugged from power) power it up and the programs were there to play.

Last edited:
With the hard drive connected you have access to 2 satellite tuners so you can record one thing and watch something different at the same time or record two things at the same time.
You should probably add this only works connected to a proper LNB &/or switch configuration. I know it works with the DPH (hybrid) line, but doesn't it work with certain others, like the DPP LNB/switches?

Can't you do sneakernet by moving the EHD from one wally to another and see the programs recorded there by the other Wally? It works that way with the 211 series. WAAAY back when I had a 622 and two 211s with 3 or 4 EHDs for my 211s and could shut one down (important) and move the EHD to another (also shut down - unplugged from power) power it up and the programs were there to play.

The hard drive is tied to your Dish Account so you can move it from one Wally to another Wally on the same account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should probably add this only works connected to a proper LNB &/or switch configuration. I know it works with the DPH (hybrid) line, but doesn't it work with certain others, like the DPP LNB/switches?
Dpp provides signal up to two tuners per line and hybrid lnbs or switches up 16 tuners per line. So it works with any configuration.