Wally Issue

motts461

Original poster
Feb 2, 2014
PA
I purchased a Wally receiver over the winter and use it with a eastern arc 1000.2 hybrid antennae. I installed two diaplexors in my motor home. One at the outside connection then one on the inside so I could use the existing cabling. I previously had a VIP 211z receiver and had no issues with this setup.
I used the Wally a couple of weeks ago without any problems other than having to change the coax to port one on the lnb. This weekend I set up the dish, found 61.5 and 72 satellites and thought I was good to go. I turned off the tv and receiver and did some camping stuff. Later that night I turned everything back on and did not have 72. I thought maybe originally that I didn't have 72 and had 61.5 on the wrong eye so I tried to allign dish and lost both. I got frustrated, shut everything down and tried again later. Later I was able to get both satellites and was good to go again. This morning I turned on everything and had no signal on either satellite. I did a test installation on the diagnostic page and had both satellites again. My signal strength is 75 on 61.5 and 55 on 72.
So, I read on another post that Wallies do not like diaplexers and was wondering if this could be my problem. If anyone has any insight on this it would be appreciated.

I'm unsure why you need the diplexers at all. Are you moving the Wally from one area of the motor home to another over separate cables?

I purchased a Wally receiver over the winter and use it with a eastern arc 1000.2 hybrid antennae. I installed two diaplexors in my motor home. One at the outside connection then one on the inside so I could use the existing cabling. I previously had a VIP 211z receiver and had no issues with this setup.
I used the Wally a couple of weeks ago without any problems other than having to change the coax to port one on the lnb. This weekend I set up the dish, found 61.5 and 72 satellites and thought I was good to go. I turned off the tv and receiver and did some camping stuff. Later that night I turned everything back on and did not have 72. I thought maybe originally that I didn't have 72 and had 61.5 on the wrong eye so I tried to allign dish and lost both. I got frustrated, shut everything down and tried again later. Later I was able to get both satellites and was good to go again. This morning I turned on everything and had no signal on either satellite. I did a test installation on the diagnostic page and had both satellites again. My signal strength is 75 on 61.5 and 55 on 72.
So, I read on another post that Wallies do not like diaplexers and was wondering if this could be my problem. If anyone has any insight on this it would be appreciated.
Wallys can work off diplexers, but you need to make sure that they are connected correctly. I've used Outside OTA Antennas with a Wallly. On the outsider, Dish cable to Sat, Antenna to UHF/VHF, In out to Wally location, or more precisely to the In/Out on the other Diplexer. Sat output to the Wally and In/Out to the Cable going to the OTA Tuner. Maybe that gives you insight on how your connection are

Wallys can work off diplexers, but you need to make sure that they are connected correctly. I've used Outside OTA Antennas with a Wallly. On the outsider, Dish cable to Sat, Antenna to UHF/VHF, In out to Wally location, or more precisely to the In/Out on the other Diplexer. Sat output to the Wally and In/Out to the Cable going to the OTA Tuner. Maybe that gives you insight on how your connection are

Thanks. Two questions.

First, I see diplexers from $2 to $55. What quality does this require?

Second, will this antenna/satellite combo work if the antenna is amplified?

The reason I am using diplexers is that my motor home was wired for cable and ota antenna. So there is only one wire from the outside port on the drivers side to the inside port on the passenger side. I wired the in/out from the diplexer on the drivers side to the coax running through the motor home to the in/out of the diplexer inside the unit. I hook the coax from the dish to the sat port on the outside and the receiver to the sat port on the inside. I use the other port of the diplexer for campground cable. Also that single coax running through the camper was wired into a antenna booster on the inside which meant that I could not use it for satellite. By doing it the way I did I have two outside ports one for satellite and one for cable. On the inside one line is connected to sat receiver and the other works as Winnebago wired it. It has worked this way in the past with the old sat receiver. I am using a cheap Eagle Aspen diplexer from Amazon, it was originally an experiment that worked so I had no reason to upgrade.

Thanks. Two questions.

First, I see diplexers from $2 to $55. What quality does this require?

Second, will this antenna/satellite combo work if the antenna is amplified?
I'm not sure on either question. I would be skeptical about amplifying on a Wally and these are diplexers we use, which are power passing, btw.

s-l1000.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
The reason I am using diplexers is that my motor home was wired for cable and ota antenna. So there is only one wire from the outside port on the drivers side to the inside port on the passenger side. I wired the in/out from the diplexer on the drivers side to the coax running through the motor home to the in/out of the diplexer inside the unit. I hook the coax from the dish to the sat port on the outside and the receiver to the sat port on the inside. I use the other port of the diplexer for campground cable.

Diplexers are used to combine an OTA signal with a satellite signal over a coax cable. Are you using campground cable for cable internet? I don’t know whether the frequencies used for cable internet would be compatible with the satellite frequencies. Someone with more knowledge about diplexers might have the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yes that is what I am doing, no campground internet just cable. This is the Ota amp

it is on the tv leg on the inside diplexer after any combining and splitting.

Everything is working fine right now. I am trying to troubleshoot my reception problem and thought the diplexers may be the problem.

Yes that is what I am doing, no campground internet just cable. This is the Ota amp

it is on the tv leg on the inside diplexer after any combining and splitting.

Everything is working fine right now. I am trying to troubleshoot my reception problem and thought the diplexers may be the problem.
Bypass the diplexers to test each one

I have had an issue on my Wally for the last several software versions, where every time I reset the Wally (through Diagnostics > Tools) I then have to run a Test Installation to get the signal to come back. Otherwise, it just sits there on the Acquiring Signal pop-up after the Wally reboots. So, any time you lose signal (after a reset or the nightly reboot) it is a good idea to do the Test Installation first, especially if you had good signal the last time you used the Wally. That step alone may be enough of a work-around to fix your problem.

Reactions: HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)