Wally Network Mystery

Chickenlegs

Original poster
Oct 21, 2023
Port Wing, Wisconsin
We have a new, high-end Dish subscriber with a main house, guesthouse and garage, all brick and all seperated by asphalt. He wanted 3 TVs in the house, 2 in the guesthouse and 1 in the garage with 2 stipulations: no drilling new holes and no DVRs. We built an account with 6 Wallys and a dish on each building. 1 Wally to a D1000.2 on the garage went smooth, 2 Wallys through a 2-way stacked splitter and a hybrid worked perfectly in the guest house. We added a power inserter for the 3 Wallys in the house and a 4-way stacked splitter. The Wally on the power-passing port works great but the other 2 work erratically or, at times, not at all. We have tested all lines, verified all 3 recievers by trying each one on the power port, swapped the Hybrid LNBF, splitters, power inserter and even tried it without the inserter like the 2 TV set-up in the guest house with no luck. We even swapped out 1 of the Wallys that seemed to have a little trouble getting a good check switch test. Over 2 weeks of call-backs the customer has had good TV in the living room but TV Russian Roulette elsewhere. Interestingly, the 2nd and 3rd TVs work slightly better when we sub the Channel Stack Dish splitter with a DTV SWM splitter.
I read on another thread that, in this configuration, each Wally has to be set-up individually starting with the 1 on the power port. I don't think we did the guesthouse that way but if this is a cast-in-stone rule, do the Wallys have to be reset to factory settings before starting over? Any insights will be greatly appreciated.

If using channel stack splitters you should be using a dpp lnb with a 42 switch and power inserter going to port 1.

I know ppl talk about using wallys direct on a hybrid lnb and even splitting it but it's not approved for a reason lol.
Not according to the diagram

1697973500426.png

Not according to the diagram

View attachment 166034
I have done MDU & Residential Wally networks in the past with 42 Switches and with Hybrids, with and without Power inserters including the Guest house on this property. This is the first "catastrophic" failure! If no better ideas emerge, we'll try a 42 switch outside and if that fixes it I'll eat my Sat Buddy.

BTW, we did this exact configuration AND tried it with the inserter on the other side of the splitter powering the LNBF directly as in a traditional MDU set-up. In either case only the Wally on the power-passing port operated correctly.
Im sure you've tried it but have you tried a new splitter and lnb and even power inserter?

Reactions: charlesrshell
We have a new, high-end Dish subscriber with a main house, guesthouse and garage, all brick and all seperated by asphalt. He wanted 3 TVs in the house, 2 in the guesthouse and 1 in the garage with 2 stipulations: no drilling new holes and no DVRs. We built an account with 6 Wallys and a dish on each building. 1 Wally to a D1000.2 on the garage went smooth, 2 Wallys through a 2-way stacked splitter and a hybrid worked perfectly in the guest house. We added a power inserter for the 3 Wallys in the house and a 4-way stacked splitter. The Wally on the power-passing port works great but the other 2 work erratically or, at times, not at all. We have tested all lines, verified all 3 recievers by trying each one on the power port, swapped the Hybrid LNBF, splitters, power inserter and even tried it without the inserter like the 2 TV set-up in the guest house with no luck. We even swapped out 1 of the Wallys that seemed to have a little trouble getting a good check switch test. Over 2 weeks of call-backs the customer has had good TV in the living room but TV Russian Roulette elsewhere. Interestingly, the 2nd and 3rd TVs work slightly better when we sub the Channel Stack Dish splitter with a DTV SWM splitter.
I read on another thread that, in this configuration, each Wally has to be set-up individually starting with the 1 on the power port. I don't think we did the guesthouse that way but if this is a cast-in-stone rule, do the Wallys have to be reset to factory settings before starting over? Any insights will be greatly appreciated.
Just checking for any last-minute ideas. This customer worked with us for nearly 2 months to try to get this resolved; many "fixes" changed the way it worked for better or worse but none corrected operation completely. Currently, 2 locations will work for 2 or 3 hours at a time as long as they are both on (not in standby). So, barring a last-second solution, today we will pull the Wallys and re-install his Spectrum equipment.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Just checking for any last-minute ideas. This customer worked with us for nearly 2 months to try to get this resolved; many "fixes" changed the way it worked for better or worse but none corrected operation completely. Currently, 2 locations will work for 2 or 3 hours at a time as long as they are both on (not in standby). So, barring a last-second solution, today we will pull the Wallys and re-install his Spectrum equipment.
THX to anyone who offered ideas; this saga has ended and the main house is back on cable.