Wally Upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MR2NR

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
In your Hotwheels BIN
I have 7 TVs Using a 922 2 722's and 2 211's I am wanting to upgrade to the Wally w/EHDs to get around the DVR fees. I have all ready paid the one time 40$ EHD fee. I own the 922 but don't really care about the 722's or 211's The phone rep said Wally's wont work with a 922 but would with the 722's? Because the 922 was older than the 722's lol. I told him to send 2 Wallys to replace the 211's to start. Anyone else have a 922 and Wally Combo? BTW will be using .2 EA dish's using three dish's with RV's :). Would a DPP 44 and two dish's give me any issues if I went that route?

Wally is the direct replacement for the 211.

Only difference, Wally has 2 Sat tuners and no OTA tuner built in.

Just as the 211 is ignorant of the presence of the 922 and vice versa, same with the Wally

You won't lose the DVR fees unless you replace the 922 and the 722's with Wallys across the board.

Of course most of the Wallys will have to be purchased - not absolutely sure what the leased receiver limit is now days.

I think the DP44 would be OK, you could even go with one dish and daisy chain 3 or 4 DP44's - IIRC each one has 3 or 4 outputs, however many you need.

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay
The rep just logged them as purchased Wally's Ya I understand it will have to be total Wally to get out from DVR fees just thought it was funny he said they wouldn't work together.

I’d expect ViP922 units to be the next boxes to be withdrawn from service. There are so few in the wild.

Dish may be well along in preparing to shift to HEVC to gain bandwidth. But THAT will be many years in the making, and a Hopper 4 (or whatever) is yet to appear to support it.

.... Or an optical output, which just boggles my mind

You want a stripped down, minimal box, you GET a stripped down, minimal box.

Why should Dish spend a buck to include a feature very few would use on their entry level box? Besides, one more feature to encourage moving to a higher level. $

You want a stripped down, minimal box, you GET a stripped down, minimal box.

Why should Dish spend a buck to include a feature very few would use on their entry level box? Besides, one more feature to encourage moving to a higher level. $
I wouldn't necessarily call a Wally entry level. Built in WiFi adapter, apps, On Demand, dual tuners, CUI enhanced search features with voice controlled remotes et al makes it a far cry from a 211, or a 301, 311,....

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have 7 TVs Using a 922 2 722's and 2 211's I am wanting to upgrade to the Wally w/EHDs to get around the DVR fees. I have all ready paid the one time 40$ EHD fee. I own the 922 but don't really care about the 722's or 211's The phone rep said Wally's wont work with a 922 but would with the 722's? Because the 922 was older than the 722's lol. I told him to send 2 Wallys to replace the 211's to start. Anyone else have a 922 and Wally Combo? BTW will be using .2 EA dish's using three dish's with RV's :). Would a DPP 44 and two dish's give me any issues if I went that route?
I don't have a 922, but I do have a DPP44 switch connected to two Wallys and two 512's (yes, 512's :eeek ) and they all work just fine. (The 512's are deactivated, and they still work for free preview channels and playing existing recordings.) I don't think the 922 would be any problem.

I’d expect ViP922 units to be the next boxes to be withdrawn from service. There are so few in the wild.

Dish may be well along in preparing to shift to HEVC to gain bandwidth. But THAT will be many years in the making, and a Hopper 4 (or whatever) is yet to appear to support it.
I am pretty sure that the Wally and the Hopper Duo already support HEVC.

I wouldn't necessarily call a Wally entry level. Built in WiFi adapter, apps, On Demand, dual tuners, CUI enhanced search features with voice controlled remotes et al makes it a far cry from a 211, or a 301, 311,....
The WiFi is not built into the Wally. It requires a separate USB adapter for WiFi. On everything else, you are absolutely correct! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)