Wally wants to reformat my EHD

jpmarto

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
This will be the 5th or 6th EHD Dish has trashed for me, but the first on the ViP211z/Wally platform. Fortunately, nothing on it is important to me. The drive in question is 500GB, 2.5", and not self-powered. It has been used as a Dish EHD for 3 or 4 years and was working flawlessly until it wasn't. It died in my RV while I was away for several days with a few timed recordings scheduled.

Has there been a recent update that might be to blame, or should I just suck it up and reformat it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

joewhite57

joewhite57

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 7, 2009
Indiana
I’ve always taken the advice of others here on SatelliteGuys. Even though a non powered drive will work and maybe for many years, your still putting a lot of extra load on basically a motherboard. Even a 2.5” laptop drive is a good load.

Bobby

Bobby

Publican
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Rohnert Park, CA
I’ve always taken the advice of others here on SatelliteGuys. Even though a non powered drive will work and maybe for many years, your still putting a lot of extra load on basically a motherboard. Even a 2.5” laptop drive is a good load.
and one of the other pieces off advice from here is to use a powered hub, they are cheap, and you have effectively powered that USB EHD...

jpmarto

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
Thanks for the advice! I think I have a powered hub laying around so I'll look for it and hook it up.

Reactions: TheKrell
jpmarto

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
Interesting, I don't remember saying 'yes' to reformatting the drive, but when I went to install the hub it was already re-formatted. It showed no recordings, but 21% of the disk in use. I cleared out the drive in Windows DiskManager, and after the Wally reformatted it, it now shows 1% in use.

The only thing I know that would render an EHD unrecognizable would be a corrupt MBR, and I'm having a hard time understanding why low power would cause the Dish receiver to write to that part of the HD.

Last edited: