Wally wants to reformat my EHD

jpmarto

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 26, 2007
E. of Seattle
This will be the 5th or 6th EHD Dish has trashed for me, but the first on the ViP211z/Wally platform. Fortunately, nothing on it is important to me. The drive in question is 500GB, 2.5", and not self-powered. It has been used as a Dish EHD for 3 or 4 years and was working flawlessly until it wasn't. It died in my RV while I was away for several days with a few timed recordings scheduled.

Has there been a recent update that might be to blame, or should I just suck it up and reformat it?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I’ve always taken the advice of others here on SatelliteGuys. Even though a non powered drive will work and maybe for many years, your still putting a lot of extra load on basically a motherboard. Even a 2.5” laptop drive is a good load.

I’ve always taken the advice of others here on SatelliteGuys. Even though a non powered drive will work and maybe for many years, your still putting a lot of extra load on basically a motherboard. Even a 2.5” laptop drive is a good load.
and one of the other pieces off advice from here is to use a powered hub, they are cheap, and you have effectively powered that USB EHD...

Interesting, I don't remember saying 'yes' to reformatting the drive, but when I went to install the hub it was already re-formatted. It showed no recordings, but 21% of the disk in use. I cleared out the drive in Windows DiskManager, and after the Wally reformatted it, it now shows 1% in use.

The only thing I know that would render an EHD unrecognizable would be a corrupt MBR, and I'm having a hard time understanding why low power would cause the Dish receiver to write to that part of the HD.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts