want to sign up with dish, but have 2 questions...

one028

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
southeast michigan
1. my comcast analog channels look like complete crap (fuzzy, grainy), mostly the lower channels, 2,4,7. digital channels look ok, hd channels very good. if i switch to dish, since all channels are digital will they look good, or better than comcast analog channels?

2. i need an outdoor ota antenna to get local hdtv. i live 30 miles from my local channel stations. the installer is installing a channel master 3677a for $159. is that a decent antenna for the distance i have to cover with the antenna. anyone have this antenna? this is the main concern i have on switching. i dont want to have to worry about getting good signal with the ota antenna when watching local hdtv.

1) What you're probably getting on the low-number channels is ghosting or bleeding from the OTA signal into the cable company's signal. This is actually a fault of your TV's tuner in most cases. The reason is goes away with digital cable is you're no longer using the TV's tuner. The same would (should) apply to satellite.

hall said:
1) This is actually a fault of your TV's tuner in most cases. The reason is goes away with digital cable is you're no longer using the TV's tuner. The same would (should) apply to satellite.

That's not entirely accurate. Comcast in my area passes the analog channels, such as locals, straight through as analog. They look like crap, even with a "digital" box. The TV tuner doesn't enter the picture.

To the one028, it is likely that your Dish locals will also look crappy due to the over-compression that Dish uses to jam a bazillion gazillion local channels on their limited bandwidth. It's just a different kind of crap. Smells a little a different, but just as unpleasant.

Channel Master 3677a is rated for fringe UHF and Surbaban VHF so it is definitely adequate for 30 miles. If your going with HDTV stay with your cable company DISH 811 and 921 will leave you loving the cable company for quality of service. If you go with Directv you will have to pay for the receiver but you will get a receiver that works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)