Wanting Dish but possible problem

Fiah

Original poster
Dec 31, 2005
I am wanting to get Dish here at my apartment but I am having a small problem. I can only put a dish on my balcony because I am not paying the $200 to let the apt let me mount a dish outside my common area. So I have planned to do a tripod mount on my balcony.

I have attached a picture from my satfinder app (E* 119). It looks borderline as far as the elevation goes because the awning part that comes out pretty far.

I just wanted to see if I could get an opinion from the experts here and see if I should go ahead and try. I plan on buying my own equipment and doing a flex account.

Thanks

Attachments

• satfinderapt.jpg
    satfinderapt.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 237
From what elevation was that picture taken?

The dish can be mounted very close to the floor of your balcony with a pole set in a 5 gal plastic bucket full of cement.

I have even heard of dishes mounted at floor level by inverting the dish with a custom mount about 6-12 inches off the floor.

Jim5506 is correct, but from the one picture there is no way to tell for sure if it will work unless we were to have a tech on site to make that determination. Were you planning on doing an installation yourself?

I'm on the second (top) floor. I like the cement in a bucket idea rather than a tripod. I would just need it as close to the railing as possible so I could clear the roof overhang enough.

Jim5506 is correct, but from the one picture there is no way to tell for sure if it will work unless we were to have a tech on site to make that determination. Were you planning on doing an installation yourself?

Hi Raymond, thanks for the reply. I do plan on doing the install myself since I want to do a pre-paid account (flex) so I may have to just take the risk and try it.

empiretc said:
What kind of balcony is it? Does it have railing?

It's a regular wood balcony with a metal rail. The metal railing isn't the most stable if you pull on it a little its a bit loose so it may not be stable enough unless i can think of a way to stabilize it.

the lower the better in your case but since it will be lower you might be able to pull it back but giving the photo you might not have 110 that has some locals HD and programing from movie pkg and 200+ pkgs EKB: Dish Network Channels at 110° has the list of chan from every dish bird

I went to a job 4 years ago that customer could only speak Russian and hir son called us after 3 techs say no way. Job could not go on the roof and only in the patio that was facing south but was 5'X5' with a 5' wood fence and only 2' space of sky untill the second floor patio. Took me 6min to find a sweet spot with a 300 dish and get my measurements for the final install of the 500+ dish. Thank god for Dishpointer now days.

the lower the better in your case but since it will be lower you might be able to pull it back but giving the photo you might not have 110 that has some locals HD and programing from movie pkg and 200+ pkgs EKB: Dish Network Channels at 110° has the list of chan from every dish bird

I went to a job 4 years ago that customer could only speak Russian and hir son called us after 3 techs say no way. Job could not go on the roof and only in the patio that was facing south but was 5'X5' with a 5' wood fence and only 2' space of sky untill the second floor patio. Took me 6min to find a sweet spot with a 300 dish and get my measurements for the final install of the 500+ dish. Thank god for Dishpointer now days.

I think you are right rocket, I checked 110 and its a bit higher and left so my awning looks like it will block that signal unless i get very lucky.

That is pretty cool that you were able to get them setup in that difficult spot. When you used dishpointer on their patio, did it show the signal being blocked by something?

It's a regular wood balcony with a metal rail. The metal railing isn't the most stable if you pull on it a little its a bit loose so it may not be stable enough unless i can think of a way to stabilize it.

It could be worth a shot. Bolt the dish on the railing into a 2x6, this way it will hang off the side giving it more clearance. As long as it is stable, and no one gives you grief, it should be ok.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts