wasn't welcome and family discontinued????

BengalsFan24

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2006
:confused: long story short is that we watch a lot of hockey and with nhl season coming back up (ci was on my bill) we drop to smaller package. last year we went from 250 to 100 but we have been doing a lot of itunes and netflix and never went back to 250. we decided to go with the cincy locals only and keep the center ice package as most of what we watch is locals and nhl net. i spoke to a csr about it on chat and had to tell them several times i wanted to cancel my basic package at least for the time being. after they got me with someone in retention they offered me the welcome pack or family pack as a way to "keep a base package". the search here tells me it is gone. do they know what they are talking about / is it legit?

It's not unusual for a company to offer a little known package or even one that doesn't really exist other than special cases. It very well may be legit.

You are asking the wrong question however. (lol) You have to ask will they really follow through and give it to you?

Tampa8 said:
It's not unusual for a company to offer a little known package or even one that doesn't really exist other than special cases. It very well may be legit.

You are asking the wrong question however. (lol) You have to ask will they really follow through and give it to you?

Excellent point. Perhaps you should have taken them up on the offer then. I read on another board that, apparently, some were being offered the Family Pack. I'm a locals, Encore, NHL and Distant guy myself (and ITunes). The bottom line is that they just need customers in this economy. So as a retention tool... Yeah, it's possible. Although my guess is that Family is more likely.

BengalsFan24 said:
:confused: long story short is that we watch a lot of hockey and with nhl season coming back up (ci was on my bill) we drop to smaller package. last year we went from 250 to 100 but we have been doing a lot of itunes and netflix and never went back to 250. we decided to go with the cincy locals only and keep the center ice package as most of what we watch is locals and nhl net. i spoke to a csr about it on chat and had to tell them several times i wanted to cancel my basic package at least for the time being. after they got me with someone in retention they offered me the welcome pack or family pack as a way to "keep a base package". the search here tells me it is gone. do they know what they are talking about / is it legit?

I'm responding to the PM here (I'm on an iPhone). Yes... You CAN subscribe to a premium with locals only.

I was surprised too when I called end of July to get just locals. I had cancelled Dish in Feburary due to the economy. When I called in July, I explained to the CSR since they don't offer Welcome Pack or even Family Pack, at least locals would be something to watch. The CSR was like, we still offer both Welcome and Family. No problem.

So I got the Welcome pack with locals for $14.99/month. Great package. Little cost. Yay!!

curlers said:
I was surprised too when I called end of July to get just locals. I had cancelled Dish in Feburary due to the economy. When I called in July, I explained to the CSR since they don't offer Welcome Pack or even Family Pack, at least locals would be something to watch. The CSR was like, we still offer both Welcome and Family. No problem.

So I got the Welcome pack with locals for $14.99/month. Great package. Little cost. Yay!!

Officially, they announced it would no longer be offered this past January. I saw on another page where someone got it in August. For someone on a budget it is a nice selection.

what are the prices of the family pack? Does anyone still have a list of channels on the welcome pack?

From what I understand, Locals + Welcome Pack is as follows [I could be wrong, but this is what I believe is right.]:

LOCALS ($5.00--$9.99 without welcome pack):

Varies by location

WELCOME PACK ($9.99):

84 HSN
85 SRN
86 Jewelry Television
107 Comedy Central
110 Food Network
111 DIY
112 HGTV
120 History
127 Oxygen
128 WE Tv
130 AMC
137 QVC
139 TBS
161 MTV 2
166 CMT
175 Boomerang
179 The Hub (previously Discovery Kids)
183 TLC
185 Hallmark
203 Bloomberg
209 Msnbc
214 The Weather Channel
222 Home Shopping Network
228 Shop NBC

Therefore, $9.99 + $5.00 =$14.99 subtotal

Then, if you want, you could add the Encore Movie pack for $5.00:
[Just a suggestion...]

Encore Pack ($5.00--does not include Encore East and Encore WAM):

341 Encore West
342 Encore Westerns
343 Encore Action
344 Encore Mystery
345 Encore Drama
346 Encore Love

You might by able to get the following public interest channels for no additional cost:
9393 Three Angels Broadcasting Network
9413 Alma Vision Hispanic Network
9403 BYUTV
267 Christian TV Network
9406 Classic Arts Showcase
210 C-SPAN
261 EWTN
9418 Florida Education Channel
9415 Free Speech TV
9402 Health & Human Services
843 HITN
264 Kids & Teens TV
9410 LinkTV
212 NASA
9405 Pentagon Channel
260 TBN
9411 University House
9412 University of California TV
9414 V-me

Therefore, if you add the Encore Movie Pack, $9.99 + $5.00 + $5.00 = $19.99 subtotal

A pretty cheap package for these tough times.....
Does anyone know how a new customer would manage to start off with this? I am just curious.....I know of some people who are not big TV watchers and a package like this would probably meet their needs....

By the way, Dish Family (which I believe is $24.99) is still on the channel lineup guide located here: http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/Channel-Lineup/StandardHDChannelGuide.pdf

Read a little further down, it also says "for existing Dish network customers".

So, does it mean it's available for all Dish customers or only those that currently are subscribing to that package?

Good point. I am not sure. I even think Charlie mentioned the Family package after it was supposed to be gone. I really thought it was supposed to be gone along with the Welcome Pack. Others are saying it really is not true. It is really tough to tell......maybe luck of the CSR.......

Before I went with OTA/Internet I called about the family pack and was told I could no longer get it. I tried calling/chating several times to no avail. I called DTV and was told they no longer list their family pack on the website, but to call and I could get it. Dish had a MUCH better selection than DTV. The one dish rep on the phone said it would most likely return in the future.

I was offered both today (i just asked what the lowest price packs were). After christmastime we were going to drop dish altogether and just go it OTA with Roku/netflix/Amazon/Hulu.

ETF is $15 a month. Welcome pack with locals is $15 a month. HMMMMM. No brainer here. My only question is wil the locals still be in HD? I have Dish America right now and wouldn't be gettign rid of my HD box. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

I just switched this week from Welcome Pack to Top 200 and was told emphatically that I could switch back to Welcome Pack at anytime - no problem. I hope that's true 2 years from now.

About 3 weeks ago, we switched from the top 200 to the welcome pack. So trust me, it's still available. ...and according to dishnetwork.com, HD for life is still activated on my account, so if I switched back, I'd still get the HD for free.

I was offered both today (i just asked what the lowest price packs were). After christmastime we were going to drop dish altogether and just go it OTA with Roku/netflix/Amazon/Hulu.

ETF is $15 a month. Welcome pack with locals is $15 a month. HMMMMM. No brainer here. My only question is wil the locals still be in HD? I have Dish America right now and wouldn't be gettign rid of my HD box. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

I can answer that. You will get HD locals with the Welcome pack if you have them in your area. My aunt has the Welcome pack with Ft.Smith ,Arkansas locals in hd. I just installed her 1000.2 sat dish last May and she was happy to get hd networks.

Can anyone confirm that Hallmark, CSTV, TVLand and Nick are still a part of the Family pack?

Thanks

joebcapecod said:
I just switched this week from Welcome Pack to Top 200 and was told emphatically that I could switch back to Welcome Pack at anytime - no problem. I hope that's true 2 years from now.

Best wishes with that. They change policy all the time and, in many instances, it depends on the CSR you talk / chat with. I have always had locals, Encore and NHL. I called to check about the Welcome Pack (in specific) and got the package after some discussion. However, I was told that once I dropped it I could not go back. (No plans on that, though).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts