Watch recorded local channels AFTER dropping those channels?

theLaneNest

Original poster
Sep 8, 2012
WA
I added the network channels to record the Olympics on NBC. I've still got a number of the shows to catch up on but would like to kill the networks (I don't really watch them otherwise so don't want to pay the extra $12 for them). Would the shows that have already been recorded on those channels remain and be watchable? Thanks.

Yes. It's no different than having free preview week and binge recording. I'm like you I find the network programming least watched and only turn on for certain sporting events. March madness and upcoming Masters on CBS you may consider coming up.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Yes. It's no different than having free preview week and binge recording. I'm like you I find the network programming least watched and only turn on for certain sporting events. March madness and upcoming Masters on CBS you may consider coming up.
Depending on the receiver, free preview recordings are not able to be viewed after the “subscription” is over.

Depending on the receiver, free preview recordings are not able to be viewed after the “subscription” is over.

Really. First I've heard of that. What do they do delete it off hard drive somehow? These arn't VOD shows but recorded onto harddrive.

It’s been on this site, their in house site, and Facebook for quite some time. Largely it’s the CUI, but I have seen the complaints more frequent with the H3 over the H1-2

IIRC, they show up on my H3 as locked, all I have to do is type in the unlock code and play them.

Never has this happen to me. I binge record movies when premiums are in free preview and they haven’t disappeard. If they do, I’m just about done with Dish. That’s BS.

Consider it like a library book. They loan you the book, you don't get to keep it. You want to keep the book, buy it!

DBS has been around for what, 20 years, and they just now want to start adopting this practice? I’m not a fan of freebies and handouts (if you have read my posts in the past you know this). However, if the DVR has behaved in a certain way for quite some time, and a customer purchases it with the expectation that this is the way it will work, then you can expect consternation from customers when that changes willy nilly.

Directv prevents Fast Forwarding on certain broadcasts DVRd... changes do happen, and with time. Usually as a result of DRM.

Directv prevents Fast Forwarding on certain broadcasts DVRd... changes do happen, and with time. Usually as a result of DRM.

Fair enough. All I’m saying is, if all of a sudden half the recordings on my DVR stop working because I change packages, or they restrict a movie I recorded a year ago that worked fine until today, then they have lost me. To me, my DVR is my go-to catalogue for movies. If they want to adopt this practice GOING FORWARD, that is fine. But retroactively locking content previously recorded will piss lots of people off. Not just me.

Fair enough. All I’m saying is, if all of a sudden half the recordings on my DVR stop working because I change packages, or they restrict a movie I recorded a year ago that worked fine until today, then they have lost me. To me, my DVR is my go-to catalogue for movies. If they want to adopt this practice GOING FORWARD, that is fine. But retroactively locking content previously recorded will piss lots of people off. Not just me.
THEY don't want to do it, the content owners do. DBS and cable operators have fought it for years, but I'm guessing little things sneak in as concessions during contract renewal talks.

The one that immediately comes to mind is SiriusXM recently disabling DVR functions on their music channels.

Reactions: TheKrell and KAB
What unlock code?
I have channels I'm not interested in locked out and had to enter a password in order to do that.

Channels/recordings that are either locked by not being currently subscribed to or fall outside the accepted ratings settings, etc. must be viewed by entering the unlock code that I put in the system.

If you do not have a system lock set the recordings will play with no added input.

I have never had problems with free preview movies. I also dropped a level and old rerecords are working great. I do HBO on again then off for a while no problems there either. Never tried recording Sirius XM interesting to know. I also didn't know about DirectTV disabling fast forwarding for some recordings.
Another thing Dish does that they probably shouldn't is their Anywhere app always works for me no matter what country I am in when traveling. Another reason I loved Dish as I heard other providers disable that as I believe they are required to do much like streaming services.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)