Weber Smokey Mountain

Where do you guys get your smoke wood from?

The local big box stores tend to only sell the basic kinds (Hickory and Mesquite).

I'm looking for some Apple, Cherry and others.

Anyone with recommendations?

Zagara's on wilson mills sells both apple and cherry CHIPS.....don't know if you need chunks.

Well, BBQ Galore used to sell various flavors in chips and chunks. Bankrupt now. Expensive by mail. I plan to keep my eyes open as I travel around and if I see some local wood for sale, grab it.

Well, here is my bacon. I think it turned out pretty well for my first attempt.

Attachments

• BuckboardBacon1.JPG
    BuckboardBacon1.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 138
  • BuckboardBacon2.jpg
    BuckboardBacon2.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 143
  • BuckboardBacon3.JPG
    BuckboardBacon3.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 198
Sundays Smoke

Bought a couple of Corned Beef flats and made pastrami. While the where smoking made up some ABTs, and threw them on after I pulled the pastrami. For the ABTs I used cream cheese, shredded 4 cheese maxican cheese, and chopped up left over pulled pork. Loaded up the peppers after I halved, removed the seeds, and most of the white stuff. After I put in the mix, I sprinkled them with Texas BBQ rub then wrapped in Bacon. On the smoker for about 2 hrs at 250. I had to make myself stop eating them.

Attachments

• IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1296.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_1297.jpg
    IMG_1297.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    297.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_1299.jpg
    IMG_1299.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Bought a couple of Corned Beef flats and made pastrami. While the where smoking made up some ABTs, and threw them on after I pulled the pastrami. For the ABTs I used cream cheese, shredded 4 cheese maxican cheese, and chopped up left over pulled pork. Loaded up the peppers after I halved, removed the seeds, and most of the white stuff. After I put in the mix, I sprinkled them with Texas BBQ rub then wrapped in Bacon. On the smoker for about 2 hrs at 250. I had to make myself stop eating them.

What does ABT's stand for? Those look awesome btw! Great idea.

The pastrami turned out equally well. My mouth is salivating looking at those pics. Good job!

Well, here is my bacon. I think it turned out pretty well for my first attempt.

The recipe over at WSM refers to using 2 butts and half the Buckboard Bacon package. Did you do just one, and use 1/4 the pkg? I'm considering doing that.

And if you had some left over, did you freeze it whole, in chunks or as bacon? I think the WSM author is suggesting that it might not freeze well for use as bacon in the future- which is something I am considering doing.

Any folks ready to share their experience with Buckboard Bacon?

Our main Thanksgiving meal will be on Friday this year. So I'm planning on making the B Bacon on Thursday. Still haven't settled on what, besides a traditional, non-smoked, turkey to serve. I've had a specific request for that turkey. Might make two- one smoked, one not. And cornish game hens. Had to drop any pork or ham due to a guest with allergies. Maybe lamb.

The recipe over at WSM refers to using 2 butts and half the Buckboard Bacon package. Did you do just one, and use 1/4 the pkg? I'm considering doing that.

And if you had some left over, did you freeze it whole, in chunks or as bacon? I think the WSM author is suggesting that it might not freeze well for use as bacon in the future- which is something I am considering doing.

Our main Thanksgiving meal will be on Friday this year. So I'm planning on making the B Bacon on Thursday. Still haven't settled on what, besides a traditional, non-smoked, turkey to serve. I've had a specific request for that turkey. Might make two- one smoked, one not. And cornish game hens. Had to drop any pork or ham due to a guest with allergies. Maybe lamb.

Hey Navy. Check out my post #19 on this thread. I made some from a small 4-5# butt. I used the cure to the tee that the recipe calls for that came with the cure from Hi-Moutain. Turned out awsome. Let me know if I can help with any more questions.

Yeah, I just used a little bit of the cure since I just did one butt. I only wanted to do one the first time. I kept enough out for one weekend and I vacuum sealed and froze the rest in 8 slice packages. Im sure it will be fine after thawing. I will report back when I do.

If it freezes well (I dont know why it wouldnt), I will probably do a several pork butts next time, slice it up, vac it and freeze it. Im also going to make my own cure next time. With shipping, the Hi Mountain stuff is pretty pricey.

I made some ABT's for a Halloween Party I went to on Saturday night. Thanks for the idea Stimpson. This was the perfect dish to use up the pulled pork I had frozen from my last smoke. I also already had cream cheese and bacon on hand, so the only ingredient I need from the store were the jalapenos.

I had my wife half and core the peppers while I started the smoker. Only bit of advise would be to use latex gloves when doing this. She complained her fingers were burning the rest of the night from the peppers!

I also could've been more generous with the pork/cheese mixture when stuffing the peppers as they shrink up pretty good after cooking. To my surprise, the peppers weren't that spicy after smoking either.

This is an easy dish to make and cook, but the steps are a bit tedious if you have a lot of peppers. I didn't mind at all once I tasted the final product though. Turned out great! I made my neighbor up a plate and he came over that night to tell me how great they were and wanted the recipe. They were also a big hit at the party. It was the only plate that was finished by the end of the night! (So much food there.)

Some recipes suggest using skewers or toothpicks to bind, but I figured I'd take the chance on smoking them without any binders. To me, the regular sliced bacon seemed to wrap tightly enough to keep in place. Anyways, they tuned out perfect and didn't come apart or anything. I cooked for apx. 2 hours at 250°F as Stimpson suggested.

I didn't have time to take a picture of the finished product as I was rushing out the door, but I do have some preliminary pics.......

Attachments

• Picture 044.jpg
    Picture 044.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Picture 047.jpg
    Picture 047.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 134
Hey Navy. Check out my post #19 on this thread. I made some from a small 4-5# butt. I used the cure to the tee that the recipe calls for that came with the cure from Hi-Moutain. Turned out awsome. Let me know if I can help with any more questions.

Thank you. I remembered there were posts earlier, but did not find yours when I backtracked looking. Going too fast, I guess.

I think I'll do a single 8 lb butt, before trimming. Move it from the freezer to the fridge to thaw on the 13th, prep it on the 16th, flip it on the 21st, rinse on the 26th, cook it on the 27th, eat it on the 28th. I'm looking at "Playing" and "WSM" for guidance.

My order from Hi Mountain is due in Wednesday. I'm trying some of their other products as well. Not cheap, but then, I don't think I'll be doing this too often.

I'll probably use apple chunks (or chips if I'm out of chunks) and maybe apple juice in with water in the water pan. For a future batch I might use cherry wood. Which wood do you think works best with this recipe?

Slow and low smokin is the best way to do bacon. The fall and winter is the best time to do bacon. With the cool/cold ambiant temps, it's much easier to keep the temps low. Fruit wood will do great. I used 2 small chunks Hickory for my first batch, and it turned out very good. You don't want to use a lot. Next batch will be cherry and apple. Good luck with it!!! Keep us posted.

Hungry??

ABTs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts