Weight overheating.

kukblue1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 21, 2008
I have a small entertainment center and a vip722. I have maybe an inch on each side for air and that's about it. If it's on for a while the top of it gets pretty hot. My only other option is to sit my 42in tv on top of it but it weights 70 pounds. The edge of the tv base would hang over a bit but airflow would be better. Would that be too heavy to sit on top of the vip 722. I could maybe sit a fan in the entertainment center but I tried that once and either forgot to turn it on or forgot to turn it off.

You need to get the 722 OUT of the HOT BOX....remove it from your EC, otherwise it's dead meat. Don't even think about what you are thinking about...putting the TV on top of it. These receivers need LOT of ventilation/air circulation. GET IT OUT OF THERE!!!!!

I have to agree with KAB. Get some airflow into and out of the louvers on the sides.

It's open in the front and back. I can sit a small fan on top of it would that work? I really have no other place to put it. I'm actually getting a new one. The hard drive crashed. Not sure if it was from overheating or the fact that I have had it for a little over fours years and two moves.

The airflow is sideways on these receivers, with front, back, bottom, and top (relatively) unimportant. Overheating typically kills the internal disk.

I think you are going to have to find another place for this receiver. I put my 722 in a basement equipment room on a completely open shelf, and feed my HDTV on the main level from a 30' HDMI cable. This has worked well for many years.

I'll see what i can do. I currently have a good foot above it and like I said open in back and open in front (no door covers). I just only have an inch of room on either side and that is where the vents seem to be.I have a small fan on top that I can blow air onto the sides and it really seems to cool it down. I might be able to turn it a little sideways. Is it common for the hard drive to go out after 4 years on these. I was having problems before i put it back in this entertainment center and it's other location was wide open. Problems being that if I had to plug it back it after it froze or something it wouldn't turn back on. The wifi adapter has to keep being reset everyday. This has been going on for about a year now.

Another option is to get a laptop cooling pad that blows air up. and hang the back of the receiver out the back of the ec. I got one at Staples for under $30. Currently my 722's temps are 126/96/111 (max/min/avg) and it does sit insife an ec.

OK and what range should I be shooting for. Right now I'm High 138 low 87 average 125. This is no fan running on top of it. I'll turn that on wait a while and post what I get.

What's the average. If you are properly ventilated, the high will gradually move down. 138 is high. I had a 722 sghut down when it hit 145. We had just come home from a vacation in summer. The house was hot and the 722 was right over my avr. A perfect storm. Once the house cooled and moved the 722, it returned to normal operation.

Putting a fan on the bottom or the top of the receiver wouldn't help you very much if you have only an inch space on each side of the receiver. You need to suck the hot air from the rear left corner of the receiver. If you do try any kind of a fan, it has to run continuously, these receivers consume almost the same power whether they are on or off. BTW, this receiver will shut down when the High temp hits 140°.

Read this post http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-te...age-622-722-temperature-thread-yours-104.html (only 104 pages :)), you will learn everything there is to know about these receivers overheating.

Well I'm using the one with a bad hard drive so it may not be right since the hard drive is not working. Temp isn't moving and hasn't changed. The new one dish sent me just came and I will hook it up tomorrow and take reading with fan and without. I just want to make sure that overheating didn't cause this hard drive to fail or the fact that it was over 4 years old with heavy use. I know my computer hard drives both crashed at the 4 and 5 year mark.

Keep in mind that the temps reported on Menu-6-3 take a while to update. They are 2-week or longer running historical temps. Even if you properly ventilate with a fan, it will take days for the high/average numbers to come down, and gradually.

Well I'm using the one with a bad hard drive so it may not be right since the hard drive is not working. Temp isn't moving and hasn't changed. The new one dish sent me just came and I will hook it up tomorrow and take reading with fan and without. I just want to make sure that overheating didn't cause this hard drive to fail or the fact that it was over 4 years old with heavy use. I know my computer hard drives both crashed at the 4 and 5 year mark.
Heat is the number one killer of any electronic component. FYI, the HD is not the hottest component in this receiver or in any other computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts