Well if this isn't false advertising...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The only way the Anolog cut off will cause grief to cable customers is if the cable company is too cheap to by digital recievers for the local OTA stations, which could be the case here where I live :)

Because ANALOGE CABLE TV is not going to cease braudcasting in febuary 2009.

There fore it is still false advertising as, in febuary 2009 I still can call comcast and order ANALOGE CABLE TV Services and the DTV transition has NOTHING to do with the ANALOGE CABLE TV FEED that comcast or any other provider puts out.

Perhaps in your area you can, but the majority of the nation's Cable broadcasts are going digital. The goal is to free up analog airwaves. So are you saying the cable companies are taking a digital signal and converting it to an analog signal? I respectfully disagree; there is no false advertising in that flyer. The goal is to move to a digital spectrum.

Majority? Nope.

First, you must have missed the part about the FCC requiring a certain amount of channels on an analog tier.

Second, I only know of a few markets where they're trying to transition to digital for most cable channels.

Stopping analog cable doesn't free up any airwaves...because cable is not over-the-air, the signal travels through the cable! So they cable companies can do it however they like.

... So are you saying the cable companies are taking a digital signal and converting it to an analog signal? I respectfully disagree; there is no false advertising in that flyer. The goal is to move to a digital spectrum.

Yes, they've been doing it for years... Take channels such as Court TV, FX, and most of the Discovery suite. For years these channels have been digital C-Band (I know because I used to use one w/ a 4DTV) and they are received digitally & fed into analog modulators, via the Composite video out of the satellite tuners. Also CATV is not "over the air" as many have already stated. Even the digital cable signals are still within the VHF band (standard CATV carriers) but digital signals...

So, as far as CATV goes, analog or digital, the frequencies or the same. The only thing you gain is a group of channels on one carrier as opposed to 1....

Also, you can rest assured that analog channel 3 is going to be around for a long, long, long, time, not OTA, but in full existance... How do you think most CATV customers get the signal, analog or digital, to their TV sets? I've worked in CATV, OTA, and satellite businesses for years and have yet to see a CATV signal w/ good enough quality for composite video, much less S-Vid or, dare I say, HDMI....

Last edited:
Majority? Nope.

First, you must have missed the part about the FCC requiring a certain amount of channels on an analog tier.

Second, I only know of a few markets where they're trying to transition to digital for most cable channels.

Stopping analog cable doesn't free up any airwaves...because cable is not over-the-air, the signal travels through the cable! So they cable companies can do it however they like.

Well it is not surpising of interech to try this false advertisement; if you have ever been in the mall on weekend; the intertech sales people with the "Are you paying too much for cable line?" are worse than the stupid sales people that are bugging everyone asking "Have a chip in windshield??". :mad:

Yep - that's them alright. Although if you tell them you're not paying too much for cable, they usually have no idea how to respond. ;)

They also tried telling me once that SD for satellite is 480i while for cable is 150i. Give me a break...I might have been born at night, but not last night. The things they will say to try and lure you in...

i sent an email to either inform them of their misunderstanding or correct their false advertising.

after looking closer, i think they might be relying on the usage of the words "off the air". obviously cable tv could never go "off the air" because there is no air involved. so technically, the statement is not false but it is rather moronic when taken literally. i could actually see a statement like this coming out of a dish network (or directv) marketing playbook.

while your at it - send some emails to all those companies that have "HD Antenna" printed on thier rabbit ear and antenna boxes. theres no such thing as an "HD antenna".

all those poor people paying $100 for a $10 set of rabbit ears - among other things. such a crime.

Perhaps in your area you can, but the majority of the nation's Cable broadcasts are going digital. The goal is to free up analog airwaves. So are you saying the cable companies are taking a digital signal and converting it to an analog signal? I respectfully disagree; there is no false advertising in that flyer. The goal is to move to a digital spectrum.

The main concern is that OTA signals tie up valuable airwaves that could be used for something else--that's why they're forcing the Analog to Digital switch. Since cable is wired, it really doesn't enter into the equation.

"In Feb 2009, all analog tv - both broadcast and cable - is going off air"

would probably have been easier to understand - but it would not have created nearly as much interest in the service probably.

But it would STILL be wrong. Analog cable is NOT going off the air. The digital transition ONLY has to do with OTA broadcasts, not pay TV networks. Cable can continue to distribute analog signals until the heat death of the universe.

why do all the DTV commercials I see like the one on PBS-HD say that cable customers are not affected, which is total B.S. and I have to explain this to people at work that channels 2 thru 99 on analog cable are being shut off as well FEB 2009.

Then you're giving them wrong information. Where does this misunderstanding come from? Cable is not affected. Cable and satellite don't have anything to do with this. The digital transition is the government wanting to auction off a big chunk of the broadcast spectrum, so the local broadcasters have to make due with less. Thus, to make it work they have to broadcast in digital. Cable and Satellite are PRIVATE networks, not using public airwaves. They can do whatever they want.

i could actually see a statement like this coming out of a dish network (or directv) marketing playbook.

Well, it's kind of like the insert that's coming in the receiver boxes now. It says that "Dish Network has worked hard to make sure you're not affected by the digital transition." What a laugh! They haven't done crap, because it doesn't have anything to do with them!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)