Well just got a look at my install

Is that third picture mounted over a living space?! :eek:

Although I (we) try to avoid it, it isn't uncommon for dishes to need to be mounted over a living space, usually for LOS reasons. Just make sure you tar the $%^& out of it and we have never had a problem.

Pix #3 doesn't look very well done. Not much tar, bolts not drilled/screwed straight in and stand offs not well placed.

Brad

I'm not fully happy but what can you do but do it yourself which I will end up re doing it eventually once I run all coax lines internally with cat5 to every room.

After pics will have to wait till tomorrow, wife hid the camera and never charged the batteries.

Sorry for the delay in getting these up but misplaced batteries and a daughters reward came first. The only part I'm not cool with is the last pic because he could have replaced the line instead of stretching it and leaving it like that so the line will still have to be replaced and at this point I'm going to do it myself.

Attachments

• Afterwards 001.JPG
    Afterwards 001.JPG
    272 KB · Views: 241
  • Afterwards 002.JPG
    Afterwards 002.JPG
    258.3 KB · Views: 275
  • Afterwards 003.JPG
    Afterwards 003.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 240
  • Afterwards 005.JPG
    Afterwards 005.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 255
  • Afterwards 004.JPG
    Afterwards 004.JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 286
Sorry for the delay in getting these up but misplaced batteries and a daughters reward came first. The only part I'm not cool with is the last pic because he could have replaced the line instead of stretching it and leaving it like that so the line will still have to be replaced and at this point I'm going to do it myself.
I agree on the last pic :rolleyes:

I'll admit, on a bad day I have done jobs that look almost as bad as the "fixed version" but if I was going out to redo a job as badly done as the first one I would have done a MUCH better job than that. Pix 2 could look a lot better, he didn't even fill the top left hole correctly with silicone. Pix 4 - The ground wire looks like crap, should be clean and straight and attached to the house. Pix 5 - could or should have been done like my poorly edited pix below, sorry my line isn't very straight.

Brad

Attachments

• Afterwards 004e.jpg
    Afterwards 004e.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 176
Well I guess that this is what the best can do that work for dish now and its not like he had other work to go do, he picked up my fix it job and was leaving to go back to the shop and home at 4:30pm.

Gotta try and get a hold of the executive rep again, this lady doesn't like to return calls.

Although I (we) try to avoid it, it isn't uncommon for dishes to need to be mounted over a living space, usually for LOS reasons. Just make sure you tar the $%^& out of it and we have never had a problem.

Pix #3 doesn't look very well done. Not much tar, bolts not drilled/screwed straight in and stand offs not well placed.

Brad

Where I'm at, mounting over a living space (except on a specially designed mount built on to the roof) is an auto-fail AND a damage claim.

Well I guess that this is what the best can do that work for dish now and its not like he had other work to go do, he picked up my fix it job and was leaving to go back to the shop and home at 4:30pm.

Gotta try and get a hold of the executive rep again, this lady doesn't like to return calls.

Honestly, Van. If I rolled up on that job I would have ripped everything out and re-installed it. No point in fixing that mess.

Ya mind posting a few pictures of different sides of the house? From the looks of it and no offense by this, but the outside parts in some places look to be in bad shape regardless of what wires are run where.

Are you really upset about how the wires are run even though parts of the walls look as if they are falling down or the amount of foam pumped up under shingles is pushing them apart so bad that the wires run parallel to it would be a eye sore??

again, no offense but just from the pictures I've seen it looks as if the house is in need of some TLC before anything else is done with the wires or install work.

Where I'm at, mounting over a living space (except on a specially designed mount built on to the roof) is an auto-fail AND a damage claim.

With 1000's of installers, I get DNSC not wanting to deal with the possibility of leaking. We are a small retailer and the boss/owner knows we know what we are doing (We have all been here for over 9 years) and isn't worried about us screwing it up. I have probably installed 100's of dishes "over living spaces" in 10+ years, we have never had a leak or complaint.

Damage claim by who? The customer that just requested it be mounted there? Antennas have been mounted "over living spaces" for 60+ years. If the customer wants it there and you are a competent installer and do it correctly, who's complaining? If I want to pay someone to place a car on my roof, and I give the OK, and sign that I requested and approved said action, I can't sue for them doing exactly what I want. Especially if all potential hazards were addressed in writing at the time. More realistically, if I want a skylight added, obviously someone is going to be making "roof penetrations". I assume they will do it correctly, seal it up and there wont be problems, I see no difference between that and mounting a dish over the living space.

Brad

Ya mind posting a few pictures of different sides of the house? From the looks of it and no offense by this, but the outside parts in some places look to be in bad shape regardless of what wires are run where.

Are you really upset about how the wires are run even though parts of the walls look as if they are falling down or the amount of foam pumped up under shingles is pushing them apart so bad that the wires run parallel to it would be a eye sore??

again, no offense but just from the pictures I've seen it looks as if the house is in need of some TLC before anything else is done with the wires or install work.
The foam was put into a knot hole in the fascia to seal out an access point for things you don't want inside and is not pushing the shingles up. Its not a question of it being an eye sore either, I explained it clearly to the second tech that I was going to be installing siding as well as gutters and new fascia boards later on in the year so I made sure that I communicated with him about what was going to happen and what I wanted which was the cable routed under the eave and to leave some slack over the sun room which there is none.

None of the walls are coming off or about to fall off and though the house is not the nicest every install is to be treated as if it were your own house and you wanted it done right. Maybe crappy installs are what some installers get by on but even at the worst house that I ever installed on where the floors walls and counters all had waves in them and not a single door was plumb did I ever do a crappy install. I wouldn't care if you lived in a fishing shack I'd still do the job right regardless of that fact because you treat the customer with respect not a flaming bag of dog crap on his doorstep.

When I had my dish install, the loser who looks like he is on drugs and crack made tons of excuse trying to reschedule to come on Christmas Day. He said he does not have a ladder. I told him he either get the work done or get reported and possibly get fire by Dish. In between, he took tiime off claiming he was missing certain parts and need to go back and get them (BS). It took atleast 6-7 hours to get a 3 hour work done.

The problem is he install the Dish HIGH HIGH UP which he wasn't suppose to. I had a new dish installer last year and the experience guy from Dish told me the original installer should never had install the Dish HIGH HIGH UP. And, he cannot figure out why an even easier job of installer the Dish downstairs became more complicated installing it HIGH HIGH UP. But, he did say the position of the Dish is good, strong and won't get blown away during a bad weather season. And, Dish installer can no longer climb on top of the roof due to laws or they don't want to do so (new customers). Either they can install the Dish at a lower site. If not, they just won't install it.

During the last visit, I request Dish Network to send out a guy driving a DISH NETWORK TRUCK and wearing a DISH NETWORK UNIFORM. The first guy just drove a truck and that is it.

Concerning the clips, I do remember reading in previous Dish Tech manuals NOT to space the clips EVENLY apart as this could cause a problem. However, in the most recent tech manual I can find no mention of this. It just says they should be spaced 18 - 24 inches apart.

Dish was wishy washy with clips of all sorts when I worked for them. They did away with regular arched staple clips replacing them with plastic covered staple clips then did away with them. They did away with the plastic clips used on vinyl siding as well but one thing was always an absolute and that was that you did not use screw clips on the roof.

There are good installers that work for dish or at least I used to know ones that I worked with who were good installers, whether they still do is hard to tell but there was about a good dozen or so of us who would make things look good and work right.

Still can't get a hold of Sarah from the executive office, will give her one more call before I email.

The foam was put into a knot hole in the fascia to seal out an access point for things you don't want inside and is not pushing the shingles up. Its not a question of it being an eye sore either, I explained it clearly to the second tech that I was going to be installing siding as well as gutters and new fascia boards later on in the year so I made sure that I communicated with him about what was going to happen and what I wanted which was the cable routed under the eave and to leave some slack over the sun room which there is none.

None of the walls are coming off or about to fall off and though the house is not the nicest every install is to be treated as if it were your own house and you wanted it done right. Maybe crappy installs are what some installers get by on but even at the worst house that I ever installed on where the floors walls and counters all had waves in them and not a single door was plumb did I ever do a crappy install. I wouldn't care if you lived in a fishing shack I'd still do the job right regardless of that fact because you treat the customer with respect not a flaming bag of dog crap on his doorstep.

Fair enough, I've been to some run down dumps before...there isn't but so much sugar you can coat the install to make it look any better on most places that look as if they should be condemned. You do the best you can to make it look half way decent and to pass QAS by the typical "I'll find something wrong with everything" inspectors and get the hell out. Main reason I might throw a install in or just do what I can to get it working is cause the home smells to something dead, just sh!tty all together or the person there freaks me out.

Sounds like you got your situation in order, thanks for the brief answer to my question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts