West coast voomers, do you have rain fade?

dankgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
I live in Northern California, up pretty far near the top. I have had mild rain today and yesterday, drizzling really, both time I have had rain fade. My signal drops to 60% or even lower. I usually have 89-94% on a clear day. I am having a bigger dish installed this week and I will have the guy really peak that thing best as he can.

If you have had the bigger 24" dish installed, is it a big improvement in rain fade? Is there anything else that can be done like amplify the signal somehow? I would guess the STB would have all necessary amps already just for these cases. ?

THANKS,
--Dan

I don't worry about rain fade cause I may not be with voom by the time it rains here in l.a. :)

It hasn't rained here since my install, so I haven't experienced rain fade yet. I have a 24 inch dish.

barth2k said:
I don't worry about rain fade cause I may not be with voom by the time it rains here in l.a. :)

Yeah, I'm of the same mind. I've had very little fade during rain storms with DTV over the years.

Voom will fade when we have a hard sunset.

Yes, I'm having the same problem in Portland. They are going to come and install a bigger dish and switch out a reciever, but I doubt that will help. I have been told that you are supposed to lose picture at 72% and if that is the case I'll be back to Direct Tv soon. It's too bad because I have been happy with the product otherwise.

Greg J.

I'm on the south coast of Oregon, and the rain fade is pretty extensive. i usually get signal strength of 92 on a clear day, but the rainy season has started early, and the rain fade is bad. the signal strength is down in the 50's. if it continues, and we don't get a new dish or larger dish, i may have to give up voom :( i guess I'll give them a call and see if they will send me a larger dish.

frank

Reporting on "rain fade" (not!) in Santa Rosa, CA: Had our first heavy rain this morning since we got Voom (in May). Signal went down to the 70s (from a usual 94). PQ and Music Choice were still great as ever. No problems here.

Bigger Dish = much less rain fade

Hi all,
I live in Klamath Falls, Oregon and was originally installed with the 18"
dish. Even a cloud in the eastern sky would cause loss of signal.
Rather than fight with CSR's, I simply went to the INTERNET and did a
search for 30" dishes. Found what I needed and had it shipped out to
me. Installed it myself, peaked it and hardly ever lose the signal now.
Was worth every penny spent.
Now if I could only get my PBS HD (OTA) to work!! Have been fighting
since the first part of the year to get this station. Have worked with
the engineers of the station (excellent people to work with) and No one
at Voom seems to really care. Oops, off the subject of this thread.
Good luck on getting a bigger dish, try it. Worked for me!
Terry

Since I started this thread, I should tell you that I now have a 24" dish and have had some good rain with no problems. Before the 24" dish, slight drizzle would cause loss of signal. The 24" dish is great, it should be standard.

--Dan

Boy do I ever have rain fade...

I live on the Bay Area Peninsula and have had VOOM for months now. Up until our first big rain on Sunday, I've been pretty happy with the satellite reception (not so happy with OTA, but that's more due to my location). I now realize that I can forget about watching anything on VOOM when it rains. I've contacted VOOM and they're going to "look into the possibility" of installing a bigger dish. In the meantime, I've requested that they stop billing me for an unavailable service.

Even though it's on the expensive side, I really like VOOM (when it works). Has anyone else located in the Bay Area installed a larger dish? If so, how has your reception been the last few days?

barth2k said:

well I have to eat my words. It rained, I'm still here, got rain fade.

Rain fade finally happened here too! Santa Rosa. But only during the most severe moments of the storm.

I have Music Choice playing in my home office all day, and I can tell the thickness of the cloud cover and the power of the storm by "cut outs" in the music.

No rain fade here in Huntington Beach and we had a lot of rain yesterday. Still would rather have VOOM's 20 movie channels in HD (Cinema10 + Premium HD's) than DirecTV's 3 HD movie channels. Saw "KILL BILL" & "AS GOOD AS IT GETS" . All during the rain.

During this morning's storm, I lost my Voom channels intermittently at first and then completely. I was listening to Music Choice around 9 a.m., and as the rain worsened, the signal just kicked out. I haven't checked again yet, two hours later.

I live in Inglewood and yes when it rains the picture freezes, quirks, and eventually goes out until the rain stops. If they wont give me a bigger dish and that doesnt solve the problem, they've lost a customer.

I had rain fade yesterday (San Diego North County) for a short while. The screen was completely black for about two minutes. Eventually, came back and I had no problems for the rest of the evening. Really, it's not too bad to suffer a few minutes of rain fade every 185 days! :rolleyes: I had more rain fade in the past with D*, but it too was tolerable. Actually, I wouldn't mind more rain fade since it would mean we are getting badly needed rain fall in Southern California. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)