West Facing Porch

joncom

Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Ok, here is my delima:

I was anticipating my install today for a week now. Trying not to get my hopes up which did not work.

My porch faces west and north and I am on the 3rd floor. I tried to check the azimuth and elevation and it would be close pointing the dish back towards the building. Since my porch sits out a little from the building the elevation appears to be just over the roof of the apartment.

The install guy came out took 2 minutes and said, no it wasn't possible at all. I think it might be possible but will be real close.

My question is: Where can I find someone to take the time and actually test to see if a signal cannot be received? I live in the Dallas (Irving) texas.

Should I just give up and go with DISH?

Where can I find a tech to do a thorough check for me in the Dallas Metro area instead of just eyeballing it?

Thanks,

Jon

Knowledgable installers (D*, E*, or VOOM) are hard to come by in my experience.

If you've either done the trig, or used an angle finder, and clear the roof you will get the signal. My installer doubted my location for the dish, and I had to TELL my installer I cleared the next door neighbors roof by two feet.

Rob.

Well I called and asked to get a second opinion and they said they would call me back. The installer told me that the overhang would block...which I know for a fact the signal doesn't come in at an elevation of 90 degrees lol.

the elevation is 36, and i have not used an angle finder, but tell me if i am a moron but won't a protractor and compass give me a good estimation?

If i am not an idiot then i should clear everything...the only issue is getting the dish out of from the railing about 1 foot so that it can get around the corner of the porch.

I will wait and see if the 2nd guy to come out might be more willing to try. Maybe if i offer some cash for him to spend more time trying he might be willing to check it out :)

joncom said:
the elevation is 36, and i have not used an angle finder, but tell me if i am a moron but won't a protractor and compass give me a good estimation?
As long as you have good level/roofline references for the protractor, and the roofline is below 36 degrees, you are good to go :D .

its more of a problem of getting it away from the porch then getting it higher hope this really bad ascii layout works:

<--south --->north
|--2ft wall--|------railing-----------------|---2ft wall---|
| -->porch
|-->porch
|---------------------apartment wall --|

| = wall

I have to hang the dish on the railing sticking out west and point it back towards the apartment. I think i only have to get the center of the dish 1'6" west of the railing to get around the 2' wall at the end of my porch. If i can do that the elevation clears just fine!

It has been a while since i have done geometry so i am trying to figure out how far out the center of the dish has to be west of the railing to clear the 2' wall...any help would be appreciative

guess it would help to have the angle to the satellite. From my zip the azimuth is 122 degrees, elevation 36

Well I called Voom to get a second opinion...and they said they would have someone out...waiting....waiting....waiting....I am sure it is the installers lowest priority to come out and tell me no we can't install it!

So expecting this answer I have a new question, cause i am going to get voom no matter what it takes!!!!

I found out that in order for me to get around the corner I would have to go out 3'4"(center of dish) away from the railing. Will installers install a dish out that far? I know it will be difficult to adjust the dish to point correctly but I really just need to know If one will install it like this?

If I purchased my equipment, which i can't right now due to recent events, can I install myself? Ignore the fact that it is an apartment.

Is there a way to install a dish at an angle from the wall or railing instead of an arm perpendicular to to the railing? Home built or bought?

I am thinking a square wooden frame with a steel pole mounted through the middle, then mount the mounting arm to the pole which will allow me to swing the mounting arm at any angle i so desire which i can then mount to the railing? Very home brew....i know!!!

By being able to mount at an angle, the distance from the wall/railing will be less which will be more agreeable by my apartment.

Last but not least...if i can't get a voom installer can I find a professional installer who will install the dish that i would have to pay out of my pocket?

Thanks for reading...and hopefully answering this novel!!!!

Jon