Western Digital My Book AV DVR Expander 1 TB USB 2.0/eSATA External Hard Drive

awake1

Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
CA
Just got one and hooked it up.

I had thought that having an EHD would eliminate storage issues when the DVR went south - I'm on my third DVR - lost hours and hours of movies, etc. each time. First, apparently the external hard drive is only used when the internal hard drive is full, right?

Also, if and when the DVR goes south the external hard drive also goes south - apparently the external hard drive cannot be used with a new DVR - I'm not sure if it cannot be used period or that whatever is stored on it is lost (although is can be used as if empty).

Now, this is the issue - since it's an external drive, I was thinking that it could be perfect hardware to assure access to stored video when the DVR goes south - but, that appears not to be the case, right?

Therefore, it is true that although I've seriously increased my storage capacity, I've also seriously increased the loss of stored video if and when the DVR goes down? If this is true, I'm starting to feel like a fool for spending money on this setup. If true, I suppose this is some sort of copyright, sharing scenario but it seems strange in that external hard drives are not so limited when connected to a PC. Why can't one in some way attach this hard drive to any other devise that plays video?

I'm a little lost and just a little pissed off - any input would be appreciated.

Welcome Awake!

To answer your questions...

No... the only things that are stored on the EHD are the shows you want to save there. It does not save all new recordings there, you must move them for them to be on the EHD.

If you have stuff stored on a EHD on a 722 and it dies, you will be able to plug it in to your replacement 722 and it will work fine. Same goes if you upgrade from a 722 to a 922 or Hopper, just plug it in to the new receiver and you have access to your stored content on the EHD.

Content owners demand encryption and do not license for reading on any device. If you could play it on a PC, you could copy it and pass it around,

Welcome Awake!

To answer your questions...

No... the only things that are stored on the EHD are the shows you want to save there. It does not save all new recordings there, you must move them for them to be on the EHD.

If you have stuff stored on a EHD on a 722 and it dies, you will be able to plug it in to your replacement 722 and it will work fine. Same goes if you upgrade from a 722 to a 922 or Hopper, just plug it in to the new receiver and you have access to your stored content on the EHD.

WOW - that's not what the DISH rep. told us, but that's not unusual. This is great news, thanks!

How does one 'transfer saved media to the EHD '? I don't see that option when I bring up the screen relating to a specific movie.

Content owners demand encryption and do not license for reading on any device. If you could play it on a PC, you could copy it and pass it around,

Makes sense to me - but losing saved media when the DVR goes south doesn't.

It is an EHD Archival feature. TiVo and some other cable co DVR's use the EHD as expanded capacity to the DVR. Dish also has this type of EHD service but ONLY for turning a NON-DVR into a DVR using the EHD.

Please be aware that your EHD is tied to your account ONLY. You may playback the EHD content on ANY compatible (models that have the EHD Archive feature) DVR on your account. You can even save from one of your DVR's, then take the EHD and connect to another DVR and save stuff from there to the EHD, etc. You cannot take your EHD and view content on any other DVR but those on your account.

There is no limit to the number of EHD's you may use for Archival. You can have one for your movies only, then one for your TV shows, etc.

Enjoy.

Makes sense to me - but losing saved media when the DVR goes south doesn't.

Agreed. That's why I put most stuff on what I believe to be more reliable EHDs. I even have a RAID EHD for the special stuff.

Now, will I live long enough to watch it all? ;)

The only thing (other than EHD failure or other formatting issues) that would make you lose your EHD recordings would be if you were to cancel your Dish account. Even if you come back to Dish you won't be able to get the content back.

Also, the 411/211/211K EHD content is not compatible with the 622/722/722K/922/Hopper EHD content.