What am I doing wrong with my Dad's CRT RP HDTV?

ClevelandRob

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 14, 2006
So my mom and step-dad recently bought a house and figured this would be a good time to go HD. They've never had HD or a DVR but I recommended the ViP622 and DishHD Silver.

As a test, I decided to take over my 622 and hook it up to his GE Rear Projection CRT HDTV Monitor. It is close to 3 years old. The only inputs that he has that seems HD compatible would be a set of Component inputs. So I plugged in the 622, yet when I turned it on, I got THREE vertically squished images side-by-side. When I went into the setup for the 622 and changed it from 720p to 1080i, the image was normal but the guns were all off with the red channel being heavily skewed in the middle and worsens to the right. When I set to 480p, the image seem to display fine, but I don't know if it's HD. It definately looks good, but it doesn't make sense that it would be HD with the box set to 480p.

Part of the problem is that I don't know what his TV should look like with HD. I have a newer DLP and I KNOW when I see HD, no question. But I don't know if I should expect similar results or if his set is just old. I off course told him it looked good as to not hurt his feelings!

His HDTV doesn't have a built-in tuner, but the manual says that a HDTV Tuner can be plugged into the component inputs. Isn't the ViP622 a substitute for having an old HDTV Tuner?

Please Help!

When I set to 480p, the image seem to display fine, but I don't know if it's HD. It definately looks good, but it doesn't make sense that it would be HD with the box set to 480p.

480p isn't HD. Are you sure the set is actually and HDTV and not one of the EDTV that were being passed off on people.

480p isn't HD. Are you sure the set is actually and HDTV and not one of the EDTV that were being passed off on people.

This would be my first thought as well. Check the manual to see what resolutions it will accept. Even a lot of the EDTV's will accept 1080i/720p and down res it to 480.

From manual:

"HDTV Component Inputs (Synchroscan):
Auto-adjusting inputs allow a wide array of component equipment to be connected to this HDTV monitor. The SYNCHROSCAN circuits automatically detect and display video in various formats including High Definition (HDTV, 1080i), Enhanced Definition (EDTV, 480p) and standard definition (SDTV, 480i). This helps simplify the connection process."

I guess it doesn't take 720p, but why would the guns go all screwy when switched to 1080i when it is fine for everything else SD that is coming into the other inputs?!? That doesn't make sense. I know that 480p isn't HD. My point was that it was hard to tell a difference between 480p setting on the 622 and the 1080i (though the 1080i is all screwed as noted). On my set I can easily distinguish the two. Could the scaling in this set be as good as it can display as a 1080i signal?

Well in theory it should accept and display the 1080i signal from the 622. I guess I'll greenlight him to get E* and have someone come out to adjust the set after the move.

Make sure the ViP622 is set to output 1080. If it's outputting 720, that could be your problem.

I doubt an installer will do much on setting up a TV. Some, but not a lot.

So he's had an HDTV for 3 years with no HD signal? Sigh. Probably out of warranty now, if it is a TV problem.

Could try another set of component cables. Also, you could make sure current cables are fit into connection tightly "properly". I've had this problem with my 2002 Sony 46" RPTV in the past. If the cables aren't in just right I'll get red / green issues. Just my $.02.

Check the cables carefully, make sure red/blue grn are in the correct spots. Look up the specs of the TV on the internet to see what type of inputs it will accept and set the 622 accordingly.

I have an older Sharp EDTV that will accept 480P, so DVD and dish set to 480P look good, but not as good as 720P or 1080 on my other sets.

Also, when Dish installs a 622 or HD receiver, they almost always seem to leave the 622 in 480 mode.... I bet they are thousands of HDTV users who have dish install their equipment and leave in it 480 mode and they never know the difference.

Probably 15 out 15 houses I have made PC service calls too that have Dish HD, their boxes have been set wrong.

Also check the setup menu of the TV. See if if it has auto-convergence. I have about the same age Toshiba CRT HDTV and I have to run the auto-convergence of the guns periodically. It always fixes a problem when I have a similar problem.

Check the following on the inputs
* as others have said - check the cables - switching them is easy to do and it makes the colors off...This really sounds like a cable issue.
* check to see if they are ypr/cpr - make sure to use YPR, etc.....Some older sets had a "C" series set of inputs that wasnt true HDTV

I am assuming your 622 is setup for 16x9 already - but sometimes it has 4:3...On the flipside - make sure his TV is 16:9. Some HDTV were 4:3 in those days.
-----

Honestly, a 3yr old CRT HDTV when properly setup has a better picture than most micro-displays of today. I have a LCD flat panel, DLP rear projection and my older Tosh is miles better when properly setup but doesnt handle lighted rooms nearly as well - that is the only drawback to it.

Convergence is not a source issue. The convergence of the TV needs to be adjusted. Because what you describe sounds like a linearity problem, there's probably some serious hardware that needs to be replaced.

Because RPTVs of that size require in-home service, I'd suggest putting it back on SD and DVD duty and putting a modern HDTV in its place.

"...a 3yr old CRT HDTV when properly setup has a better picture than most micro-displays of today..."

Now that really depends upon the brand and model. And even the best CRTs, with very few exceptions, will have less resolution and more geometric distortion.

Hardly matters. Seen any hulking CRT projection TVs for sale lately? Notice how few direct view CRTs are still for sale? Even Wal-Mart seems to be phasing them out. If it can be repaired today for a reasonable amount, it might be a good investment. One thing is for sure- parts and repair expertise will fast disappear for these monsters. And the biggest concern then will be disposal.

Can you post a picture of what the screen looks like. I, for one, cannot tell if it is a convergence/geometry issue or a source/input issue and a picture may help clarify things.

If you recently moved the TV into a new house there is a good chance a CRT became misaligned and will need physical re-adjustment.

The cables are properly connected and working. When I set it to 480p, everything looks fine.

I think Lorax is the winner! I just looked up the auto-convergence in the manual and it does specifically say to set the auto-convergence when using an HD source on the Component input.

Good thing is that they still have a few months on the 3 year service plan they bought. After the E* install, we will set to 1080i, complete the auto-convergence and if necessary, will have a professional calibration done.

Thanks to everyone for there help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)