What AMC - 14's loss means to Dish

Skyhi

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 29, 2007
NE Ohio
Speculate Here. And please, don't say that its not a problem.....they obviously wanted the satellite for something. What effects will Dish's customers experience due to the loss.

In simple terms, it means delayed HD gratification. I don't know what the future sat launch schedule looks like, but I am sure this has shifted their HD deployment schedule back at least the number of months between the AMC-14 planned activation and the next sat.

/\ Me too. If the net result of this is that we get even more watered down HD in the future, I think people (including me) will be really upset.

Oh yeah, I just subbed because I love the idea of the HD only pack. Ill give them to the end of the year to add norfolk locals and improve PQ on HD. If they continue to add HD to keep up while damaging PQ, I guess Ill head back to D* and pay $30 more a month :(

seems dish still thinks theyre on track but this will no doubt slow down the rollout. when should we expect the next launch tho?

Oh yeah, I just subbed because I love the idea of the HD only pack. Ill give them to the end of the year to add norfolk locals and improve PQ on HD. If they continue to add HD to keep up while damaging PQ, I guess Ill head back to D* and pay $30 more a month :(

Better give 'em til May for the Norfolk, that's when they have them "planned" for :)

I've read, but don't know directly that launch schedules at the two primary businesses used by D* and E* are booked through 2011 and that it takes roughly 4 years to design and build a satelitte... so given AMC was a centerpiece to deliver SOMETHING of value for DISH and speculation was it was going to deliver HD... the first blush conclusion is that DISH can squeeze a few more HD channels onto existing and recently acquired TPs and then will be 4 long years in waiting for a replacement.

For those that disagree, please tell us less educated on how the loss of an "essential" component to your strategy doesn't negatively impact that strategy.

Short term there should be no problem. Remember, Scott has pointed out many times that AMC-14 was not and is not part of the national or local hd channels that are set to be released the next 2 months.

Long term however, that could be a different story.:(

We will see how important those 4 transponders were to Dish later this Summer.

It means they should start moving E6 over to 61.5 to replace the disintegrating E3, so they can use all the transponders there. When E11 is launched, then maybe they can move E8 from 110 to 77w to continue their Eastern Arc strategy.

I've read, but don't know directly that launch schedules at the two primary businesses used by D* and E* are booked through 2011 and that it takes roughly 4 years to design and build a satelitte... so given AMC was a centerpiece to deliver SOMETHING of value for DISH and speculation was it was going to deliver HD... the first blush conclusion is that DISH can squeeze a few more HD channels onto existing and recently acquired TPs and then will be 4 long years in waiting for a replacement.

For those that disagree, please tell us less educated on how the loss of an "essential" component to your strategy doesn't negatively impact that strategy.

Dish can always use the insurance payout on this sat, to upgrade many/all of their subs to Mpeg-4 receivers. That should allow them to increase their channel carrying capacity quite a bit. Win-win!

Dish can always use the insurance payout on this sat, to upgrade many/all of their subs to Mpeg-4 receivers. That should allow them to increase their channel carrying capacity quite a bit. Win-win!

Dish does not own the satellite and I don't know what insurance (if any) they had for their upfront costs to get SES to build the bird.

Well, its my understanding (strictly speaking from what I've read here) is that AMC-14 was slated to be a replacement for older sats at 61.5, like Rainbow-1. If it is a replacement, and there is still life left in the older birds, well then the impact is not as great as if it was an entirely new venture here. But regardless, the truth does remain to be seen...

AMC14 was not replacing Rainbow1. Rainbow1 is not old. AMC14 couldn't have replaced R1 if it wanted to since AMC14 had no spotbeam capabilities.

Converting everything to mpeg4 and upping PQ would be a nice move for space and customer retention
I think if they started today it would still take 2+ years for them to accomplish this.
I think any true HD lovers best bet is for D* to come out with a ViP722 clone or an out right SAT merger. DISH has put it's self in an almost impossible catch-up position that with the loss of AMC14 is now truely impossible.
So for the short term they will be able to add some of the more popular HD channels like sci-fi and usa but long term; D* is not standing still in fact it is pulling away at a trotters pace.

SWAG:

12 million non MPEG-4 receivers times $100 (cost to Dish after cost sharing w/customers?) equals $1,200,000,000

That's 1.2 BILLION dollars, and is probably at the low end of actual costs.

Ain't gonna happen. Not in the near future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts