What are the latest dish pointing options for hopper 3

pghdish

Original poster
Dec 26, 2016
pittsburgh, pa
Ignoring the obvious, which would be calling a Dish service tech to do it, what are the alternatives for pointing a new dish for hopper 3?

I have been unable to find any technical information showing which aftermarket signal meters are compatible with hopper 3. The only one that I've seen testimony about is the Super whatever 29. I see nightmare stories about folks trying various digital meters and having no luck. All the literature I can find on the internet is limited to directtv or Dish Pro Plus LNB's and older dish stuff. Oh the good old days....

Assuming no powered peaking meter, can an antenna be manually pointed with sufficient accuracy to pass the check switch step??

If a 1000.2 antenna unit is already pointed and maxed out using dpp lnb and legacy receiver (such as 722) , is it reasonable to assume that swapping the lnb out for a dph will allow the hooper 3 to pass the check switch step? I would assume the alignment would not change much when swapping lnb's. The reason I'm asking this is because, if I must, I may resort to installing a $25 DPP lnb and using an old legacy receiver to point the antenna.

Is the new hopper 3 compatible pro hybrid western arc lnb a 21v or 29v unit? I can't find any specs on it.

Has anyone tried using a simple signal level meter to adjust dph lnb to 119 by using a cheapo directtv-compatible coax dc power supply with foil covering the outer two horns on the lnb?

thanks for any ideas

I believe that the Hybrid LNBF is DishPro, until connected to a Hopper, which commands it to go into Hybrid mode. So you should be able to use any DishPro compatible receiver for pointing.

If you're replacing a 3-head Western Arc Dish1000.2 with a 3-head WA Hybrid, the dish should not require moving.

thanks, pepper!

Unfortunately I have to swap an existing 1000.4 dpp WA antenna out for a 1000.2 w. dph.

I will connect the new 1000.2 dph to my old, sick VIP722, and point the antenna with the receivers built-in signal metering, then swap out 722 for the hopper 3 and run the check switch.

Hopefully this gets me up on hopper 3 without investing in a $300 meter that I will likely never need again.

If that doesn't work I will try a 211 I have laying around.

I believe that the Hybrid LNBF is DishPro, until connected to a Hopper, which commands it to go into Hybrid mode. So you should be able to use any DishPro compatible receiver for pointing.

If you're replacing a 3-head Western Arc Dish1000.2 with a 3-head WA Hybrid, the dish should not require moving.

That was my experience after doing the hybrid LNB swap. In fact, my signal has been more stable since switching from a ViP 622 to the H3 about a month ago.

Since I setup often, I did acquire a Super Buddy. I was unsuccessful with my First Strike FS1 in aiming a DPH. The Super Buddy works great but it is expensive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)