what determines which satellite for your channels ?

royals1969

Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
NY
I am currently using a 1000.2 pointed at 110,119,129 and a separate dish for the 61.5 since my locals are on 61.5. all these run thru a DPP 44 switch....My question is when HD channels are on multiple satellites, what determines where they channels signals pulled from?
Is it the satellite order in the switch? something in the tiers format?

I am currently using a 1000.2 pointed at 110,119,129 and a separate dish for the 61.5 since my locals are on 61.5. all these run thru a DPP 44 switch....My question is when HD channels are on multiple satellites, what determines where they channels signals pulled from?

You need to be switch to the eastern arc. Locals are being moved off on 61.5. You also need to have VIKP receivers for the earc. PM one of the Dish Internet Response Team(DIRT). Their names will be in red at the top of a message. Send them your phone number and they can look up your account info.

Pure DUMB LUCK to answer your specific question.

It's random, and it can change after a reboot. There is no way to guarantee which sat it comes from with duplicate channels, UNLESS you are only pointed at a single sat that only has those channels. If 2 have them, it's random as I said.

it depends on what market the OP is in. They arent moving locals off 61.5

But to answer the original post, there is no rhyme or reason as to which satellite it picks...at least thats how I've understood it

Just depends on which one gets loaded into the map memory first. Keep the wing and move it to 72.7 in case 129 goes down again :)

Since dwarren2 didn't address your question...

I'm guessing that it has something to do with where your guide data is coming from. My theory suggests that if the guide data comes from 110W, you'll get a preference for 129W if there is a feed horn for it.

but if his locals are on 61.5 that wont help him by moving the dish to 72...He'll lose his HD locals

I'm NY locals, and they are on the 61.5, unless they are moving to 72.7? But perhaps I can change my setup to use only 61.5 and 72.7 with a single dish 500? can it be done? I could remove the bigger dish 1000.2 ? your thoughts?

you can do 61.5 & 72 on a Dish 500. Its been done before but the signals will be a smidge lower. Normal LNB spacing is 9 degrees and these are 11 apart

you can do 61.5 & 72 on a Dish 500. Its been done before but the signals will be a smidge lower. Normal LNB spacing is 9 degrees and these are 11 apart

Well my signal is not very strong ( between 30 and 60 ) with the dish 500 on the 61.5 by itself, so adding the 72 probably not a good idea. Thanks

Since dwarren2 didn't address your question...

I'm guessing that it has something to do with where your guide data is coming from. My theory suggests that if the guide data comes from 110W, you'll get a preference for 129W if there is a feed horn for it.

This answer seems to make some sense to me....last night when the 129 was down i was looking for a couple 129 HD channels mirrored on the 61.5, so I disconeccted the 129 satellite feed and did a check switch and reloaded all the sats/guide data and I was not able to get those HD channels on the 61.5 even though they are on both sats. Go figure

I hope OP doesn't mind me jumping on this thread to ask about diff. sat question.

Say if my local HD is on 61.5 and I wanted to sub to international channels (currently on 118.7)..

Do they replace my current antenna with a wider one that can cover 61.5 and 118.7 ?

I was just about to ask a similar question and found this thread. So I hooked up my old wing dish to give me a backup in case 129 goes down again, and I am getting pretty good signal now from 72.7. Some of my SD channels are now mapped to 72.7 while others are mapped to 110 or 119. All of my HD channels are coming from 129. I can see the 9000-series HD channels in my guide, but not the 4000-series ones that I would expect to see from 72.7. Are those channels hidden to everyone?

As I said earlier I'm on the earc. I have a 211 and a 722. There have been times when each receiver will get the same channel off of different swats.

BTW, this same discussion was brought up earlier this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)