What direction should the antenna be pointing for the EA?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bigbyrd4

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
St. George, SC
My 722 receiver crapped out over the weekend and i have an appointment next Wednesday for an upgrade to a Hopper. i am really looking forward to seeing what the Hopper can do.

Also, since we are planning to get a new roof, i am getting them to put in a new dish mounted on a pole. The current dish is on the roof because we are pointed at the WA, (Charleston, SC locals); and the trees grew too big about 6 years ago and they put it on the roof. i want them to put in an EA dish because i dont know where they would put it now and not have LOS problems. My house is on 11 acres and the front 5 acres is horse pasture, the house faces basically north and there should be plenty of places to put an EA dish. I need to know the direction the dish would point to get EA so i can find a good place for the installer to put that wont be in the way of other things.

One more thing. If i can find a good place to put an EA dish, do i need to contact Dish and tell them, specifically, to bring an EA dish?

Reactions: charlesrshell
My 722 receiver crapped out over the weekend and i have an appointment next Wednesday for an upgrade to a Hopper. i am really looking forward to seeing what the Hopper can do.

Also, since we are planning to get a new roof, i am getting them to put in a new dish mounted on a pole. The current dish is on the roof because we are pointed at the WA, (Charleston, SC locals); and the trees grew too big about 6 years ago and they put it on the roof. i want them to put in an EA dish because i dont know where they would put it now and not have LOS problems. My house is on 11 acres and the front 5 acres is horse pasture, the house faces basically north and there should be plenty of places to put an EA dish. I need to know the direction the dish would point to get EA so i can find a good place for the installer to put that wont be in the way of other things.

One more thing. If i can find a good place to put an EA dish, do i need to contact Dish and tell them, specifically, to bring an EA dish?

This would be set up as a custom work/relocate dish so it would have a $50 charge plus any applicable tech fees and taxes. If the account showed you'd be switching to an EA dish instead of the WA (this happens automatically in cases where you should be getting a better signal from the other arc) it'll be automatic, but we can put a note on the account that you want to switch to EA and our techs can see if that will be viable.

Reactions: NYDutch
It is raining cats and dogs right now, but I will go out later and using the app mentioned above see if I can get EA or WA. I believe the only way they will get LOS on WA is to plant the pole in the back of the house and they would have a terrible time burying the wire. Whereas for EA they can plant the pole near the fence to the pasture and have a straight shot run to bury the wire. I might have to cut down some small pine trees and popcorn trees, but they need to come down anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Reactions: NYDutch

Just a thought, but the installer just might have some better ideas on the working with you on dish placement, since it's something he does several times a day and something I noticed over the years; Do customers not realize we carry enough equipment to deal with any situation? I had one the other day ask me three times to verify I had a Joey 2 on the van (I have 24).

If nothing else, he'll definitely know where the EA Sats are

This would be set up as a custom work/relocate dish so it would have a $50 charge plus any applicable tech fees and taxes. If the account showed you'd be switching to an EA dish instead of the WA (this happens automatically in cases where you should be getting a better signal from the other arc) it'll be automatic, but we can put a note on the account that you want to switch to EA and our techs can see if that will be viable.
Why would it be a relocate dish work order if it's an upgrade???? If that area calls for an EA, then the work order will specify an EA LNBF and would not carry any fee

Reactions: TheKrell
There's always a go to. Mine is on both arcs, also, but EA is the priority now so every upgrade calls for an arc swap. Pretty much any market that has EA as an option, it;s the first choice

Higher in the sky means less rain fade. I have noticed this repeatedly when I had mixed arc for years. The WA would go out, but I could still see my locals on 61.5. In fact, my locals (and before that foreign language channels) almost never went out unless I had a tremendous thunderstorm right overhead.

Now I predict Tampa8 will come in here and reminds us of his opposite experience. ;)

What's a popcorn tree?
It is an invasive species that grows rampant, at least in South Carolina. it grows up against things like fences and in the fall it gets what looks like grapes on them. The grapes open up and turn white and that resembles popcorn.

I fenced in our 5 acre pasture 13 years ago and now if the boards on the fence rotted away completely the horses would still think there is a fence from all of the Popcorn trees that have grown up.

Reactions: TheKrell
Using the Winegard app, as best I could, it looks like there are several places along the fence they could plant the pole and I wouldn’t have to cut any trees. I tried several places to find the WA satellites with clear LOS with no good results.

When we moved here 13 years ago a “Dish” tech came out and ran the coax, set the TVs up and put the dish on a temporary platform. Another contractor came out later and put the post in the ground with concrete.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)