What do I need to add an additional Dish receiver?

btrcp2000

Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
I currently have one vip211, and will likely be buying a used 622 dvr. I don;t really wan to have to wait around for the installer guy to show, didn't go so well the first time. Currently I have the dish on the roof, with two lines running down the wall. They are attached to a metal block, from which one line runs through the wall into the house. Can I split that line off to the second receiver or do I need to pull the other through the wall? Would a multiswitch help here?

I'm a cable refugee and a dish noob, if that isn't painfully obvious!

Yep, you'll have to pull the second line through the wall. Also what LNBF do you have. You need to make sure that it is a Dish Pro Plus (not just a Dish Pro). You will then need a Dish Pro Plus separator (should come with the 622). This will separate the signal being sent over the line so that you can connect a single line to both inputs on the 622. Note: this is not a "spliter" and can't be used like that.

Well, I didn't think it would be easy!

Before I get the ladder out, how can I tell what LNBF I have? And what if I want to add a third or fourth box down the road, what should I do now to make that easier?

thanks again!

okay, climbed up on the roof to verify what I have. It is a Dish 1000. The LNBF says "DP Plus Digital LNBF", and has three white caps (can't remember the name of the part). Inside the LNBF there are four coaxial connections, three of them have cables attached, although one is just tucked inside the arm and goes nowhere. Other two run down to the block on the wall, then one into the house.

So, if I understand correctly, I should have everything I need if as you say the separator is included.

Couple more questions if you don't mind...

What is the purpose of a DPP44?
Why are there four coaxial outputs on my lnbf? If it can output to four receivers, why the need for switches?

The 1000 (sounds like a 1000.2 maybe) can only handle 3 receivers with the built-in switch. Two lines are needed for each dual tuner receiver unless you use a separator and then only one line is needed from the dish to each receiver as in your case. The 44 switch is needed for more than 3 receivers. The line tucked inside is likely the one used for peaking by the installer. One of the coax connectors you're seeing is probably the lnb in port for connecting to a second sat dish. Thus there are 2 lines out to your house.

Last edited:
I think I am 99% clear now. Last question: What is the purpose of the two lines being combined into one before entering the house, (looking kind of like a reverse splitter)? IS that so both are grounded since I am only using one, and the second would otherwise not be grounded?

I think I am 99% clear now. Last question: What is the purpose of the two lines being combined into one before entering the house, (looking kind of like a reverse splitter)? IS that so both are grounded since I am only using one, and the second would otherwise not be grounded?

Based on what you described, your explanation sounds about right. It was a convenient way to park the second line until needed. I would replace it with a regular (2 in, 2 out) grounding block when you run the 2nd line into the house for the new receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)