What do you use Sling Adapter for & what would you like to use it for?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gireesh

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Attached to my 722K, I use it for:

(1) Watch recorded and live TV on my Android phone
(2) Watch recorded and live TV on HTPC in different room on my local network, excellent quality
(3) Watch recorded and live TV on HTPC over the Internet, with an uplink speed of 1.5Mb and downlink speed of 20Mb, player set to auto, OK quality, as long as there were not too many moving parts in the image

I had assign a static IP to 722k, and make some changes on my router to get everything to work smoothly.

What I like to use it with:

(1) Logitech Revue, the Sling Player for this is now available for download at Slingbox.com - SlingPlayer for Logitech Revue Set Up.

For some reason, Revue with the Sling Player installed, does not see my DVR.

Last edited:
You can't use the sling adapter with the sling player on the google revue unit. It isn't compatible. I use the sling pro hd box with the sling player and it works okay. I don't really use the sling adapter for much else. I don't watch tv over the computer. I don't have tv on my cell phone and I don't have an I pad. So pretty much the only reason I bought the sling adapter was to be able to use it with the mythical sling extender that never materialized . So a total loss of equipment for me.

I use the Sling Adaptor with Firefox and Chrome on both my desktop and laptop, and also on my LG Optimus Q Android. All versions work pretty well, but I'd really enjoy having more options for controlling the streaming quality of the broadcast on each.

For example, using the PC, with 'Good' quality I stream at around 2100 kbps. If I go to 'Better', it's around 6000 kbps. 'Best/HD' is around 8000 kbps. Even with 'Good', that's a lot of bandwidth to consume. It would be nice to have more options on the low end, such as 400, 800, or 1000 kbps.

The Android app is a little better with this, with the average being around 1000 kbps with my wifi, but with 3G sometimes even with 'standard quality' my streaming goes as high as 600 kbps. Again, how about being able to choose more options on the low end, such as a 150 kbps option? With a 2G monthly cap, these high streaming bitrates make me less able to use the application unless I'm on wifi.

Just a few suggestions. :)

When traveling, the Slingbox allows me to view my "Locals" while not "Local"! Think NFL, etc.? And whether on a 20MBPS network or even with 3G wireless, I am satisfied with HD quality (on the ++ MB connection) and "good" quality on my 3G while traveling- with few dropouts, unless I'm in a really remote area. Must admit,the way the video "chews up" my 3G Verizon time has to be carefully monitored, however...

I have my Sling Adapter/722 combo connected to a Verizon DSL router. Whenever I watch on the Droid, on 3G, the quality is low, on WiFi, the quality is high. Whenever I watch on my laptop, it depends on where I am. At home and other select places where the WiFi is good (Greyhound Bus, my cousin's place in NJ, Tim Horton's, etc.), the picture and streaming are great. Just don't try to watch your TV everywhere or any other type of video streaming at McDonald's, their WiFi is almost as slow as Dial up.

Ha... good to know that others are using it too.

I am trying not to build an HTPC where the Revue is... Revue just $79 now, a good wireless keyboard costs that much :)

If I use my 4G (Sprint WiMax) connection I get high quality. Home Internet is Time Warner 50meg/5meg Wideband, and the 722K with the sling adapter is connected via Wireless to my Cisco E4200, and the E4200 is connected to a Motorola SBG6580.

SUNDAYS

The main TV is on RedZone. Computer on the desk has dual 24" monitors. One has the stream of the game from local fox via sling adapter (just got to replace dying slingbox) and the other has the stream of the game from local cbs via SlingBox pro HD.

Wife thinks it's crazy......

That is genius. I am intending to make the jump myself for smilar reasons, though in my case it will be red zone on main tv, and whatever local game on the ipad sitting on the coffee table. I have pretty good PiP skills, but this seems better.

SUNDAYS

The main TV is on RedZone. Computer on the desk has dual 24" monitors. One has the stream of the game from local fox via sling adapter (just got to replace dying slingbox) and the other has the stream of the game from local cbs via SlingBox pro HD.

Wife thinks it's crazy......

I'd love to use it but it doesn't work with my 722 and 2wire Uverse modem. Set my 722 on DMZ mode...still works for a minute than quits. It blows

I'd love to use it but it doesn't work with my 722 and 2wire Uverse modem. Set my 722 on DMZ mode...still works for a minute than quits. It blows

I have the similar setup, 722k, and 3800HGV-B modem. 722 is in DMZ mode, and I stream halfway across the country at 1.4Mb and the quality is watchable on 1080p 55" TV. I stream for hours without any issues.

If you have the same modem I wonder what trouble you are running into... are you streaming UDP or TCP? I use TCP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)