What does Dish Network's HDTV Future hold?

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
If you checked out last nights Charlie Chat you will notice that Dish has big HDTV plans. The unclear picture is why you would want to upgrade to SuperDish is the HD package is on 110.

First off the HD package on 110 is only temporary, I expect it to be off 110 by March / April. So you will want a SuperDish by then. :)

However I have also heard some rumors floating around of why you might just want a SuperDish ASAP.

When you get your SuperDish you might just get an unexpected surprise, a few more HDTV Channels then you currently have. :) We have heard that Bravo HD is already a done deal, we have also heard that Dish has had some active discussions with IN HD. Plus its almost guaranteed that Dish will offer Starz HD and Starz Generic HD Movie Channel called "Sharper Movies HD" we are also hearing Cinemax HD will be available as well!

But the big news is probably the news is a group of channels that can be part time HD Channels will be offered to Dish Network Subscribers in "Extended Definition" what extended definition is we are not quite sure, it could be a less compressed version of some of your favorite channels, or it could be upconverted versions of the same channels.

The list of channels includes:
USA Network
Sci Fi Channel
HGTV
DIY
Food Network

The nice part of these extended definition channels is it allows these channels to run specials in full HDTV! For example in the past USA has had HDTV Tennis which was put on the special events HD channel. Now with this setup the show will be in HD on the US Extended Def Channel.

I also understand that HGTV, DIY and the Food Network who are owned by Scripps are all having their studios upgraded to HDTV, in fact I believe most shows on HDTV are now being shot in HDTV. These Extended Definition channels will allow a channel to build up their HD libraries without broadcasting HD 24 hours a day but in time they can seamlessly move to fulltime HDTV.

So I think that when the Free SuperDish upgrade is available if your a HDTV fan you should hop on the offer and quick!

Thats my thoughts on the subject, welcome to SatelliteGuys.US!

Scott,

I agree with you the Free SuperDish offer is no brainer. It's the best thing that E* has done in a while. I'll be one of the first to jump into it without a doubt.

Extended Definition: Isn't that what DBS was before D*/E* added all the LIL's and started to overcompress the signals? ;)

Exactly rad. :)

Although I would almost expect the Extended Def channels will be upconverts in 1080i this way when they do events in HD the switch is seemless and no reconfig of the uplink is needed, just a different input on the uplink switcher is needed to pass the true HD signal. :)

I thought I read somewhere that Enhanced or Extended Definition might be 16:9 in 480p, that your STB could upconvert to 720p or 1080i. Not HD, . . . but an improvement over SD any day. I think this would still allow the broadcaster and Dish to switch to true HD very easily and 'on the fly' when desired for specific shows. FYI, . . . I might have mis-read the information, . . . . sadly, it was a while ago and I can not remember where I originally saw it. Hopefully, ED is similar or better than what I described.

If so, ED with those channels would be a huge improvement and certainly a great reason to get the SuperDish upgrade for free as soon as possible!

brentp said:
I thought I read somewhere that Enhanced or Extended Definition might be 16:9 in 480p, that your STB could upconvert to 720p or 1080i. Not HD, . . . but an improvement over SD any day. I think this would still allow the broadcaster and Dish to switch to true HD very easily and 'on the fly' when desired for specific shows. FYI, . . . I might have mis-read the information, . . . . sadly, it was a while ago and I can not remember where I originally saw it. Hopefully, ED is similar or better that what I described.

If so, ED with those channels would be a huge improvement and certainly a great reason to get the SuperDish upgrade for free as soon as possible!

ED (Extended Definition) is what Fox has today. Widescreen 480P.

Shame the receiver doesn't have a little light that comes on different colors to show specifically what level of signal is being shown. Maybe Red/blue/Green for 480i 4x3/480p 16x9/ 1080i & 720p in 16x9. That way at a glance you see what's coming in. My sony receiver always has a blue light come on when ever it's receiving a 5.1 dolby digital signal.

I hope that they do add INHD and Bravo with the Superdish. You would probably only get the other channels if you subscibed to their standard definition counterpart (like HBO and Showtime). I still would like to see the other networks added in HD or at them minimum in this enhanced definition quality. I have had DBS since day 1 and have really been disappointed in the degradation of the picture quality as they have added locals and cable channels that hardly anyone watches. They should offer the top 10 cable channels in enhanced definition or no or little compression.

BTW, nice site Scot. Looks like it is growing fast. Good luck with it.

Scott Greczkowski said:
When you get your SuperDish you might just get an unexpected surprise, a few more HDTV Channels then you currently have. :) We have heard that Bravo HD is already a done deal, we have also heard that Dish has had some active discussions with IN HD. Plus its almost guaranteed that Dish will offer Starz HD and Starz Generic HD Movie Channel called "Sharper Movies HD" we are also hearing Cinemax HD will be available as well!.

USA Network
Sci Fi Channel
HGTV
DIY
Food Network

With new birds it would be nice to decompress some channels. They seem to do it for the movie channels like HBO. The quality is better that others. I would be satisfied with 480p on most channels.

Robert

Uncompressed channels?

Especially on ESPN and the main feeds of the networks from NY and LA for us white area viewers.

I'd be surprised if Dish Didn't add the West Coast Feeds of HBO-HD and SHO-HD. That would put them one up on Cable and definately D*.

If Charlie really has capacity for up to 50 HD channels, I'd also expect a few more HD PPV channels too. Why not, they'd bring in a few more bucks.

My Comcast HD service provides me the west coast feeds of HBO HD and Show HD, a big deal to me and a real product differentiator when comparing cable versus satellite. E* has to stop ignoring all of their customers here on the left hand coast and provide west coast feeds of not only those two channels, but others available as well.

We can not even get the HD demo channel out here to show off to our friends because it is only on the 61.5 bird, not 148. What's up with that, does E* believe it is important enough to have the channel, but only important enough to provide it to half the country?

I'm really just trying to say that they'd have both East and West as a incentive.

Oh, and don't sweat the demo channel. Its a loop that loses its appeal very quickly.

Yes, East and West HD feeds would be a real bonus. I hope that E* gets on this soon.

Anonymous said:
We can not even get the HD demo channel out here to show off to our friends because it is only on the 61.5 bird, not 148. What's up with that, does E* believe it is important enough to have the channel, but only important enough to provide it to half the country?

Have your friends visit Sears if they want to see the HD demo channel in the mean time.

Scott Greczkowski said:
USA Network
Sci Fi Channel
HGTV
DIY
Food Network

Mmm... Emiril Live in HDTV! The kids are going to love that one. Wasn't the Weather Channel also on that list? I'm referring to that list of channel logos on the Dish HD truck tour page: http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/hdtv_truck/index.shtml

Does E* still offer CBS-HD. I seem to remember way back when, that CBS-HD feed was available to those that already had networks authorized.

I could be wrong. :oops:

Yes it's still available, you must live in a CBS Owned and Operated Market or have a waiver for CBS.

There is an additional cost for the HD version, but it's not much.

Actually, if can clear the various landmines of waiver acquisition (I had to get one from a station 110 miles away!) there is no charge for CBS-DT.

Chris L
Austin, Texas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts