Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
With Dish's announcements that MPEG-4 is coming this year and all new HD programming will require MPEG-4 receivers, I guess we won't be living with the 811 bugs much longer. All the talk has been about the HD DVRs (and with the $$$ invested, that's understandable,) but just like the 5000 w/HDTV modulator, the 6000 and 811 will be joining the 921 and 942 on the trash heap of obsolescence. I don't feel too bad about the 6000, since I've had that for many years, and the the 811 I got for $149 a little under a year, that should be good for another year, too.

It means the same thing as it does for the DVR's. The 811 will not be able to pick up the new MPEG4 HD channels. (And same goes for the 6000)

So is it safe to say Dish will swap out my 811 for whatever they come out with to support this new MPEG-4? I don't own it; I don't think I even lease it. I dunno. I pay $40 per month for Americas Top 120, $10 for the HD pack and $5 for a second receiver(322). Seems like a great deal to me, unless the equipment stops working. I had no upfront costs, and no committment, so obviously, if Dish doesn't give me the appropriate equipment, I'll just quit and try Direct TV. Does Dish have any history of handling issues like this in the past?

Is it possible with the slot in the back of the 811 that an MPEG4 converter could be plug into the 811 and work?

upNdown,

You may have a "one year" commitment plan, where you don't pay for the receiver but you have to subcribe for a full year or receive a fee upon cancellation.

Some of the lease plans also have the lease price included in the package, so it may not be as clear. The lease plans are the "Dish Home Advantage" packages. If you see that on your billing, your receiver is leased.

I'll have to double check my contract. When I signed up, they told me repeatedly that there was no committment. Of course they also told me I could recieve my local channels in HD, so if they lied about that, who knows what else they lied about. I was aware these 'lies' when I got the installation, and I told myself I'd read the contract thouroughly before signing it, but after the long install, my wife just wanted her house back to herself, so I just signed. I'll check it tonight.

upNdown said:
... When I signed up, they told me repeatedly that there was no committment. Of course they also told me I could recieve my local channels in HD, so if they lied about that, who knows what else they lied about. ...
You CAN get your locals in HD, IF they broadcast in HD, AND your antenna is good enough, using the 811. :)

mdonnelly said:
You CAN get your locals in HD, IF they broadcast in HD, AND your antenna is good enough, using the 811. :)

I assume your tongue is planted firmly in your cheek here. I know all about that. My TV has a built in tuner, so the OTA tuner in the 811 is of little use to me. But obviously they didn't explain it that way when I signed up.

811 @ Ces2005

How to hook up TV2 of 322/522 on a PAL European TV?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)