What exactly is OTA?

Gebo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
I know it means "over the air" but why should I do it? What do I get out of it? Is is just the ability to record more programs?

well a few reasons...and I'll give examples of each
-can record extra programs. On my 211 I can record a sat program and a OTA program same time....works real snifty
-If a local is in HD and Dish doesnt carry it....you can see the channel in HD. My local Ion is in HD OTA...Dish its SD
-if there is a cool subchannel that a station carries OTA you can watch/ record that channel if you want. Here in Minneapolis we have 2 stations like that. ThisTV (shows movies) and the PBS MN channel (shows programs from various PBS stations in the upper midwest). Also on the Ion channel is Qubo (cartoons) and IonLife.
-There may be a station that Dish doesnt carry at all (and isnt a subchannel)
-If you're close enough to another markets locals you can get them too.

Also if the weather is bad, which can be often here in the south Florida summer, you can still wtch the locals in hd.

I know it means "over the air" but why should I do it? What do I get out of it? Is is just the ability to record more programs?

Hi, here is a few more to add to Iceberg's list: 1. Local weather and radar sweep may be available on one of the local sub channels. Here in Central Florida I get two and use them all the time to track local rain Ect. 2. During a signal lost from a rain storm you can switch to one of the local channels for something to watch. 3. You can watch storms develop and move into your area with number 1 above and make bets on when number two will happen ;-) Later, DC

It is amazing to me how many Dish subs I see that can easily receive their local channels OTA, have the correct Dish equipment, yet do not take advantage of it. I have a TV that is only connected to $20 rabbit ears and I receive every channel in perfect HD . If you've never tried it you should give it a shot. You can always take the rabbit ears back if they don't work.

It is amazing to me how many Dish subs I see that can easily receive their local channels OTA, have the correct Dish equipment, yet do not take advantage of it. I have a TV that is only connected to $20 rabbit ears and I receive every channel in perfect HD . If you've never tried it you should give it a shot. You can always take the rabbit ears back if they don't work.

Hi, you can also go to two really good web sites and check to see how much antenna would be required. Try: antennaweb.org and tvfool.com Later, DC

I live 4 miles over the county line which takes me out of the DFW DMA, DISH has to provide me with the Sherman/Denison DMA. With an OTA I can pickup 61 channels of free broadcasting. No I can't use rabbit ears but I find it a justifiable expemse for a TV antenna and amplifier.

I second that nomination for TVFool.com ... it gives you the ability to enter the info about your location, the height of your antenna, and get a really good idea of where to aim the antenna for the most signals, etc..

my case (western edge of Northern Virginia) I get about 15 channels (65 miles to the most *wanted* locals) and two of those offer 24/7 radar! :) The other added bonus of an additional 2 channels OTA for recording... :) never a monday night to have to split between two different DVR's .. :)

Who has the antenna plugged into the DISH receiver, and who plugs the antenna directly into the TV and uses a different input? Is there a pro or con to either? I know the locals OTA show up in yellow on the guide, but I seem to get a stronger signal going straight thru' the TV.

When I lose the signal due to a thunderstorm, I can't access my locals via the receiver. Is that normal?

Who has the antenna plugged into the DISH receiver, and who plugs the antenna directly into the TV and uses a different input? Is there a pro or con to either? I know the locals OTA show up in yellow on the guide, but I seem to get a stronger signal going straight thru' the TV.

When I lose the signal due to a thunderstorm, I can't access my locals via the receiver. Is that normal?

You can if you follow the directions earlier in the thread.

I hook mine directly to the receiver. Benefits are better. Allows me to DVR OTA shows and I don't have to switch inputs to view them.

RichManitoba said:

When you get the message about signal loss, push menu-1 and then chose the OTA channel (they will be in yellow).

Geoff

..... but again to emphasize the benefit ... when you add an OTA tuner to a 722k or 922 ... you get an additional two tuners. If you're in a good signal area, then you get your locals via OTA ... so if you want to record something on Local Fox, Local NBC, Local CBS, and USA all at the same time.. the 722k/922 with the OTA would allow you to set a timer for *TWO* of your locals via the antenna ... and then the 3rd of your Locals and 105 USA network via Satellite ....so you'd get four channels recording at the same time (and if you wanted, you could playback something from the DVR while all that was going on too!

*IF* you get a good signal for locals.. you really are getting a great benefit using the OTA module.

I have my OTA hooked up to both TV and STB, because when the weather is bad, I get a more reliable signal when connected directly to the TV.

It isn't a one or the other proposition. Split the OTA feed to both the Dish receiver and your TV. That way you can still watch TV OTA even if the receiver is recording on all the OTA tuners.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)